1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

It's not the tyres it's the MAMILs riding the bikes that cause the ruts...:rolleyes:

2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Not all of us fat b*****ds wear lycra.

Zou and spinno like this.
  3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Did I mention you?:p

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I can't wear lycra it makes me sweat

just thinking about exercise

Catriona likes this.
  5. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

If you keep your car off the public roads (and submit the relevant form) you are excempt from Vehicle Excise Duty no matter how many miles a year you do round your private estate. If you wish to be able to put your car on any public road however briefly you are obliged to pay Vehicle Excise Duty. Vehicle Excise Duty is entirely about Roads (and public roads at that) despite as Learning said not being hypothicated any more than NI contributions are hypothicated.

6. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

My sacroilliac joint problem is a real pain in the ass!

spinno and MJB like this.
  7. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Annoyingly, I can't find the photo of the shadow cast by my gatepost as a lycra-clad lady jogger went past - it looked for all the world like a giant erection!

Anyway, footpaths... the clue is in the name, cyclists shouldn't be using them. I don't when I'm on mine.

8. WillieJ

Edinburgh District Council insist its nothing to do with them but that cyclists do have the right due to "The right to roam". Happy for cyclists to use footpaths and pavements providing they get off and push while doing so - but of course that is no fun is it? The selfish arrogance of (some) of the ones in Edinburgh Parks is onle exceeded by that of most of them on the pavements of the Financial District. A Banker on a Bike is not a pedestrian friendly combination!!!

9. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Ah, now there's no clue you're in Scotland, where the law is different!

10. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Footpaths are different to footways.

11. WillieJ

Apparently we have no footways in Scotland - or at least not in Edinburgh.

12. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Just footpads:rolleyes:

13. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Sorry it's the insurance over £600, not road tax. As far as I can make out the main reason for the high insurance is partly post code - BH1 close to town centre - and partly the parking here is an open car park behind the block of flats

14. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

We have footpaths near to me which are heavily used by walkers. I wouldn't dream of riding my bike on them. However looking at the Ordnance Survey map we also have more remote footpaths which I'm guessing rarely see a pair of boots from one week to the next. I can't see the objection in opening them up to cyclists (as long as they are responsible with regard to crops, livestock & gates etc...).

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Technically, footpaths are different from footways. I assume footways are what we, incorrectly, call "pavements" and the Americans, more accurately, call Sidewalks.

16. WillieJ

In Edinburgh cyclists are required to mount pavements in some circumstances at some junctions. We call pavements that becayuse they are traditionally paved with concrete slabs. Americans ternd to call roads pavements because they are often made with very large poured on site cement slabs - which are very dicy when it rains after a long dry spell.

Zou likes this.
  17. Catriona

Politics, USA and surveys posted on the BBC site online.

I think it's the naivety of reporting that never fails to irritate me.

Neither of the two US presidential candidates will be good for the Middle East and North Africa - so says a recent survey of Arabs in the region.

That's the broad conclusion reached by around half of all those questioned in the poll conducted jointly by the polling research group YouGov and the Saudi-owned newspaper Arab News.
    A further 40% thought Joe Biden would be better for the region, while only 12% preferred President Trump.

The poll was conducted online last month across 18 countries under the heading of What do Arabs Want?

Just over 3,000 people took part. Neither the incumbent Donald Trump nor his Democratic Party challenger Joe Biden emerge as being popular candidates.

Did they really expect something other than this result? At least the Middle East knows how to sweeten the UK. Just order more arms...

18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Large chunks of the M25 are poured concrete, many pavements are rolled asphalt and aren't paved.

19. Catriona

I used to hate the M5 concrete motorway. Not nice to drive on.

20. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Lucky it was often stationary, due to (checks notes) bloody cyclists.

DaveM399 and Catriona like this.