1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Modern hot water bottles. Absolute throwaway rubbish. Bring back the old bed warming pan - or stone bottle! Argh!

2. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Or a piglet. Added advantage the bedbugs feed off the piglet and do not bother the later human occupant. I understand the nabberry used to take a piglet with them for this dual purpose when they were going to be staying in Inns.

Catriona likes this.
  3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Were the piglets fitted with nappies?

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Having stuck my neck out and persuaded herself to come back to PC from Mac and more than that, sold her on an HP with AMD processor, which she was wary of, she's suffered a couple of weeks of Zoom (which she has to use for patient therapy) picture freezing, causing chaos.

After managing to persuade her it was nothing whatever to do with the PC, I now discover the latest Zoom update 5.7.6 is a lemon and freezes AMD machines. Now installed the hastily created 5.7.7 which is supposed to fix that. Thanks to Zoom for making a mug of me. :mad:

AndyTake2 likes this.
  5. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Bus ride home tonight- a near fight broke out in the back seats because some guy objected to someone else taking photos and I was stuck for 30 minutes next to a baby who kept kicking me whilst screaming incessantly at that pitch that goes in one of my ears and out the other leaving a tunnel in my grey matter. I was close to informing the mother if she didn't shut it up I would!

6. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Started watching the new series of Question of Sport.
    Thoughts after 15 minutes is crap.
    If it ain’t broke…. don’t fix it…

7. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Update:
    Now 20 minutes and have switched it off.

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

You've rather spoiled the what happened next round.

dangie likes this.
  9. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Thanks for heads-up, yet more dumbing down. Pity really, one of the few such programs I have enjoyed over several years. Must be getting old.

10. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Other than a change of personnel I couldn't see much difference. Glad to see the back of Tufnell TBH.

11. LesleySM

DPD- I ordered a PC it said free delivery and due to arrive tomorrow, which is fine as I can be in. Turned out they don't do Saturdays unless I part with an extra fiver. Just got a text confirming they will deliver tomorrow between 8-17.00 hours! This means having to get up early on a Saturday and probably waiting around all day when I have other things to do

12. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

They should give you an hours time slot on the day of delivery.

13. LesleySM

They did- 20 minutes after the guy showed up and very kindly carried it upstairs for me!

Derek W and John Farrell like this.
  14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

The way non-slip plastic cases go tacky after a while. I have two emergency LED torch/lamps which have done just that. It's yukky! I've thrown one away but kept the other one. Strangely, the one in the kitchen is OK.

15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Can you clean with alcohol (the non-drinking type)?

Catriona likes this.
  16. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I seem to remember reading that a paste of baking soda will sort out that problem, Kate. Might be worth a try, anyway.

Catriona likes this.
  17. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Yes, I think I've seen that (isopropyl alcohol) suggested, too. Don't know which of the two (see previous post) is better.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
  18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Isopropyl alcohol will remove the coating completely, not just the sticky surface. I don’t know of any way to restore the surface.

Zou and Catriona like this.
  19. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

There's a non-drinking type?

WillieJ, spinno and peterba like this.
  20. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

In theory, but not up here.

WillieJ likes this.