1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

It was usually in the fog, rain, sleet or snow!

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

So most of the time then?

Catriona likes this.
  3. Catriona

Haha! I guess so. Obligatory visits to S-i-L. The whole episodes could be described as grim.

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

We used to travel between M1 and A3 on the car park, even at weekends never the easiest trip

Catriona likes this.
  5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Have another look, cyclists aren't allowed on motorways

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Exactly, due to the aforementioned carnage and delays they cause! :D

7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Back in the late 80's a friend's wife was a traffic warden at the same nick we we worked from. One day calls came in about a traffic warden cycling down the M4 towards Newbury. It was our friend. A motorway car had to go and collect her. No one took the piss of course.

Catriona likes this.
  8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

It'll be because of the accidents caused by their bicycles obscuring their brake lights and indicators when hung on the backs of their cars. ;)

dream_police, Zou and Catriona like this.
  9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Saw a dodgy one a couple of weeks back in Edinburgh. Bike's front wheel/handlebars swinging freely as the car turned/accelerated. Quite worrying.

Catriona likes this.
  10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

People with expensive camera gear who think they should have priority over folk without expensive camera gear, happily walking in front of other people shooting to get in their way and have the best view.

11. dream_police

Then spending all of their time making adjustments on manual setting.;)

12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

No, that's me. They were all on auto and machine gun mode. I'm the one using a manual focus lens on a viewfinderless camera at waist level. :confused:

Not been able to get onto the computer to check my images but it looks like a few may even be in acceptable focus!

steveandthedogs and Catriona like this.
  13. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I have experienced this on several occasions but not restricted to those with expensive gear. Just people with bad manners.

Learning and Zou like this.
  14. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

WGMG:-

1. Waking up on a Friday morning and finding a puddle of water on the sitting room floor.

2. Finding out that this is due to a burst pipe by the back of the house, and the water is running down hill and seeping through the wall.

3. Having to change plans for the day to fix it, as there would be no water in the house until I did, having turned off the pressure pump.

4. Having dug up and cut out the burst bit of pipe, finding that the old pipe is fractionally thicker than the standard fittings bought for the repair.

5. Spending an hour sitting in a wet and muddy trench with a Surform, tapering the old pipe-ends to fit the new joiners.

6. Pouring a large cold beer down my throat when the job is finished. Whoops - sorry - that last one should be in the RTBC thread. :D

John Farrell likes this.
  15. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Be glad that you have those skills. Many lack them and will face a long wait for someone to come and make the repairs, followed by a large bill, unless covered by insurance. :(

16. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

19:11 I admit I have been drifting off with boredom but as BOZO actually said anything yet?

17. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Ah from thursday ther is some form of less than full lockdown - but I have no idea what. Obviously I have a low threshold of boredom.
    I will check the Beeb's website.

Catriona likes this.
  18. Catriona

Yes, it's as confused as ever. Stay at home but if you can't work at home, go to work. Go to school and University. Essential shops open, but bars and restaurants to close but OK for take-aways to stay open. Those who previously shielded (and the over 70s) now told to be very careful. :rolleyes: Furlough to remain for another month.
    Make of it what you will. Presumably restrictions on household numbers and visiting...

PS But it will all be OK by next Spring when the instant tests will be rollicking along. Oh yeah. Of course they will.

19. dream_police

Are you following suit in Scotland too?

20. Catriona

Probably. Depends on apportionment of funds from the Government on the same basis as England. So... who knows?