1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

With my daughter being vegan, if she wants any of that stuff she just refers to it as “pretend chicken” or whatever the meat is supposed to be.

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Reluctantly have to agree on that. This morning was not nice at all.

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

We couldn't even switch the lights off properly. But the championship is more our level, so *shrugs*.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

TV adverts are something I avoid. Usually I channel swap using the “back” button and, because I mostly watch repeats, I can happily watch 2 channels and fill in the bits so long as ads aren’t synchronised. I’ve taken on a LG smart TV. I am 100% convinced that it is programmed to prevent the back button swapping off a movie channel (Freeview 33) once that channel has been playing for more than one minute. Less than a minute I can swap back and forth as much as I like. It works perfectly otherwise. It is driving me mad!

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

We just record everything, so it's easy to avoid the adverts. ;)

6. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Bloody idiots using chainsaws without any PPE of any kind.

Have seen two in the last ten days.

S

peterba likes this.
  7. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Surely Matt Hancock's brother's wife's uncle's sister-in-law's cousin's son could source some dodgy PPE for them? All at vast expense to the tax-payer....... and, of course, wholly unfit for purpose. :confused: o_O

8. peterba

There's someone near us who seems to think that everyone in the vicinity wants nothing more than to hear the sound of revving chainsaws every weekend - and in the summer, every evening and weekend. :mad:

9. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Maybe you shouldn’t live in a forest :):)

10. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Not a white-bearded old fart with an overweight collie is he? Asking for a friend.

S

11. peterba

Damn....... I should have thought of that!!

Sometimes, I can't see the wood for the trees. ;)

12. peterba

Not unless your (friend's) chainsaw is so loud that the sound travels the best part of 200 miles, Steve! :eek:

steveandthedogs likes this.
  13. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Well, so long as he doesn't wear a hockey mask while chainsawing... :eek:

Gezza likes this.
  14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If people are stupid enough to use a chainsaw without PPE surely that is their lookout.

However, I regularly see PPE symbols on things I buy, sometimes I agree with the need for it but mostly the don’t. For example, PPE to tap a hole? The best protection for the job is to know what you are doing. If I buy cable, fuses, plugs etc. there is always a label saying “consult a qualified electrician”, I tend to think 45 years in avionics is qualification enough, if the job needs certification I’ll find someone with the right paperwork.

I haven’t needed to use a chainsaw but if I did I would get the right PPE, I rather like having the issued number of arms and legs.

15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

One is never accused of being a glory-hunter following Watford and St. Johnstone but after their relative successes last season the last few weeks have been just one long WTF moment. :(

16. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I have never needed the use of a chainsaw but there are often occasions where the use of a chainsaw saves a lot of hard work. Rather than get the right PPE, training, and chainsaw, I ask someone else to use a chainsaw and a retire to a safe distance.

17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Sounds reasonable. I use a bow saw but my only “trees” are tiny.

18. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I have three different chainsaws for different jobs, but I ALWAYS wear a facemask when I'm using one. :D

Nig likes this.
  19. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Depending upon what I am cutting and constraints of space I either use a Silky Zubat (390mm or 240mm) pull saw or a bow saw.
    and suitable boots and leggings one hopes.

20. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I'm past grinding my gears about Boris and his gang having yet another lockdown party, but how long do we have to put up with his toadies ignoring the fact that if something quacks like a duck, waddles like a duck, and swims like a duck, it is most likely a duck.

Carrie-Antoinette :
    Invites sent✔️
    Decorated birthday cake purchased ✔️
    Buffet organised✔️
    Get everyone to sing happy birthday ✔️
    Toast the birthday boy with glasses of sherry✔️

George Eustice:
    "This clearly wasn't a party".

Zou, Learning, WillieJ and 7 others like this.