1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

. I'm not sure what GMG the most today; yet another mass shooting in the USA or yet more bollocks from Bojo and his cronies.

2. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

One GMG the other makes me extremely sad. No comparison.

3. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Nothing showing on the link, Kate (I suspect that it needs to read 'something' from your computer, in order to display the location) but, sadly, the story doesn't surprise me.

Up until about a year ago, I found DPD to be among the best couriers. YMMV, of course, but that was my experience. However, recently they seem to have become extraordinarily useless.

Quite how they have managed to morph from 'good' to 'bad', I don't know. My suspicion is that there's probably a very senior manager who'll be in line for a big bonus, as a reward for whichever idiotic cost-cutting 're-structure' they have wrought upon that company. :mad: Of course, I could be wrong... but I wouldn't mind betting that I'm not far from the truth.

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Sorry about the link not working.
    https://track.dpd.co.uk/parcels/15504499905983*19868/events

Basically it shows the name and address of the customer in Slough and the details of the journey the parcel took.
    I've emailed the company I ordered from to tell them what has happened and to ask if my order is still on its way or if they now think it has been delivered! I wouldn't mind so much but it was very expensive and if it has been cocked up then I want a refund.

5. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

a) take screen shots of everything relevant,
    b) did you pay by credit card directly - it gets comlicated if a third party agency is involved inc. paypal.

Catriona likes this.
  6. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Television Subtitles.

The wife tends to get up earlier than me. She usually puts the TV on and watches something off Netflix or similar. She is a little hard of hearing so she puts the subtitles on to avoid having to have the volume turned up too loud.

This morning the film she was watching was one of those which seemed to be made entirely in the dark. That in itself was no problem, but the subtitle text was in black font. For the majority of the film she said it was impossible to read what was on the screen.

Do the filmmakers or whoever add’s subtitles, actually view the films before they broadcast them…..??

peterba and Zou like this.
  7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Looks like the swear filter is broken! Is handbag no more?

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2022
    Zou likes this.
  8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Sssh! ;)

Zou likes this.
  9. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

In a similar position a few years ago, I used a pair of wireless headphones. They were a Phillips model and were very comfortable to wear.

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I can only watch TV with subtitles on, have done for 15+ years, but sitting here this minute I can’t visualise how they are displayed. I don’t think I’ve ever not been able to read them, though sometimes they do obscure what’s on screen. One of the challenges of hotel TVs is figuring how to turn the subtitling on.

RogerMac likes this.
  11. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

What constantly GMGs are online ads that claim that something I've never heard of is "Taking the UK, Epsom, or my street, by storm". How could I click through on anything that starts with a blatant lie?

12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Even better when the location detection is poor and it tells you it's taking your neighborhood in Oregon by storm.

RovingMike likes this.
  13. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Tomorrow, in Texas, Trump, Greg Abbott and Ted Cruz will all be together in the same place and time - at the NRA annual conference. What an excellent opportunity for some folk to practice their second amendment rights - but I understand the NRA have, for the first time, banned guns in the conference.

Strange, that...

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2022
  14. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Probably have not banned their members taking them to schools though.:(

15. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

No no no - you just don't understand. There needs to be more guns in schools - armed teachers, patrols of armed retired law enforcement officers or veterans. Hell - don't stop there - arm the kids - can't start them too young. Must get rid of 'evil' in society by developing full scale firefights in schools. The problem is not too many guns - it's not enough guns, nothing like enough guns.

Guns guns guns - we need more guns - everybody needs guns! Only then can we stop the killing!

Reminds me of Abbot Arnaud Amalric at Beziers - "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius." I have learnt, pretty much, to accept the world the way it is, flaws and all, but the murder of children enrages me - the more so when it was clearly preventable.

16. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

I understand that the NRA believes the solution is to ban schools!

peterba likes this.
  17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

More effective than banning guns tho. :rolleyes:

18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The NRA's position is that guns don't kill people, which is, I suppose, reasonable. Unfortunately what they don't say is that people with guns kill people so what can we remove from this equation? The NRA response would probably be "remove the people" but we all know that removing the guns is the right answer.

What about the second amendment? How about reinterpreting it for the 21st century and put much more emphasis on the "disciplined militia" bit. Yes, anyone can "bear arms" as part of a militia. These militia already exist, they are called the National Guard. A final thought, the constitution mentions "the right to bear arms" it does not mention the right to own a gun nor does it specify what type of arms. Give everybody a ceremonial (blunt) sword and see what they think of that.

AndyTake2 and peterba like this.
  19. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

So, in the land of the free, the safest land in the world, they are banning the right to abort a child but will let young adults buy rifles enabling them to kill older children. Freedom.

AndyTake2, LesleySM and peterba like this.
  20. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Just an update. Alarms arrived today. Now I don't know if the texts were a genuine mistake or something else.

John Farrell likes this.