1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Back in 2012 after the Olympic Men's Cycling Roadrace, the BBC interviewer asked Mark Cavendish if the Tour de France had affected his performance.

Cavendish answered 'What sort of a stupid question is this.... do you know anything about cycling....'

For an interviewer, depending on the result, an interview with Cavendish is either heaven or hell. Either way, for viewers it's usually entertaining.

Learning, Zou and Catriona like this.
  2. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Nothing will ever top Gordon Strachan's pre and post-match press conferences. Hell for the interviewer, but a joy for the viewer.

Zou and dangie like this.
  3. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Absolutely. The difference between the cost to produce and the cost to buy should be seen as a massive opportunity to boost the economy, create jobs and for generating tax revenue.

Little nippy seems to be against it, just like Westminster. It is illegal due to prejudice.

FB_IMG_1626821800543.jpg

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  4. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

My problem with legalising 'recreation drugs' is that once users have got used to them, they move on to something stronger.... and stronger..... and stronger...
    I'd guess that most heroin users never started on heroin. They moved up.

Please note. These are only my thoughts. I've never used or taken drugs or substances. My ignorance on this matter is pretty high on the ignorance scale.

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Oh yes - and tax. Can't you hear the collective indrawn breath of the do-gooders? Not only letting people use the drugs of their choice but drawing money from it!
    So they'll kill themselves.

That's irrelevant for no other reason than they'll do so anyway. If you decriminalise, sell only through pharmacies and put a realistic tax on the stuff, you have far more chance of reducing direct deaths through consumption of the drugs, as well as indirect deaths through the vast amount of criminality currently associated with them.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  6. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

The people I've known who use cannabis have stayed on it and not gone on to anything stronger. Not a massive sample, but enough.

S

7. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I'm looking at drugs like I'm looking at those nutters who free climb high buildings.
    Start by climbing a step ladder then go higher & higher until you summit the Burj Khalifa.
    Then you fall off and die.....

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Has everyone forgotten that alcohol is both more addictive and more dangerous than weed yet it's viewed as socially awkward to *not* use it.

9. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

My wife’s cousin took cannabis in the 60’s, and then became a drain on NHS mental health services for over 50 years.

10. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

A few months ago I was fixing a bike in a garden and got asked if I liked crack and my response was something along the lines of "Nah mate, I just like weed.". That tip was easy to refuse.

If I want to get really wasted I get drunk....once one has a tolerance for weed it's a bit like drinking cups of tea and doesn't mean I like coffee or want an espresso.

11. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

You have not heard [herd?] of the mass tramplings on the sunny uplands since the beatified Boris led us to the promised Brexitland?

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Legalising, then taxing, recreational drugs looks like a good idea: users would buy the product anyway, it won’t be “cut” with dangerous additives, the price will fall because it won’t get discovered and confiscated along the way and, because it is legal and relatively cheap, people will be able to afford it without resorting to crime. However it seems to me that such a move would be capitalising on a user’s mystery (yes I know we do it with tobacco and alcohol).

Unfortunately legalisation would decimate the profits of the drug barons and put dealers out of work. They will soon find some other criminal enterprise with what to exploit their victims. Will the Afghan poppy farmers move to other crops if the price of raw opium falls (fewer lost shipments). Will the whole supply chain fold or just go “legal”.

I don’t think legalising drugs is the whole answer but I don’t have any others to o.

13. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

One of my professors at University (well it was a Polytechnic then) was Jock Young who theorised because cannabis was illegal it made users come into contact with those dealing in things stronger and if it were legalised it would break that link
    I have known many weed smokers (I'm not right now because I just realised I'm out of skins! Didn't really smoke it much since around 1991 oh the occasional toke when someone passed it to me at a party or a gig but nothing else until the first lockdown when it took the edge off and since things have reopened I am not bothered) and very few have gone onto heroin but the couple that did I think had other underlying problems and they've both since quit

14. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

o_O

15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Look at Portugal for a decriminalisation success story.

16. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Assuming you mean misery rather mystery the opposite is the case. Denying people effective medicine causes misery. Denying others a safer way to get wasted than alcohol creates misery.

Cannabis is a more effective antidepressant than anything a doctor could prescribe me about a dozen years ago. What the doctors can prescribe is also far more toxic and addictive creating life long addictions. Same with the sleeping pills. The situation does not appear to have changed any because of prejudice.

The drug barons will just need to get accountants. It is big pharma that stands to lose because they cannot control something as easy to grow as tomatoes or peppers. In the UK taxpayers are footing the bill.

Over the years I have encountered many people suffering from conditions that say Cannabis works better than anything the doctors can give them and improves their quality of life. I believe them over those that haven't got a clue.

17. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Norton Internet Security….. or in fairness it could be any of them.

I’ve used Norton for quite a few years on my Windows PC’s with no problem. Last year I bought an IMac so I cancelled the direct debit for Norton.

When I signed up for Norton my first year was £29.99 and £84.99 thereafter.

Now my renewal date is here. It has obviously flagged up at Norton that I’ve cancelled my subscription.

Low & behold I’m being swamped by emails offering me a renewal price of £29.99….
    I’ll save myself £29.99. I won’t bother taking up their offer.

18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I only ever buy a 1 year code. It says in T&Cs it will automatically renew but you can turn that off immediately. Usually £15-20 per year that way.

dangie likes this.
  19. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Similar to me with my old TomTom sat nav. This was before the free updates for life came in. The annual subscription was £39.99, but I used to wait a while and then they did an offer of £19.99. I got the updates at the cheaper rate for a number of years until it was no longer supported by TomTom.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  20. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

You mean being Portuguese isn’t illegal anymore!!!