1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Surprisingly not. As far as I remember, eggs, milk, bread, loo rolls, Domestos Powerfresh and tonic water.
    Not bad eh?

spinno likes this.
  2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

No it's a shortage of gas...mainly hot air...

Learning and Catriona like this.
  3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Will we see the results of this in "What did you have for Dinner"...

Catriona likes this.
  4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

My daughter moved from her house in West Bridgford to a flat in Lenton, Nottingham. She was happy that her nearest supermarket was no longer going to be a Co-op or M&S and now has Asian and Middle Eastern shops on her doorstep. She can now afford to eat again.

5. Catriona

I doubt it! I saw nothing there to whet my abysmal appetite. Probably be a sandwich and soup.

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Assume "most of that" was £££ not items?

Catriona likes this.
  7. Catriona

Yes, always the most expensive stuff (apart from wine!).

8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

0_I140728_132919_28522oTextTRMRMMGLPICT000000690008o.jpg

beatnik69 and Zou like this.
  9. Catriona

10. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Micro$oft :mad:

Let's do an update.

Let's stop any peripherals from working - what shall we pick on today?
    Ah, the network printer and scanner, that's always good for a laugh.

Make 'em uninstall the printer, reinstall it but not give any options for for drivers.
    When the daft buggers go and get the drivers from the manufacturers and install them, let's make sure they only work in administrator accounts.
    Let em figure out that each account needs to be elevated to administrator to work, and then they can set 'em back to standard user. That will keep their blood boiling for a couple of hours.
    :mad::mad::mad::mad:

WTF is a Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) for?
    I know I haven't been in IT for over a decade now, but have things really changed so much that the OS has stopped talking to a HAL, and then the HAL talks to the device??
    Wasn't that the whole idea of a HAL? FFS, Microsoft really need a slap round the face with a smelly fish!

peterba and daft_biker like this.
  11. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

In the current crisis it may also help if you have not been buying the cheapest electricity on the shelf either.

Mark101 and peterba like this.
  12. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I was with you, all the way up to the first mention of HAL, Andy....... at which point, I thought we must have gone off into a certain sci-fi movie. :confused:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    AndyTake2 and WillieJ like this.
  13. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Mayy as well be some crazy space computer:confused:

HAL makes the whole computer thing a bit Zen:cool:
    That printer isn't a printer, a camera isn't a camera... They are just ideas of printers and cameras:) Abstractions, smoke and mirrors which only exist in the mind of HAL, and the Operating System is unaware of it:eek:

14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Hmmm, got the thieving British Gas taking over my supply. So that means we will be switching at earliest opportunity even if they are cheapest. o_O

peterba likes this.
  15. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

When my company went bust 2 years ago, we were put onto BG. They rang me and offered me all sorts of deals to stay with them telling me that it was the cheapest deal they could give me. It was a lot more than the company I moved to. It took quite a while to get the money that I was in credit to reimbursed. TBF though, I don't think that was the fault of BG, just sorting out the finances of a collapsed company must be time consuming.

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

My previous experience was of them taking money out of my account after the account was closed and then not giving it back, literally theft. Only returned it many months later when we went to the ombudsman having exhausted the BG complaints procedure.

17. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I don't blame you. We got involved in a time-consuming mix-up with them, when we moved house, once. We really went through the grinder for a couple of weeks, until eventually I got put through to someone in the company who was truly sensible (quite possibly the only one :eek:). In fairness, she really was supremely helpful, and the whole matter was cleared up in a few moments - although I never found out why several other people to whom I had spoken, were unable to do the same. :confused:

18. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Long, long ago and in a galaxy which I hope is now far, far away, I worked on an industrial job.

Our manager had read an article on abstraction layers and declared that everything had to be done that way. Our team leader was a practical sort of cove, realised that this would double the work to no practical advantage and came up with a simple solution. Every call to the hardware (and that was virtually all our code did) would take the form...
    All "HALwhatever" did was pass the parameters to the device and reflect back the result value(s).

Result? The code worked reliably, we hit the target date and the manager went around bragging about how he'd implemented abstract layering in the project. It seems that none of us had the heart to tell him that's how Unix works anyway...

John Farrell and AndyTake2 like this.
  19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

When we moved in here BG was the existing supplier so I called and told them I wasn't going to continue with them. They wanted to set up a DD anyway but I refused and explained why I didn't trust them with my bank details. The lady I spoke to was an absolute credit to them who was understanding and offered to instead invoice the amount due between moving in and switching, which we agreed. Easy, polite, professional, and competent. Sadly seems - as you suggest - to be an exception.

20. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Currently with SSE for my lekky, and whoever Boiler Juice sends round for my oil
    Was going to switch to Octopus for my lekky, not sure now.