1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Thought it did. It was something I always obeyed when I was driving around, London included!

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Problem is that it's not law. Whereas the highway code has long given incorrect information about pedestrian crossings, and there IS a law to back that up.

Catriona likes this.
  3. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

'Strue.

4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Been to the recycling centre twice today and twice it was closed. Starting to have some sympathy for fly tippers:eek:.

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

No doubt that the operators will blame the pingdemic.

6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

The second time I never saw a truck in the yard emptying/replacing a skip so I was guessing tea break. Looks like I'm going to have to clear an hour out of a working day and be prepared for a half hour wait. 20 minutes isn't enough.

A customer I was at this evening is struggling to get glass recycled too. Hopefully a working bike will reduce consumption there though.

7. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Our local centres introduced a booking system for visits last year when the virus arrived. It's still in place at present with no sign of it being lifted. I wonder if this is the new way forward?

8. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I believe it was the same here - I've no idea whether it's still in place, but the road signs warning about queueing and delays remain. Meanwhile, SERCO who do the MK district wide collections are suffering from Covid related absences, and I'm not clear just how bad it's got.

9. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Same in Bedford. A bit of a faff, but not too bad.

10. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

I’ve only had to make the one trip since all this began and it was quite good with plenty of space to get around to the various skips and bins. When it was unregulated, it was like the M25 in rush hour if you picked a bad time to go.

11. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Ours was closed for ages as, iirc, someone crashed into the building before covid restrictions. Naturally this meant a complete redesign at great expense to the taxpayer. Meanwhile folk had nothing better to do than drive about half an hour away and queue for hours to dump stuff.

It was during the time folk were having to drive for miles to dump stuff the queen of selective facts took time out of a covid update, when she would have the most attention, to say she had reduced council co2 emissions across Scotland by 70%. Cutting services so someone else is accountable for it seems to be about the size of it.

12. Catriona

Tried to open an old external hard drive to search for a picture. No luck. PC doesn't let me have a look.

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I went to our recycling centre last week and it was deserted.

14. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Does the PC know the drive is there?

15. Catriona

Nope!
    It is the USB connection point I use to auto upload my images. Ages ago I lost the main auto upload menu (Win7) and survive on auto upload images with no menu option to open file. I was really frustrated when I lost the main menu with options, where I used to select either open or upload. Anyway, the drive seems OK, lights on etc, just my PC doesn't see it.

I might take the drive to my PC builder and ask him to transfer the data to a direct USB storage device. See if that works.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  16. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

When I have had that problem plugging it into and opening on another windows machine has tended to cure the problem with the original machine but hopefully someone will have a "proper" suggestion soon.

Catriona likes this.
  17. Catriona

I've had a dredged up thought. I have a feeling it used to be connected at the back of my PC (the USB connection). I'll try that when I'm up to crawling on the floor (and getting up again).

18. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

FB_IMG_1628095637681.jpg

John Farrell and Zou like this.
  19. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Same in West Berks, apparently there was a poll and people preferred the booking system rather than having the possibility waiting for ages.

20. Catriona

Not really a grind my gears, but so sad. My favourite cuddler (neighbour) just taken off to the hospice. So sad to see him go.