1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

There are also the other parties costs to consider if you lose.

2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Yes, you are probably right.

Ascu75 AKA Don Wood likes this.
  3. dream_police

From what I have read, they take out an insurance policy to cover a loss, which is why they probably only take on those that have a good chance of success. One pf our friends used to work for solicitors that dealt with this sort of thing, but as an accountant and not a lawyer. I think he has good knowledge about it all and may in fact recommend a company to us.

4. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Back in the 1970s, the government here brought in a compulsory accident injury insurance scheme, funded by a tax on incomes, and levies on car registration etc. Now, almost all court cases arising from accidents are government agencies prosecuting companies for unsafe practices or conditions. Those injured in accidents have income payouts and free treatment.

5. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I may have mentioned it before but I think this wins hands down:
    "You work for the NHS?"
    "Yes"
    "Well you can understand how important it is. Could you please fill in the customer satisfaction survey?"
    (slightly hysterical laughter) "But I'm not the customer he is! And if he fills it in I'll be very surprised"!" Pointing at the "customer" namely my partner who had died less than 5 minutes ago

6. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Do you think it might help reporting to the H&S people at the Council? It's official response/recognition of accident happening and date etc.

Zou and Learning like this.
  7. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Unfortunate. I had my under 65 jab today. I didn’t realise the over 65s were given a different version.

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I'm a bit rusty on RIDDOR* but broken limbs are reportable.

*If it was a workplace accident, definitely reportable. A third party visiting your premises, not sure...

9. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Dont think it makes a difference.

Graeme

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Just had a look and I think it does, not a workplace incident if on paving outside.

11. dream_police

It has certainly been reported by them, accident book completed anyway. HO have a copy of that. It is not council land, I spoke to them last week. Waitrose confirm that they own and are responsible for the area.

Catriona and Learning like this.
  12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I would expect them to settle, possibly in return for NDA. You would not be able to tell us how the story ended but should get damages.

13. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Near to us there is a small area of grass/trees situated on a T-Junction. Never, and I mean never, have I ever seen anything dumped on this bit of land.

The council has this week erected a ‘No Tipping’ sign.

What has appeared today…… a discarded sofa & mattress.

Who in the council think that erecting a No Tipping sign would stop someone from tipping? Do they think that someone would drive up, see a No Tipping sign then drive off to find somewhere else….??

Just what planet are they on…….

daft_biker likes this.
  14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Zog?

WillieJ likes this.
  15. LesleySM

8am this morning the gas engineer showed up hopefully to fix my heating and hot water supply..
    The boiler isn't pressurised enough he tells me (Remember just over a month ago the whole thing passed a gas safety check although as is the norm every year the engineer topped up the pressure) so he will need to get a pump fitted to boost things but he has no idea how long that will take
    Then he goes, I swear, he comes back, spoken to his boss who thinks the water pressure in the whole building is the issue...And guess what?
    Not their problem I will have to contact the landlord to get that sorted and then.....
    They'll come round and re-pressurise the boiler! So that will be an extra 2 days of my leave waiting round to get this sorted and my landlord is really slow on repairs they once left me 5+ months in winter with no heating or hot water. They did give me a fan heater so they can say they haven't left me with no heating but those things are only marginally cheaper than burning fivers to keep warm! And as far as they are concerned if I have electric then I can always boil a kettle for hot water

Just to top it off I get a very nasty email from my manager. She is an OCD neat freak and so are a couple of other people in the office, well with no hot water for over a week and with no heating the flat gets a bit damp so there have been "complaints" about my personal hygiene, so basically if I haven't got my hot water etc sorted by Monday then I am walking back in for a disciplinary action

Oh and I interviewed for a job yesterday, they really liked me but another candidate had experience in the speciality (Read: Temp in post) but there will be another post coming up soon and they want me to go for that, which is the only good news I had all day

16. dream_police

Do they not have showers at work? Every place I have worked there have been showers, for people running and cycling to work etc.

Or boil a kettle for a basin wash?

17. LesleySM

No showers I suppose I can do a basin wash but I suspect this would not be enough to satisfy madam! She's determined to prove she isn't just a squeaky teen by getting rid of someone and she knows I applied for the job she got

18. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

'Mrs Brown's Boys'

While I totally agree that what makes you laugh is down to personnel taste, how anyone can find that sh*te 'Mrs Brown's Boys' remotely humorous is way beyond me.

dream_police and Gezza like this.
  19. LesleySM

Dave liked it, I thought it was marginally more entertaining than watching paint dry

20. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

One funny line per programme