1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Let's see how well Germany's system works. I doubt that they will have a Chancellor by Christmas.
    In spite of that I'm not taking bets for before November 1st. (Bets only between face to face friends, not web, and only a for a drink (which no doubt would be reciprocated)).

2. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

And of course there's that social media thing "it doesn't matter who you vote for, the government still gets in" which probably sounds very clever to the average young person but is actually meaningless.

3. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

WGYG

Walking to the Co-Op tonight and there was a group of young people walking towards me so I stood back to let them through because the pavement is a bit narrow at that point.
    As they went past one of them grabbed my arm and said "No need to hurry luv they've sold out of doughnuts" and then he and his mates had a laugh

Now I'm a fat bird I have no delusions about that but for some reason this has pissed me right off!

It's probably that some yoof feels its perfectly acceptable to grab my arm, which I believe constitutes assault and make nasty comments since I am just some fat old bird and don't count

4. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

:(

That would piss me off as well!

I once had to grab a sandwich between meetings and was eating it as I stood waiting for the bus when, from a bunch of feral young people, a feral female said to me: "Think you have eaten to many of them already fat boy"

I immediately responded with "At least I can diet, not much you can do about your face though love is there?"

DaveM399 likes this.
  5. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I wonder how many sat in queues over the weekend waiting to fill their fuel tank just so they could do the school run this morning?
    Bit of a controversial question I know. Everyone is entitled to do what they wish.

6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Or drove 50 miles trying to fill up for their 10 mile commute?

Zou likes this.
  7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I remember when the school run WAS the school run. Only when it got to 10 miles did I catch a bus.

PS And please don't say it was safer then. It wasn't.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  8. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

It probably was safer back then, simply because you had more road sense :)

Zou and Catriona like this.
  9. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I am just up at a friends house near Wetherby. We have just been into the town. There are long queues to get into the Morrisons filling station. Literally across the road is a shell garage with no queues at all. I know it’ll be a few pence per litre more than Morrisons but I know where I’d be getting my fuel from.

GeoffR likes this.
  10. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Thought I'd put some fuel in today - usual amount.

Fat Chance.
    No bugger's got any. All those half-wits I saw the other day taken it all.:mad:

11. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I’m glad I filled up my van with diesel last Tuesday at Costco before this fuel issue was a thing, so at least I can get us down the country and across to France as each station I have visited since Saturday have had no diesel. My petrol car was on the petrol warning light yesterday when I headed up to Yorkshire. It was only a minimal queue in Tesco but only half the pumps were working but like others it had no diesel either. It could have been a shit start to our trip if I only got as far as Birmingham!

12. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I'll probably need to fill up tomorrow or Wednesday morning, so I'm hoping there's some by then. Especially as I'm going to Milton Keynes at the weekend (someone has to) and then Dorset the weekend after... I can borrow SWMBO's car to get us to the weekend, but if we can't make it past that I shall be royally peeved.

ETA one wonders how much use the army will be in the circumstances give that there's only about 80,000 of them in total, who are certainly not all trained to drive articulated lorries, and we are down 100,000 lorry drivers...

13. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Rant mode:
    The Tories incompetence and utter disregard of the UK's situation post-Brexit.

One would have thought statisticians employed by the government had pointed out ages ago that UK people would have to take on the jobs that EU migrants in the transport and farming industry were doing? It looks like those warnings were ignored or swept under the carpet.

In both these sectors, low pay, lousy hours plus the loss of seasonal workers* should have been issues that needed to be addressed asap after the Brexit vote and the subsequent negotiations? Ways of addressing these issues should have already been going on well before Covid-19 reared its ugly head, so that can't be blamed.

So did the Tories, or any of our other political parties consider proposing cross-party talks to address these upcoming issues? It definitely looks like this particular hot potato was ignored by all concerned.

*Regarding the employment of Seasonal workers, what types of jobs will UK workers do when not employed there, and furthermore, these employers are definitely not going to be happy about losing their staff at certain times of the year instead!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  14. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Hey! I live in Milton Keynes.. and it's OK...
    0336s Grafton Park Dovecote - close to MK WCML station.jpg

Dovecote in Grafton Park, a few hundred yards from the MK WCML station

15. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I too have wondered if the Civil Service has been on extended leave for the last few years, or whether our tendency to select politicians who have only done PPE means that's there no-one in Government who can understand anything longer than a three word answer?

16. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

You'll know where we will be (petrol allowing...), then, if I say that we will be camping at the home of the Concrete Cows.

17. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The usual licence needed to drive a heavy articulated lorry is not sufficient to drive a petrol tanker. A further ADR licence (class three for hazardous liquids) is also needed.

18. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Didn’t want to start a new Thread so I’ll put this here. More of a sad post than a gear grind.

Last Saturday in the pub we got talking football. The conversation got to players of old. I mentioned Jimmy Greaves. I asked if he was still alive. We Googled it. He was. On the news next morning they announced he’d died overnight.

This morning I was thinking back to my work days at the power station. One particular job came to mind which I did with another work mate. Probably over 30 years ago.

My wife has been to tell me that his wife has just posted on Facebook his passing away yesterday.

I don’t know if it’s all pure coincidence or premonition or I’m just jinxed.

19. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Don't ever ask anyone about my well-being! :D

20. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I'm quite well at the moment, thanks for not asking;):p:D