1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. miked

miked Well-Known Member

2. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

When an RTBC turns sour on me!

I mentioned in that place that I was cheerful about the thickness of a CD 'jewel case' being just one centimeter, and therefore in my new CD cataloging/filing system, I could just stick cheap tape measures on the dividers between the ranks, and the numbers would tally up with the recorded position of the CD.

Ha! 'Tain't so! I used my high accuracy calipers to measure a dozen CD cases, and they were all 1cm. I figured this must be part of the original Sony/Phillips specification.

I now find that, in fact, a stack of 29 CDs measures 30cm. Bah humbug!

I have just had to spend several hours scanning a thirty centimeter strip of tape measure, which took forever to get lined up and straightened out. I then loaded the TIFF into MS Publisher, which has very accurate scaling capabilities, and stretched it the requisite amount, and printed off an A4 sheet in full colour with a dozen tape strips on it. Tomorrow I shall slice it into the strips and fix them in place.

I have remeasured the CDs, and 1cm is right, but the caliper arm does not reach the centre of the case. My guess is that over time some small distortion has taken place, making the centre bulge a little.

Sod it! I was planning to strip naked and run , screaming with laughter, around the garden in the rain this afternoon. :eek: God knows when it's going to rain again. :D

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Had to get a new light in the bathroom. Job done, bill received and paid today.
    Pull chord no longer works!

Footloose likes this.
  4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I thought they only had those on organs? :rolleyes:

Catriona likes this.
  5. Catriona

I'm not laughing!! Tomorrow is saturday, so no doubt I will be in the dark until monday at least. :(

6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Stop now!

Zou and Catriona like this.
  7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Pipe down yersel!

8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

That has been noted. You try to appeal to the bassist on the forum, why not try to keep yourself out of treble?

Zou likes this.
  9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

This might cheer you up a bit Kate.

Catriona likes this.
  10. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

They certainly do bulge in the centre. I think it may be due to the manufacturing process, or simply where the pressure from the hinge forces the thinnest part outwards.

With regards to the printing of a strip of measurements, a simpler method would be to create a table in MS Word or similar, with 1cm wide cells.
    Either that or use a vector-graphics package, which makes life so much simpler (as long as they work - CorelDraw take note!)

I just created an A2 template for my TV wall mount. I have an A4 Printer, so had to be creative - in CorelDraw I created the image I needed to accurately place the screw holes, printed off the image on 4 sheets with enough straight line overlap and (more importantly) circles so that the paper could be cut to get the print right to the edge, and then line them all up.
    CorelDraw is being a bitch at the minute though, although I suspect it is the constant Windoze updates that screws it up in the same way it pisses my mouse off.

11. Catriona

Ah well, the electrician has just zoomed off to get another pull cord for the bathroom. The one fitted was faulty! Suppose I should be thankful they sent another electrician to look at it! The guy on the phone said I'd have to pay a call-out charge. I said, I don't think so, since it is only a couple of days since you fitted it! Big sigh, then so,meone will call today.

Fixed! New switch unit. Done. (hopefully).

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    John Farrell and Zou like this.
  12. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

yes, iot would have been easier, but the problem was I had to expand each cell by 0.04cm to match the centre-spine locations of the CDs. and the only software I have capable of that level of adjustment is MS Publisher.

Anyway, my scan of my brown-orange surveyors tape is terribly pretty, and it only has marking every centimeter (now 1.04cm). :D

13. Catriona

Making the bed and doing my lower back in! Ice on it now.

14. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Won’t that make the sheets wet?

Zou, MJB and spinno like this.
  15. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

maybe just moist, or even damp...

16. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

A woman of Kate's 'experience' probably has a rubber sheet underneath anyway. ;)

Zou and dream_police like this.
  17. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Comments like that are Tena penny.

Zou and dream_police like this.
  18. Catriona

You rotters. I did find out polythene bags are not leak-proof though. Soggy bum here..

MJB, Zou and dream_police like this.
  19. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

LMAO....

Zou and Catriona like this.
  20. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Careful, laughter often exacerbates issues like this! :eek:

So I've heard...

Catriona likes this.