1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

The guy who thought it was OK to let his dog sh!t on the pavement and then walk off without picking it up :mad:

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I need a drink.
    In a website going to copy a link for my neifgbour and my PC switched off. Second time it has done that recently. Kept trying to boot up and got there eventually, but not before I contacted my PC man who is coming tomorrow to pick the box up. Then I messed up my bookmarks somehow and have just sorted them out.
    I'm now coming down from my panic attack but hardly feeling good!
    Think I'll let my PC man take it away and check it all out.

By the way, do you all save your images to cloud? Or just to external storage.
    I've no idea how to back up my ancientt system. I'm just getting too old.

3. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I'm wary of cloud backups (slow upload speed, security of stored data and future existence of the site). For many years I have used an external disc drive that attaches to a USB2 port on the PC, and once a month I COPY my pictures folder from the PC hard drive to the external drive. The external drive is large enough to hold 4 copies, so each month I delete the oldest one and then copy the new one to a folder called BACKUPYYYYMMDD (ie. BACKUP20220115). I also copy my folders of documents, bookmarks and email stuff from the PC. The smaller folders copy quickly, but the pictures folder now takes about 2.5 hours. A suitable external drive can cost only £50 or £60 pounds, so it might be worth asking your PC man for advice about hardware and cables (my external drive needs the high speed USB2 cables and PC sockets to work reliably). The backup time may appear long, so do this when you don't need to use the PC.

My wife recently managed to delete a folder within her Word documents, and it was restored from the last backup within a few minutes. She had to recreate one new letter, but this was all part of the learning experience. Also, in late 2017 my (then) PC had problems with corruption on its hard disc, and I had to use a 3 month old backup to retrieve a few uncorrupted pictures after getting a new PC and copying all my pictures from the old to the new PC.

Catriona likes this.
  4. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Im sure if we didnt we still would

Zou likes this.
  5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Computers can overheat if they get too full of dust and the cooling fans don't go around as they should. They will shut themselves down if this happens.

On my mac I run a system backup - it comes with the operating system. Plug an external hard drive in, tell the system you've given it a back-up device and off it goes. On top of that I manually copy my picture folders to another external hard drive, together with my Lightroom catalog, and I keep this drive locked away.

I must find out how to turn on the cloud storage of volatile data. I turned it off when I lost my iPad and got scared stiff of the thought of someone getting into everything but the iPad turned up (found in a London car park and handed in to a hotel we had stayed at) after a few months. It had wiped itself so someone must have had a go at guessing the password. I was totally surprised that it restored itself more or less completely from a backup of itself on the cloud that I didn't know about. Now I think it worth having that element of cloud storage - just got to figure out how to turn it back on and hope that the settings on the mac overwrite the old ones in the cloud and not vice versa.

On my PC(s) I use cloud back up mostly but they are only used for work and I have office 365 business edition. The amount of storage is small. It means that if I need to travel with a laptop then I have access to everything without trouble. I do keep a manual copy of the main folders too. I wrote a batch file that uses robocopy (really it is a system command short for robust copy) to synchronise folders - it will do incremental changes so will pick up on additions and deletions rather than copying the lot everytime.

If I used a PC for everything I'd invest in back-up software that did incremental disk images. Can't offhand think of the name of the famous one.

Catriona likes this.
  6. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I use a PC, and "Folder Clone" for my automatic backups. I use two external hard drives.
    A short time ago I was without access to the Internet, and was glad that my important data was held local to me, and not "in the cloud" - which I also use.

7. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Tomorrow I have the "investigative" hearing at work namely the prelude for giving me the boot
    It's been postponed twice because my rep is off sick and this time we even lined up a reserve union rep
    Main rep still sick
    Reserve rep has suffered a close family bereavement
    Main rep is pretty sure she will be okay for next week or if not will be able to organise another reserve rep
    Management have refused to postpone the meeting

8. Catriona

What's worse than finding a fault on my PC?
    Not finding a fault on my PC.

9. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Finding half a maggot in your Apple?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    Zou and Catriona like this.
  10. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Not finding your pc

Catriona likes this.
  11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Being arrested by a PC for being non-PC?

peterba likes this.
  12. Catriona

Ah! But what IS politically correct these days? :rolleyes:

13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

It depends on who you are speaking to in some cases. The problem of expressing views about contentious issues on social media is that you have to write the same comments to everyone.

Catriona likes this.
  14. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

15. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

17. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Sad indeed. I expect that there will be a friendly and affectionate obit in the next 'Memento'. He was before my time. I wonder if he was a class clown.

Benchista likes this.
  18. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

He said he was to avoid bullying

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Fascinating to learn that the UK has exported double the usual amount of gas in the last 3 months for which figures are available. But sure, there's a supply crisis and the price rises are inevitable. :rolleyes:

peterba and daft_biker like this.
  20. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I don't know what your skills are, but at the moment driving a home delivery van for one of the big supermarket chains looks like a secure job for the foreseeable future. The drivers from Waitrose who come here very week tell us that their employer is always looking for reliable drivers. It might not be the kind of work you want, but sometimes you have to take what you can get (this happened to me when I was 46, and from then until I retired I earned about half the income I had when I was 45). How much do you like your current job? Or, how much do you like an employer that has 'investigative' hearings?

Multinationals do this differently, or at least they did to me in 1993. The Corporate Head of IT from the US came to the UK subsidiary and told the IT team that we were valued and that further investment was planned, so unlike the rest of the team I immediately prepared an updated CV ready for prompt despatch if required. Six months later the UK subsidiary was sold to the US Company's competitor in Europe and all the UK IT team got one month's notice.