1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

The most rational explanation I could think of was it was a test to see if people knew silver=2nd and bronze=3rd. But even that's stretching it.

Catriona likes this.
  2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

There are times when it is justified, but that's rarely in the heat of the moment. It can be an insight to an athlete's mentality to know if they are angry, upset, disappointed, or grateful.

3. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Are we talking about a ménage a trois?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  4. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Are Olympic Medals actually made of the metals in their name? If so, is the percentage anywhere near 100%? Or is it a very thin coating?
    (You can tell I'm not a sportsperson, and have never won any medal.)

5. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I placed an order via Amazon on Monday afternoon, which was dispatched on Tuesday, from a supplier in Dartford, Kent. Delivery is by Royal Mail. I've been told to expect the goods today.

However, if someone had set off on foot, it would have taken them 19 hours, or just over 6 hours using a bike, to get here. Oh, so you're wondering what's being delivered?

It's for 3x braille embossed Radar Keys!

6. DaveM399

The gold medal is solid silver with gold plating.

7. Footloose

Apparently, these ones are made from the recycled electronics of mobile phones etc, then coated with gold, silver or bronze.

Catriona likes this.
  8. DaveM399

I’ve got an order from an Amazon seller, dispatched last Sunday, was going to be delivered by Thursday, maybe now by next Tuesday.

9. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

One that I find irritating....... typically the question to the competitor is: "How disappointed are you?".

I'd like to hear a reply such as "Ummmm....... I'd say about seven." ;)

Catriona likes this.
  10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Best response would be "well, actually I'm glad, because even though my years of dedication, training, effort and tears failed to win me a gold medal, at least I can be proud I'm not just the person sticking a microphone toward someone competing and asking stupid questions on live tv."

steveandthedogs, peterba and Catriona like this.
  11. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I agree. If all recreational drugs were decriminalised the benefits would far outweigh the difficulties. Only the terminally daft would fail to learn from the American experience of the 1920s.

daft_biker and peterba like this.
  12. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Posy Simmonds dealt with that many years ago...
    live-1.jpg

13. Footloose

Radar keys have arrived! - In a small bubblewrap packet that easily went through the letterbox. I've had worse though, 2x Olympus eyecups which turned up in what could have easily held a pair of shoes ...

14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Apparently the medals have been made from recycled waste phones and laptops.

15. Malcolm_Stewart

I don't know what to say! Can't decide whether that's the very best, or the worst use for recycled modern waste!

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

It's a perfect analogy for the Olympics - dressed up as shiny, valuable and desirable, but actually a load of waste nobody really needs. Was reading something recently about how hosting the Olympics has consistently proven to be a huge net loss for the host city, despite all the campaigning claims of legacies and development.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  17. Malcolm_Stewart

Sounds like being the "City of Culture". I think Coventry may have it at the moment, and until I saw the recent news item, I hadn't realised that Coventry had a problem.

18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The original award for winning was a Laurel wreath intended to show that its glory was temporary.

Andrew Flannigan and Zou like this.
  19. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

"Mement0 Mori" or, George Patton recast it: "A slave stood behind the conqueror holding a golden crown and whispering in his ear a warning: that all glory is fleeting".

20. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

...decriminalise and tax...

Andrew Flannigan likes this.