1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

:)

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

The assumption, by the Co-op staff, that anyone older than 50 won't mind being told to use check out number six (the dozo one).
    When the wider than tall 'director' told me number six - I indicated that number two was much preferred! She huffed and puffed and turned her back to speak to the person she had been chatting to whilst I waited.
    Mmmmmmm grrrr.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Mind you, Anglo French relations have always been a family affair and you know just how fractious families can be (don't forget 1815 when we had a little Germanic help) and 1940 (when we did the Germans' work for them). ;)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Holding zone for immigrants, or discount booze purchases?

5. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I think I know what you mean, but please explain.

Catriona likes this.
  6. Catriona

They put the less than efficient check out women on that check out counter. I have noticed just how many times I've been directed there almost without them checking other ones first. Invariably it means I end up at a counter where a ditherer and endlessly chatty employee totally ignore the fact I am waiting. It irks me since I am an efficient shopper - and if I have too much in my trolley, I just bung it back in, trot off to a quiet spot and pack.

We have this system where we queue up at the furthest edge of the check out tills until called by a supervisor and directed to a till. Funnily enough the youngsters, when they do the directing, just direct me to the next available one. It's the grumpy Mick McManus look-alike who does the dirty on me. Today I expressed my disdain and went to the nearest one - and through double-quick. The 'director' just huffed, turned her back and carried on talking (as she had been doing beforehand). B*tch!

Bazarchie likes this.
  7. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I went to Lidl on Sunday. I put my purchases on the conveyer belt and the till operator asked me to put the till closed sign at the end. I was amazed that someone than said he refused to use the self serve tills so she would have the stay open. I sympathised with her but she said she was not allowed to do anything. Following that a couple moved the closed sign and filled up the belt. Perhaps I am just too polite but I would never do that.

8. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Does not really grind my gears but - hardly seems worth it.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-58655298
    OK £280K is a lot but.
    a) They seem to have lost third of it so we are at £186.66
    b) traditionally sale value of stolen goods is 1/3 of retail - so £62.22, BUT
    c) you cannot just sell that much booze to punters directly so there would need to be at least 3 layers. Original thiefs, first layer of distributors and the (given the amounts) a second layer - just like flogging illicit drugs. Each layer is dealing with hot gear so would expect to make 100% mark up on what the pay so the original thieves get £15.5K - between them.
    d) as they had to load the stuff they could not just comprise the three drivers so lets say 9 guys who have to steal three trucks drive them to a warehouse, break in load £280K worth of booze into trucks. Get away. Have a secure place where they can store till they can get rid of it. Get rid of it. Not get caught. All for less than £2K each.
    Personally I would rather work for a living.

9. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

If you are then so am I!

10. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Never mind that, if one is going to pinch some alcohol in Scotland, one should at least have the decency to select a fine single malt. I mean, what is the world coming to?:p

On second thoughts, leave the decent malt and let the half-wits have the blue vodka. Maybe it will mix well with the special brew:confused:

11. WillieJ

Red bull seems to be the mixer of choice. Given the general area the stuff seems to be made in I wonder if its just a rebranded Babycham rebooted for Generation whatever - Babycham is (was) made a bit north of Cumnock from Rhubarb. Seems like a terrible waste of Rhubarb to me.
    I have to agreee. If I was going to risk my liberty it would have to be at least a 15 year old Malt.

AndyTake2 likes this.
  12. Catriona

Fifty minutes on the phone, four different people, same info given - all to tell them to reinvest my cash isa. The phone bill will be more than the interest!

13. WillieJ

Got a letter from my Dental Practice - private only from now on for the over 25s. It appears they are also moving some services to hyginists only. There are still some practices in Edinburgh accepting NHS patients but non convenient for walking or parking - and I really want to be using buses given my age plus Covid. I also suspect practices still taking universal NHS patients are just waiting till they reach critical mass. At least we can afford it but as a firm believer in a free at point of delivery NHS I would rather pay the same amount in additional taxes and carry on as before.
    EDIT - I have now looked in detail at the website of one of the practices which advertises that it takes new NHS patients. When you click on the NHS patients button it tells you thet it is still taking NHS patients of all ages and lits the services which it provides. It then states that due to the pandemic this service is suspended till 202. This is not a typo it does say "till 202" i.e indefinitely.
    EDIT 2 - having read the whole letter there is a final option to remain NHS but transfer to another dentist wihin the practice. Now let me see...
    I am sure this will only be putting off the evil day.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If you risk your liberty, and get caught, it will be 15 years old by the time you get out. Best make sure it is a decent Malt in the first place.

15. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Ah! Probation

16. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Spiders - the ones that have spun their webs to and from my anemometer.
    Totally invisible from the house, but there was a slight breeze this morning, and no motion at all from the anemometer. Once I was in the garden and close enough, I could see many spiders' webs restraining the anemometer bulbs from rotating - I think a spider has taken refuge in one of the bulbs.

How do meteorologist professionals keep spiders away from their much more remote anemometers? (The answer is not a Stevenson screen.)

17. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Citrus spray?

18. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

As my energy provider says that my electricity is provided by 100% Renewables, does that mean that high gas prices won’t have any effect on my electricity bill..??

Some chance of that…..

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Indeed. They'll cite low renewable production therefore increased demand therefore increased costs.

On a side note, anyone else see the gas price chart which showed gas prices halved last year and wondered why this wasn't reflected in their bills? (Obviously the last bit is sarcasm)

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  20. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

It doesn't need to be. In my opinion it's a totally relevant question.