1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

A harsh summary, but absolutely spot on.

2. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

They were doing a bloody good job of it when I went to the local supermarket. Tesco filling station was backed up round the roundabout. All because some silly toss-rag had to say 'don't panic buy':mad:

peterba likes this.
  3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I'm sure Boris will quote Fozzy Bear on that.

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Corporal Jones more like

peterba likes this.
  5. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Note to drivers queuing to get petrol from the Texaco opposite me
    I frankly couldn't give a damn that you're prepared to spend hours queuing to fill your cars up (the queue now extends as far as I can see down and up Bow Road in both directions with each side trying to sneak past the other- I expect there may be fisticuffs at some point)
    But will you all stop using your horns? It's not going to get you served any quicker and much more of the din and I will go out select a few of you and wrap you round your bloody steering wheel!

DaveS, Zou, John Farrell and 2 others like this.
  6. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Talking of Starmer, from the Beeb, a couple of days ago:

"Sir Keir Starmer has published an 11,500 word essay on what he stands for and how he wants to change the UK, ahead of his party's conference."

There is a old business mantra that says if you can't say what you want to get across to your audience in five minutes and a couple of pages of A4, then you probably don't know what you're talking about. Anyway, who's going to read it? - unless it becomes compulsory reading for the faithful, like 'Mein Kampf'.

peterba and Zou like this.
  7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Most people just downloaded it and ran a search for key words. Insomniacs might have tried reading it.

peterba likes this.
  8. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

So, to recap: we now have a choice of leaders...
    1. The one who lies whenever the truth might possibly be better.
    2. The one who came in like a lion in winter and subsided into a sloth in the summer.
    3. The one nobody knows.
    This bodes not well. :(

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

https://www.ref.org.uk/constraints/indexbymth.php
    The detailed numbers are behind a pay wall but these public figures show that nearly £2M were paid to wind farm operators not to supply power so far this month.
    There is a lack of line capacity from Scotland to Southern England.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...arly-2m-switch-customers-face-soaring-energy/
    You may be able to see this if you have not recently accessed the Telegraph's website.

10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Even with proportional voting Britain would never vote for a government as far left as Corbyn and the union bullies. The country is right of centre. Its true that Bojo and Co. are disliked, but the far left are generally disliked even more. If Scotland leaves UK then UK becomes even more right of centre.

11. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

No, the SE is right of centre.

Zou and steveandthedogs like this.
  12. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Any info on how much goes to the nuclear industry?

S

13. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

There's a lack of line capacity from Scotland to Scotland too...

http://www.scottishenergynews.com/r...ears-over-lack-of-uk-interconnector-capacity/

Catriona likes this.
  14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The population is concentrated in the South East with the North East extremity almost empty by comparison. The tendency is to pretend that population distribution is even and apply the majority view accordingly. The SE may be majorly right and applying that to the uniform distribution would suggest that much of the rest of the country is close to the centre, which is probably equally inaccurate. I suspect the truth is that the population is somewhat polarised with an overall majority to the right meaning some areas will be some way to the left.

15. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

If there were it would be misleading I bet because no allowance would be made for the future cost of decommissioning/decontamination.

Zou and steveandthedogs like this.
  16. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I had to go and get fuel today for the McLaren, prior to a member drive on Monday (rather than risking queuing for fuel on the day). There were queues at the nearest fuel station to where it is kept. I joined the queue only to find that the only fuel available in that Shell garage was normal unleaded. No super or in fact diesel. The next garage also had no super fuel. I had to drive to a third station that only had a slight queue but at least it had V-Max. At 1.55 a litre, I am so glad I'm not paying for it!

My own car is on a 1/4 tank but I really couldn't be arsed to join a massive queue at Tesco. I don't drive that far so it'll have to wait.

TBH, I can think of worse ways to spend some time on a Saturday morning, taking the car out for a spin.

Catriona likes this.
  17. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

We are still on our own mini oil powered battersea power station. The cable to the mainland broke after a relatively few years. Instead of upping the capacity, a new same capacity cable has been laid. Not sure when we'll be back on it. Shame really since being self-contained power-wise is less problematic for us. When the cable supply gets interrupted, thankfully we power up our own supply. Long may that last!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    daft_biker likes this.
  18. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Looks like rationing due to ethnic cleansing is making a wee comeback :(. Still queues at the local petrol station with folk lining up to make the situation worse.

Perhaps there should be an injuction on news reporting of shortages to prevent worse shortages?

steveandthedogs and spinno like this.
  19. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Filled up yesterday and diesel here is 1.19€ a litre.

20. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Normally people from Caldey Island moan about how expensive things are...:rolleyes: