1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

If you'd stopped at "event" you would have been correct, the word "accident" being neutral and referring, as you say, to an unintended event.

2. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

yeah, well, I reckon a hell of a lot folk in the world are accidents.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Hence my contention that the opposite of accident is deliberate, for which you may wish to read intentional, pre-meditated etc. The police are wrong in their contention that the term "accident" implies that there is no blame, it does nothing of the sort. These definitions apply to aircraft but could easily be adapted to road traffic.

An "accident" is defined as an occurrence associated with the operation of an aircraft which, in the case of a manned aircraft, takes place between the time any person boards the aircraft with the intention of flight until such time as all such persons have disembarked, or in the case of an unmanned aircraft, takes place between the time the aircraft is ready to move with the purpose of flight until such time as it comes to rest at the end of the flight and the primary propulsion system is shut down, in which:

a) a person is fatally or seriously injured as a result of:
    • being in the aircraft, or
    • direct contact with any part of the aircraft, including parts which have become detached from the aircraft, or
    • direct exposure to jet blast, except when the injuries are from natural causes, self-inflicted or inflicted by other persons, or when the injuries are to stowaways hiding outside the areas normally available to the passengers and crew; or
    b) the aircraft sustains damage or structural failure which:
    • adversely affects the structural strength, performance or flight characteristics of the aircraft, and
    • would normally require major repair or replacement of the affected component, except for engine failure or damage, when the damage is limited to a single engine (including its cowlings or accessories), to propellers, wing tips, antennas, probes, vanes, tires, brakes, wheels, fairings, panels, landing gear doors, windscreens, the aircraft skin (such as small dents or puncture holes), or for minor damages to main rotor blades, tail rotor blades, landing gear, and those resulting from hail or bird strike (including holes in the radome); or
    c) the aircraft is missing or is completely inaccessible.

A “serious incident” means an incident involving circumstances indicating that there was a high probability of an accident and is associated with the operation of an aircraft.

A “serious injury” means an injury which is sustained by a person in an accident and which:

(a) requires hospitalisation for more than 48 hours, commencing within seven days from the date the injury was received; or

(b) results in a fracture of a bone, excluding simple fractures of fingers, toes, or nose; or

(c) involves lacerations which cause severe haemorrhage, nerve, muscle or tendon damage; or

(d) involves injury to an internal organ; or

(e) involves second or third degree burns, or any burns affecting more than 5 per cent of the body surface; or

(f) involves verified exposure to infectious substances or harmful radiation.

4. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Received an email saying my London Northwestern cancelled train compensation has been approved. Couple of days ago a voucher arrived which could be used to buy tickets or could be redeemed for cash.

First problem. Voucher can only be used or redeemed at a ticket office. Cannot be used to buy tickets online which is what I usually do.

Second problem. Was in Stafford yesterday so went to the railway station to get a refund on the voucher. Sorry the girl said but you need to go to a London Northwestern ticket office, we are Avanti. ‘So you can’t do it then’ I said. ‘No we can’t’. So then I asked her if she could sell me a ticket to travel on a London Northwestern train, ‘yes she said’. So she (Avanti) will take my money to buy a London Northwestern train ticket, but they won’t refund my money if that train is cancelled.

Now the voucher is only for £5.40 but that’s not the point. My nearest London Northwestern ticket office is in Lichfield approx 10 miles away. The voucher lasts for 12 months so it’ll keep until I’m in Lichfield. They really don’t like giving money out do they….. :(:(

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I take it you're speaking from personal experience? ;)

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

If you have time on your hands and like to stir things up a bit then how about letter to your MP, letters to local councillors, contact local radio and TV.

7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

My bloody boiler again. It has packed in this morning and showing a fault. No heating, no hot water and our Airbnb is in use so can’t move in there.

Luckily I have an insurance policy that covers home emergencies so now waiting on an engineer to come.

I have a feeling that my CH system is reaching the end of its life.

8. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Oh dear. I'm phoning my contract people again on Monday re mine. the last fix has beggared it even more. The boiler is c6years old. Hardly knackered yet I'd have thought.

9. dream_police

I think you jinxed it after your message the other day!

10. Catriona

:(:(:confused::eek::oops::oops:
    Mine too!

dream_police likes this.
  11. dream_police

Well, the heating engineer got here at around 1315, which was pretty good. He found it was something to do with the spark generator. Replaced a part, all within the time it took for him to drink a cup of tea. All that cost me £25 excess on my insurance policy. I now have heat and means we can go out to the Van Gogh Live exhibition in Manchester as we do not have to wait in.

Catriona likes this.
  12. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Washer Dryer died.

It tripped the mains circuit breaker and the basics didn't fix it.
    Engineer supposed to ehere yesterday but was stuck on a job till 9.30 at night.
    Waiting for him some time before 5.30 today.
    Right at a time when we are completely skintypoos! Got enough to pay for the visit, but the rest will have to go on credit card. Had to cancel Mrs Ts holiday now,so a wee bit pi$$Ed off.

Just hope it doesn't cost much,and doesn't need replacing:mad:;)

13. dream_police

Hope it gets sorted as cheaply as possible Andy

14. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

My machine did the same last year, every time I turned it on it would trip the electrics.

Turned out there was nothing wrong with the machine and the fault was the plug socket it was plugged into, once the socket had been replaced everything worked as it should and no more tripping of the electrics

15. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Thanks.
    Tech just came, only going to cost under £100, in and out like a Tazmanian Devil, knew his stuff.

Part will be here in a couple of days:)

Catriona likes this.
  16. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

He must be getting on a bit now.

17. dream_police

Should have left him buried. That was absolutely shite. I have heard good reports about it, but I thought it was a total rip off. I am glad I hadn’t bought the tickets myself. It could have been done so much better, or not even done at all. Perhaps I am just a philistine.

18. Catriona

Was there a lot of artybolox?

19. dream_police

No, not at all. There wasn’t anything really to justify the £23 per person entry fee

Catriona likes this.
  20. Catriona

What the heck! I tried to reply to the above and got the message you do not have permission to view this page... duh?