1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I am just happy that I have found a builder, a plumber, a gas engineer and a decorator that I can trust. I don't even get other quotes when I need work doing. I recommend them to others and they then keep them. The only trade I need now is an electrician. Wasn't very happy with the last lot.

2. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

One of the plumbers who regularly does jobs in this block of flats is about bottom of the "Checkatrade" listing marked down for poor work and exorbitant prices, but he's on the building's "approved list" I wonder how far up the management ladder the back hander goes? I had an immersion heater fail in the hot water tank, he changed the whole tank, luckily the landlord got the bill not me, but it probably afffected the yearly rent increase. (typical prices (Screwfix) heater £25, tank £480 plus whatever markup he added)

3. dream_police

From what I have read and seen , I wouldn’t trust check a trade anyway.

4. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I've found replacing immersion heaters problematic. In two out of three cases, the top of the heater had bonded to the tank, and that failed when removing the heater, requiring a new tank. Even where I did the initial installation, and was careful to grease the fitting area, I still needed a new tank when the heater failed after ~30 years of use.

5. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

The castors on secretary (and other) chairs. There are usually five per chair, but replacements come in fours! It's usually cheaper to replace the whole chair.

6. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

If you trust your builder or plumber, then perhaps they would recommend an electrician?

Zou likes this.
  7. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

I’ve had a bad experience with 'Trusted Builder' and knew one tradesman's recommendations on Checkatrade were bogus, I wouldn’t trust them at all.

Decent trades people tend not to appear on those sites as they don’t need to.

I remember the 'guild of master craftsmen' logo that builders etc used to display. That was a load of bo**ocks as well, they only had to pay about £40 a year to use the logo without any checks at all.

8. dream_police

The last one I used was, lol. Perhaps it was just my experience with them but I wasn’t happy.

Catriona likes this.
  9. Catriona

Fair enough! I use a company here who until last time, I was happy with. Last time they had an also-ran with them who did some of the work. That work failed within a day. I called them back to fix it and was very disappointed when they said there would be a call-out fee. I disagreed! I didn't get charged.

10. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Peas... mushy excluded....

Every time we dish out peas at least one ends up on the kitchen floor.
    God knows how many there are behind the fridge & washing machine.
    In this day and age it's about time someone invented square peas.......

Catriona likes this.
  11. Catriona

They go very hard and your feet find them eventually!

dangie and John Farrell like this.
  12. Catriona

Bad night. Awake at 2.30am and unable to drop off again. Earworm song in my head mixed with trying to remember the surname of someone I used to work with. Got up and when I looked out the window, it appeared I wasn't alone in being awake. Several oother houses with lights on, upstairs and downstairs. Did something wake us all up? Or did one , then another and so on. Eventually it was a reasonable time to get up. Immediately remembered the surname.
    What a night!

13. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

Strange, something woke me up at around 2:20am as well

Catriona likes this.
  14. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

It happens to me from time to time, but I now have a solution. I soon as I think I might not get back to sleep quickly, I get up, get a good book, and pour a medicinal whisky and soda*. I'm ready for sleep in an hour.

* The soda is what makes it medicinal - it sooths the stomach.** :D

** If you believe that your more gullible than I thought. :D:D

Catriona likes this.
  15. Catriona

Haha! I should have done that.
    I sometimes wonder if I am hungry. I don't often feel hungry. If I do it is usually about 10am! Anyway, it is a real pita and my sleep is so often disturbed, I sometimes wonder if I would be better staying up all night and snoozing during the day.

16. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

This year my body still hasn't adjusted (in the mornings) to the clocks changing, - something I've never experienced before. How much and how deeply I actually sleep, has certainly changed since covid-19 surfaced.

I'm guessing that although my daily routine hasn't changed a lot, being 'told' what I shouldn't do, (even though these aren't things I want to do) still has had an 'emotional'/mental health impact on me.

Catriona likes this.
  17. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Dell Computers. Last year I bought a Dell computer with a Microsoft suite of software. Today, after an email reminder from Microsoft, I attempted to renew it. I got errors about change of region. After a bit of online investigation realised that Dell had supplied a US package. I had to get on to MS shop to sort it out. That takes time. I had to hang on for at least five minutes.
    I eventually spoke to a very nice person over a line with long delays (India via satellites??) Fortunately I had already realised that the problem was caused by Dell rather than MS, so I was polite.
    All sorted after a wasted half hour, and for the sake of convenience lost about 10 days subscription. Old contract terminated new contract in place, hopefully the right place. I commented that the problem seemed to be from Dell rather than MS. The MS person did not explicitly blame Dell but I got the impression that she had heard it all before.
    In spite of me being somewhat annoyed I genuinely thanked her for being helpful.

18. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

WGMG - taking my first shower since the spring! :eek::D

At this point, I think I should clarify that I am referring to my first shower this winter courtesy of Michael Faraday, rather than Sol Invictus. The local electricity company charges like a wounded rhino.

19. Catriona

I don't go into town often but I did today.
    Did a few transactions in different places buying this and that.
    Got home and decided to top up mobile.
    Rejected, rejected, rejected.

Eventually sorted this out phoning the bank number and eventually getting through to the right people. Ye Gods, the number of times I had to enter my card number, I began to think I had a crossed line and someone was messing with me.
    Apparently unblocked now with the There has been lots of fraud on bank cards and we have to make sure.
    After calming down, I will now go to the Co-op and hopefully the card will work! What to do about mobile top up? We'll see.

20. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Gear grinding
    And no it's not my ISP I'll post about that tomorrow (or Monday if they still fail to sort me out)
    Being woken by the doorbell at 6.30am by yet another Marstons Bailiff looking for one of the scrotes who gives my postcode when they get a parking ticket.
    He did not quite top the one who asked if I was Mr Imran Khan (not the cricketer unless he's really down on his luck)!!! But it was a close run thing
    Marstons told me over a year ago that they were amending the records they have for these people to state they don't live here, have never lived here etc so it has been very quiet on that front just a ton of letters
    Just hope its not starting again