1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

The emollient cream is just a carrier for the oils really. The oils I mentioned have anti-inflammatory properties as well as being good at lowering BP!
    Inhaling is an expensive way to do things! Jasmine and rose are both fugitive (i.e. they evaporate quickly) and it's best to put them on the skin in some form. :)

Catriona likes this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I know you will be careful but I found, when I eventually looked, that the emollient I had been advised to use had Polysorbate 80 in it. I stopped and my rash cleared up.
    I'm not sure how to use the oil. I'll have to have a think about it and find a cream that is preservative-free.

3. AndyTake2

Any cream that can be absorbed into the skin is fine. Perhaps look for a cream recommended by friends of the earth or someone similar. Ask the pharmacist if unsure.

Catriona likes this.
  4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I'm not cutting my hedge until there's a good breeze! I'd get eaten alive and bathed in sweat if I tried now. :(

5. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I know how you feel - I haven't done a damn thing in the garden except monitor the automatic watering system for two months now. A flamethrower would be more use to me now than a hedge trimmer.

Mark101, Zou and Catriona like this.
  6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

A flame thrower isn't very green but I know what you mean. I have done more gardening in the local country park than my own garden recently. Today was hay raking. I only went along to get pictures, but ended doing around three hours work. If you want to see the pictures then remind me after the first couple of weeks next month and I will post a link to our next newsletter. Editing a newsletter is not like editing a commercial magazines. The editor does everything; their are no minions, but I do have a couple of good proof readers.
    I am looking forward to hedge laying that starts next month. Once you get the knack of using a billhook, and the knowledge of how the laid hedge is likely to regrow then hedge laying with traditional hand tools has to be one of the best physical jobs that any retired technologist or commercial former slave could take up.
    It was hot today.

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Neither is his garden, I'm guessing... ;)

peterba likes this.
  8. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Could I be comatose until Sunday?
    Monday-more bullying at work and chipped a tooth that then stabbed my tongue
    Tuesday-Dentist solved hole in tooth by making a hole in my bank balance went for a meal and a drink but had to cut it short because I was starting a migraine
    Wednesday- Migraine from Hell. Texted my boss to let her know I wasn't going to be in. Snotty reply that it was reported I was drinking late (I left the pub at 9.30 and was in bed before 11) so she says it's a hangover (No I was drinking when it started so that is not a hangover!). Spent most of day asleep woken up to find I am feverish, have a sore throat and food is tasteless but I dare not call in sick tomorrow because of the bullying- it has now reached the point where my top 5 bravest things I've done includes going into work more than once
    Got a gas safety check on Saturday and a very good friend staying over Sunday but the guy who is driving him around he has also asked if he can stay and I can hardly say no. The flat needs some work done and I will have two days to do it

9. LesleySM

And now I have had to go for a Covid-19 test, the way my luck is going this week it will be positive

10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Apart from lawn, my garden is a bit too green. Who else on here hosts a grass snake in their garden?
    Well a +ve result would prevent any accusations of fabrefacta plumbum;). Since you are already double jabbed you should be OK and even improve your defences against the current strain.
    I hope all is well.

11. AndyTake2

Thoughtless Barstewards who treat pets as disposable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58518892

Pandemic eases off, let's just get rid of the dog. Toss-rags should have thought about things before getting an animal:mad::mad::mad:

daft_biker, MJB and steveandthedogs like this.
  12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Waited in all day for a bulk bag of gravel which didn't come. Called the company to find offices already shut for the weekend...

13. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

An answer to a question on tonight's "House of Games". All the answers featured a number which then had to be multiplied by 10. The answer that bugs me was "Henry the 8th",to which their answer was Henry the 80th.To my mind the answer should have been Henry the one and a quarter.

14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Took me a moment to get that one

15. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

What did you expect! Hopefully it will stop people cashing in and driving the prices up. Also puppy farms and importing rescue dogs.

Learning likes this.
  16. LesleySM

Apparently the same situation is happening with cats, people getting a cute kitten to see them through lockdown and now abandoning them. What puzzled me was I read the lockdown had raised the price of pedigree kittens (What the Hell is wrong with shelter kittens or for that matter "free to good home" moggies?) and the most popular breed is....
    The Munchkin...
    Nothing against individual Munchkin's I'm sure they're very nice individuals but they're the same as Dachshunds abnormally short legs and as they are a fairly new breed I strongly expect they'll develop back problems at a fairly early age

17. LesleySM

I am quite proud of the number of people I have put off getting a kitten for that very reason

AndyTake2 likes this.
  18. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

In the end, I only replaced the failed simmerstat in the stove - it was the leftmost of the blue blocks seen here.

IMG_5109.JPG

19. LesleySM

Did occur to me that a +ve would shut the manager up but it was -ve. She seems convinced it is not possible to get any bug other than covid-19

20. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Looking at the design & workmanship, I’d have serious reservations using an appliance which looked like that. Looks like a diy shed job.

Note: If it was a diy shed job, many apologies, I’m sure it’s perfectly safe :)