1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

But it is excellent for cleaning metal parts prior to applying the appropriate lubricant.

AndyTake2, WillieJ, Zou and 2 others like this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I can't even get the right drug make any more. Phoned the pharmacist at the surgery and got the reason is economic. Company doesn't bother making it now their license has run out and generics have taken up the slack. I don't know what sh&t they use as a buffer or coating but it doesn't work for me. Have had a day of sore throat, burning and sore.
    Now I'e got to go to the surgery for a BP check and blood test before they will give me another brand/type. Hateful thought. Last time was 2018 and let's say it was not a successful visit! Instant BP rise for me having to attend.

So if anyone has any sensible thoughts on instant BP reduction (apart from me taking diclofenac!! Ha!) I'm open to suggestions. Other than that, I'll have to be p*ssed!

3. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Meditation lowers BP

Catriona likes this.
  4. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

We've had a series of appliance failures - first was the clothes dryer, and I've just replaced the cordless phone, and then last night one of the simmerstats in the stove failed. I've ordered 4 new simmerstats - I'll replace the lot, while I have the back of the stove open.

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Don't mind him, he's been indoctrinated by advertising. :rolleyes:;)

6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Facebook's algorithm sense of humour.

Screenshot_20210907-212936.jpg

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

You should see the amount of Rangers shite YouTube tries to push on me. "You watch Scottish football, so let's just assume you're a rabid anti-Catholic who loves the queen and hates Palestinians and the Japanese." o_O

John Farrell likes this.
  8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Neither post is intelligible as far as I am concerned. Might WD40 help?

Catriona and peterba like this.
  9. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

If it won’t move but it’s supposed to……. WD40
    If it moves but it’s not supposed to……. Duct Tape

RovingMike and Zou like this.
  10. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Buy a home BP monitor, take several readings am and pm and submit the average readings. You will probably be more relaxed at home. If you do go to the surgery they will probably take a few readings to let it settle down.

Take it easy.

Catriona and Zou like this.
  11. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Not as much as stopping watching footie - long term.

peterba likes this.
  12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I don’t watch football, I don’t listen to it or read about it or in any other way interact with it.

I don’t use WD40 either.

Mark101 likes this.
  13. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Plus Gas Formula A is a better penetrating oil anyway.

14. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

You could try aromatherapy oils - the real things are obviously based on plants, so are more closely related to herbal medicine than anything else.
    You will obviously need to make sure you have no conditions which contra-indicate the specific oils, but lavender, ylang-ylang, bergamot are a good place to start.
    Rose, Jasmine and Sandalwood are the top of the tree, but also the price list. I bought some rose absolute (the cheaper form of rose) for around £25 a few months back - that was for 2ml.

The 'aroma' part of it can help as well - find something that reminds you of better times, perhaps a grandparent/parent/spouse who used to grow roses etc and add that oil to the mix. Just make sure you stick to the basic few, as some of the smells you find attractive may not be the best for your particular health issues.
    If you are feeling low, avoid the sandalwood - it is a great mood stabiliser, but can stabilise low as well as high.

I got some emollient cream from the chemist and mixed mine into that - I can't use anti-inflammatories, so the mix I used was Rose, Jasmine, Bergamot - 5 drops of each into 25ml of cream (I just used one of those tiny jam pots that one gets at a cafe)

I doubt you will find anything other than lavender, bergamot and tea-tree in any local chemist, but they are available online.
    DO NOT buy cheap stuff - it is not going to be the real deal. I have purchased some int he past, and immediately knew they were not real (I did qualify as an aromatherapist, so I have an advantage) and think they are likely a bit of the real oil (or chemical equivalent) mixed with isopropyl alcohol or something similar.

Tisserand are a good place to start - they have been around for a long time.
    Ask your pharmacist if you are unsure (not sure a doctor would know, but the chemist is more likely to)

edit...jasmine is one of the greats for hypertension, but as expensive as rose. A cheaper alternative is ylang-ylang.
    ...Rose Otto is the purest form of rose, as it is steam-distilled. The absolute is extracted by alcohol, but is still excellent, but contains a trace of colour.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    Catriona likes this.
  15. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I like GT85. It smells nice :)

16. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Used some graphite a few days ago - didn't use powder though, I bought some graphite sticks from hobbycraft and just used that.
    Not as convenient obviously, but quite good enough for what I needed.
    Bought a second-hand car roofbox and bars. Bar feet were corroded, so stripped them down and put them in vinegar in an ultrasound cleaner, which brought them up a treat. Greased some parts up with silicone grease, but where they could be touched I used the graphite.
    Same with the roofbox. As it had been stored for a long time, it had been scraped about and a needed a bit of a sand to reduce some bits, grease on others, and graphite to smooth the opening (and lubricate the locking bar)

...Then we found out yesterday that the holiday was cancelled:eek:

17. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yes I realised just after I put it back together. No doubt it will jam again, but I now know how to fix it!

18. RovingMike

Yes I will be getting something in. 3in oil is all I have. But only access point on a garage door is the keyhole and that doesn't go right through, so not sure much dust can get in.

19. RovingMike

Haven't we all? I was well into reading up the merits of a genuine Cardale replacement lock vs one that looks the same, when I decided oh to hell with it, I'll just pull it all apart and find out what's wrong first.

20. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I love jasmine and used to have a huge sprawling bush of it at my back door in London. I will get some!
    Interesting you can't use anti-inflammatories either!
    Rose water in Turkish delight would be a treat. ;) Perhaps I'll inhale that instead. Never been keen on bergamot or tea-tree. Perceive them instantly (a bit like coriander's instant shudder for me). I used an emollient cream for quite some time after it was recommended by a dermatologist. Didn't do it for me. I do like Weleda skin food at the moment - and strangely enough, a vaseline/aloe vera lip salve is proving good on my (still) damaged elbow from the bursitis a few years ago.
    Thank you for your help.