1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Never been in a Weatherspoons, come to that can't remember the last time I was in a pub, must be over 15 years ago.

2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

If I am in a town and we fancy a pub, we have always walked by them, no matter where it has been and found a different establishment. i would rather go without than go in one.Perhaps I am a snob, perhaps we have been unlucky but they never look inviting!

My daughter, certainly when a student, used them but I guess they are cheap. Now, I think she uses them less and uses more traditional pubs.

Zou likes this.
  3. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Never been in a Witherspoon's. If I should want to go to a pub there's a very nice one just up the road.

4. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

One plus with Wetherspoons, and yes even with the negatives there is a plus, is that many Wetherspoon establishments are in old unused buildings such as cinemas, old banks etc of which many would by now either be demolished or boarded up.

5. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

So they are a barrier to affordable housing in towns too?

Zou likes this.
  6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Which cloud are you on Andrew? If the buildings Wetherspoons occupy were demolished they wouldn't be replaced with affordable housing, more likely high end housing.

Anything that stops buildings being replaced with expensive flats is good in my opinion, obviously having them used for some sensible purpose would be a bonus.

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Obviously the difference between BBC LR and BBC R3

8. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

That’s fortunate if you live somewhere which has more inviting traditional pubs. The ‘traditional’ pubs in my town are basically dumps. They are manly frequented by the loud foul mouthed tossers who’ve been banned from Wetherspoons. Luckily I have a micro pub near. Only ‘real ales’ and no television and more importantly no lager.

9. dream_police

They must have been bad then!

Zou and dangie like this.
  10. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

‘I’ve never been in a Wetherspoons is similar to I’ve never seen Coronation Street’.
    I take both comments with a pinch of salt.

11. dream_police

Depends what you mean by "I've never seen Coronation Street" I have been in a house, certainly when working when it will have been on, so theoretically I have seen it. Have I ever watched it? No. Has it ever been on in my house? No. My parents never watched it when growing up, I have never felt the need to watch it either.

One of my neighbours in my last house was a Coronation Street actor. I knew who he was just as general knowledge. He had a big part at the time but I never saw him in it. I once led a group to fight a development of my next door neighbours hosue. I spoke to the actor about using his name in the press as he would also have been affected by it. He said no, as the press constantly wrote negative things about him and he wanted nothing to do with them!

12. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I should have put some cheeky smilies after that post. However, the term affordable housing is defined by government and doesn't mean what you or I think is affordable. Sometimes permission to develop an area requires a small percentage of affordable housing somewhere....the SNP have ambitious housing targets which will involve building lots more expensive properties to meet. Either way redeveloping old buildings is preferable to developing green space, IMO.

13. Ascu75 AKA Don Wood

Ascu75 AKA Don Wood Well-Known Member

bureaucracy In social services

14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Try to get a company to stop sending catalogues. Sloping shoulders all round.

15. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Especially when Dad is buying;):)

dream_police and peterba like this.
  16. Learning

I have been in a Wetherspoons (with company who thought it good value) and drank beer there. The beer wasn't bad. The prices weren't bad. The ambiance was not really to my liking. It crossed my mind that I probably did not enhance the ambiance created for their regulars.

17. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

If you have an address for the company, send it back without paying postage....... and keep doing that each time a new catalogure arrives. They'll get charged double (IIRC) each time, for receiving a catalogue that they don't want.

If they've got any sense (not guaranteed, of course :rolleyes:), they'll make sure it all stops.

Catriona likes this.
  18. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

You found one with ambience? :)

dream_police likes this.
  19. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

I've never been in a Weatherspoons - they don't have them here. I have, however, seen Coronation Street - back in the 1960s. Once, as the theme music played, and the camera panned over the chimney tops, my dad commented he'd had streets like that demolished - when he was working in Sunderland as a health inspector.

20. Learning

I own up to be not very good at spelling.
    Of course Wetherspoons has ambience. Its just not the sort of ambience that I (and I guess you) appreciate.

peterba likes this.