1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Google. Got a new router so updating wifi settings etc. Chromecast insists you need the latest version of the Home app, which demands you give permissions it doesn't need and softly mines for more data. Handbags.

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Oh, and Erudio student loans. They are utterly incompetent.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I am rapidly taking the view that Google is best avoided.

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Indeed. Only issue is every other tech company is equally awful.

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Yes but probably less organised about their mining operations, at least one hopes that is the case.

6. CollieSlave

CollieSlave Well-Known Member

Scum 'Amazon account' scam phone messages! Had one yesterday at 6.50am!!! And today at 7.50!! Same message, different numbers. We are elderly pensioners and do not want this sh*t! Using 1572 doesn't stop the sods - they simply switch numbers!

7. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

We have now unplugged our landline and just use the mobile phones. We couldn’t stop the scam calls. They can even make the numbers look like they are coming from your local area code.

Zou, Derek W and Nig like this.
  8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Touching wood - the number of spam calls for us seems to have dropped these last couple of months. It was a veritable plague. Before 08:00 is really out of order. We used to get them mostly in the 09:00 - 18:00 slot. We registered for the "whatever-it-is-called" anti-nuisance call service from BT but you can only block a fixed set of numbers and, as you say, the numbers get permuted on a regular basis so call blocking doesn't work.

9. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

When I first moved into my house some years back I got a new line/number which I never gave to anyone, for over a year I never got a single call in on it and nor did I make any calls.

Then it started, scam call after scam call, in the end like you I just unplugged the landline and now just use my mobile.

10. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I've found activating my mobile and Landline answerphone function kills off the vast majority of these, as they hate hanging on as it's costing them money.

11. PeteRob

I should have stayed silent (#12088). I asked my wife if we had had recent calls and she looked at me in amazement and said no! Ten minutes later - someone rang claiming to be from the lottery. You can't win.

12. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

A Call Guardian phone has a massive effect on cutting out scam calls. Got one in 2014 when I cut my working days to 4 and would not be without one.

13. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I’m somewhat doubtful that telecom companies would wish to reduce or eliminate scam telephone calls.
    Those who make the calls must pay to make them…??

14. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Not wishing to tempt fate, but since we kicked BT to the kerb for our land line provision the scam/spam calls have all but dried up.

15. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Ah, but whilst someone is hanging on the line waiting for the 'victim' to pick up, they'll be making fewer calls - whoever is funding these calls, will be demanding the operators make more than a specific number of calls per day.

16. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Golf started OK today. Nice birdie on 4, then back started to twinge. By 12 it was hitting me with electric bolts. Parred 13, but that was the end. Collapsed in agony a couple of times on 14 and decided to walk in. Never done that before in my life. Osteopath at 2.30 tomorrow :(

17. PeteRob

Pushing your luck a bit! Hope it gets sorted out. There are few things worse than back problems.

RovingMike likes this.
  18. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Just take it steady - hope things improve.
    Important to know when to stop - should have stopped before that 12, consider yourself nagged:eek:
    Any form of rotation is going to pi$$ your back off, so make sure you don't go back to golf before it is behaving itself. Hope the Osteopath helps.

RovingMike and WillieJ like this.
  19. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Boiler's pressure release safety valve has sprung a leak. Losing pressure quickly.
    Now got to wait a week for a replacement. Think hot water bottles are going to come into play for a few days... and duvets!

20. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

You could possibly flick the lever up and down as its often just a little bit of crud on the rubber that stops it sealing properly but only do that if you know how to top the pressure back up again.