1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

That's a new one on me, Dave. What (in layman's terms) does being a "synthetic organic chemist" involve? Oddly - although I know the meanings of the individual words - collectively, they mean very little to me. :confused: :D

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Can I guess before Dave answers.
    Making and investigating the carbon based chemicals that do not exist in nature.

peterba likes this.
  3. peterba

Yes, it should be "than I" since the meaning is "than I do". It's just that the word "do" is left out, as it is entendu ("understood", in case you're not into French :)).

Saying "You know more about it than me" is actually saying that he knows more about it (the chemistry) than he knows about you. Of course, that is almost certainly true, too - but it isn't what you meant! :D

Learning likes this.
  4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Depending on how it is punctuated Dave could be synthetic and work as an organic chemist.

EightBitTony, peterba and Zou like this.
  5. peterba

That sounds plausible. I managed (just) to scrape a pass in Chemistry at 'O' level, so my knowledge on the subject is nothing to write home about. :D

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
  6. peterba

That thought had occurred to me too, Geoff, but I decided not to add to my collection of posts containing the prefix /pendantry alert/ .......! ;) :D

7. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Yes, sorry. I was working in the field of organic synthesis, ie carbon chemistry.

8. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Just like Victor Frankenstein, then, with all that organic synthesis stuff. :eek::D

9. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

No Internet since sparrow-fart on Sunday. Early Sunday morning workmen in the village managed to rip up the telephone cable for most of the village with a mechanical digger. Yesterday Cyta, the local telephone company, came to fix it, but seem to have done a piss-poor job, as initially my DSL carrier light would just flash and then fail. This morning Cyta looked at my connection and managed to get it working, but only at just under 4 Mbps, a fraction of what I am paying for. With an upload speed of 0.31Mbps, I am making enquiries of the local pigeon loft as a faster method of communication. :mad:

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Good to hear that you aren’t synthetic Dave

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  11. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

A nasty thing to do, whether one likes cats or not.
    It makes cats and dogs have seizures before dying in a lot of pain.

Only yesterday I was topping up the washer bottle of the car, and the mix obviously contained glycol. Some of it spilled, so although I went and got a brush and a couple of watering cans full of water and made sure I got rid of it. This is in a communal parking area, and very popular with cats.

On the other hand, some cats seem suicidal. I have had a neighbour's cat try to come in the flat a couple of times in the last few weeks, as well as the slightly less suicidal tendancy to climb on the back fence, presumably to get to the bird feeder.
    Our dog was not brought up with cats. He has a high prey instinct, and it was very lucky for the cat that he was out for a walk when it turned up!

12. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

No-one can convince me that generic drugs are just like their branded counterpart.
    Even the branded one depends on where it is produced adn who manufactures it.
    I am now in the position of having to choose to either give up the drug or suffer lasting consequences to my throat.
    Difficult choice.

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Does screen wash contain glycol?

14. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

err..no, that's what happens when I post in the morning!
    It's methanol. Which is just as nasty.
    I will try to remember to engage brain (i.e. not post before 11 am) before posting anything like that in future:p

15. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Is just me in believing nearly all young kids are now feral ? I see it in five year olds right up into teens and it is scary that Parents have little, or indeed appear to want little control on the behaviour of their kids. I see it all the time, but perhaps I'm just getting old.

The latest example was when our neighbours visited our back garden with their two kids. Firstly, it was obvious they had little inclination to stop the kids getting up to real mischief, like pulling things out of our shed until we said something, but then it went from bad to worse. My Wife went into the kitchen to get something and was quickly followed by the kids. Before she knew it they were in the living room swinging about on our Stressless recliners to the point they could have been damaged, on being asked to stop, they then proceeded in an attempt to remove the little swivel table off one. On being told to stop they rushed up stairs and one was in a spare room going through the draws, while the other took my Wife's ukulele out of its case and was banigng away on it. In the meantime the other child rushed into the ensuite and was slamming the shower doors open and closed. This all happened in less than two minutes and my Wife told them to go downstairs, and they refused. So she really had to tell them in no uncertain terms, stop it and go downstairs NOW!

These two kids are actually the offspring of two Teachers, middle class and obviously well educated, but they have a very softly, softly approach to kids - ' No please don't do that', 'Oh that's not very nice', please, please don't do that, I keep asking you not to ....... ' , are the softly spoken words heard over the garden fence. The older of the kids is really nasty to the Brother, and which endlessly culminates in screams and things being thrown about. The answer, according to the Parents is making them see the benefits of playing nicely together. But from what I hear this isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Last year I was standing by a river with plenty of Ducks and their young Ducklings when a kid of around eight, standing by his Mother, picked up a massive bolder which was so big he could hardly lift it, and threw it into the river just missing the birds. The Mother not only said nothing but looked totally disinterested. I shouted out to this rather well dressed Woman, "Well that wasn't very nice was it, trying to kill Ducklings" She totally ignored me and walked off, leaving her kid kicking the river bank.

Now, I was brought up in a loving household, I was only slapped on the legs twice from memory, but my Parents stood for no nonsense or misbehaving from me or my Sister and they were firm but kind. So, is it just me or have some modern parents totally lost the plot and are raising feral kids in the misguided belief that kindness and subjugation will win over?

16. Catriona

I can always spot strangers (to our Island) kids. Especially in the supermarket. They are the ones out of control, always.
    Sorry - but it's true.

WillieJ likes this.
  17. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Bad customer service winds me up. Had a new up-over garage door fitted 6/7 years ago. Not a cheap one. Called the local company to say the lock had jammed and could they fix. She said they'd call me back, but didn't. Called again and guy said sounds like you need a new lock, we'll get one in and there'll be a callout charge (all-up about £120). He did nothing.

So I went out this morning, disconnected the wires that pull the side bars, took out the two big screws and removed the whole works. Found that a slider that WD40 couldn't reach was totally jammed, so gave it a liberal spray and worked it back and forth. Put it all back and it works fine.

18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Now go out and repeat the performance but instead ow WD40 use the appropriate grease.

Then write out 100 lines
    WD40 is not a substitute for the proper lubricant!

AndyTake2, WillieJ, Zou and 1 other person like this.
  19. Catriona

My go-to is fine graphite powder.

AndyTake2 and Learning like this.
  20. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Lets compromise and suggest a general purpose water resistant grease that incorporates graphite or silicon. That's what should have been used in the first place. Also I would suggest a dust shield if that is possible.