1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

She is, unfortunately, far from alone in that belief

2. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

It's a Westinghouse brand stove - the company is owned by Electrolux. In spite of any aesthetic considerations, there is no sign of any of the wiring being affected by heat, so the routing of the wires must be ok...

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I thought much the same but doing the job “properly” would use more cable and increase costs.

4. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I did expect it.
    I think the shelters have been getting ready for it.

As for puppy farmers, My Mrs T has proposal involving a nail-gun, a fence and their eyeballs:cool:

Bazarchie likes this.
  5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The design allows easy tracing of cables and use of push on connectors makes the whole thing easily repairable. Sure it looks a mess. I wouldn't want to see the inside of one of our machine cabinets looking like that but it does look safe and functional.

6. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

My thoughts are that if a manufacturer doesn't particularly care in what its products look like, do they really care in how they perform?
    Or is it simply out of site out of mind...?

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Somewhat Freudian there, I think you meant "out of sight out of mind" but what you actually said is equally accurate.

8. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I believe things out of sight are often considered B class surfaces when being designed and manufactured.

That's not good enough for everyone though....apparently there are no b surfaces on a Koenigsegg....but you'll need really deep pockets.

9. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Who sees what they look like? Only those who remove the cover. There is no problem with the working of the stove - apart from the simmerstat. We bought it 6 years ago.

I know what "proper" wiring looks like - many decades ago, forming and lacing cables was one of the first things I learned as a Post Office technician.

10. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Whoops.... really didn't mean that. I'm not that clever..... :)

11. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

A designer knows when he/she has got the product right, not when there's nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to take away.

12. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Before I go into my GP for a wound dressing twice a week, I am doing a Covid-19 Antigen test at home, which I then show the staff as I enter the surgery. However, whilst our expertise in the fields of BioTech, scientific and engineering R&D departments are presumably up there with the best when it comes to producing and manufacturing the said fruits of this work, the UK is either absolutely lousy at this, or prefers to let other countries do this and then ship this stuff into the UK.

Z51M2420.JPG

As a prime example of this, I'd cite the aforementioned test kits which are manufactured in China! None of the items would be difficult to produce here, there is also the carbon footprint of the shipping, and one way or another, this Chinese company has managed to get its products certified before a UK manufacturer could do the same thing, probably because of the labyrinthine officialdom which British manufacturers have to endure?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  13. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I doubt it.

Rather it's because people with money don't want to risk losing it, so investment isn't available for new small companies to start up and do these things.

Asian countries are still at the stage where doing new (and often financially dangerous) things is seen as good.

Learning likes this.
  14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Both wrong, buying from China is cheaper

Zou likes this.
  15. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Life is cheap.

16. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

steveandthedogs likes this.
  17. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Facile answers seldom reveal the truth...

18. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I remember the twin towers coming down. I remember the horror of all those people trapped. I remember what it was like to climb down 9 floors (18 flights of concrete steps).
    What struck me at the time was someone saying how the central lift shafts were the nightmare scenario for fire and all of it out of use.
    I've heard nothing since then about the design of the building making it a death trap if one floor was disabled. Does anyone else remember this being said?

19. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

TBC? I remember walking back up them to the tenth floor after a fire alarm was over! All of the TBC lifts were out of use during fire alarms. Except one, the one in the centre of the car park exit spiral. And only disabled people were allowed to use it on those occasions.
    Usually, in buildings of that height, lifts don't serve all floors, but pairs serve a selection. So theoretically it should be possible to use a different lift if one goes US. I think.

20. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Catriona likes this.