1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

John Cage extended version...

Learning likes this.
  2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Unconnected filler. Incidently as far as I am concerned the least offensive of John Cage is that piece of background noise.

3. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I quite like Reich's "Drumming", but haven't heard it for years.

4. John King

John King Well-Known Member

The 'Halt' sign was never dispensed with. In fact added to with a solid white line where the side road meets the main road. A 'give way' sign has a broken line.
    As for stopping, the definition of 'stopping' that was pumped into me on my driving course went along the lines of:- The vehicle wheels must have stopped rotating and the vehicle ceased in forward motion.(That last bit allows for a skid when the wheels are stopped, but the vehicle hasn't).

Applying a handbrake is advisable and used to be taught by driving schools and was a 'fail' if you didn't when on your test. I don't think most people do and rely upon the foot brake, or simply 'ride' the clutch. I'm as much to blame as anyone if the stop is short but if it is at a hold up whatever I always use the handbrake if it is going to be a while.

5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Companies that do not put recycling information on their packaging, as in, is it recyclable or not.

On the flip side, my local authority has now begun food waste recycling, where it all just goes into our garden waste wheelie bin. No separate little bin like some areas.

John King, Benchista and AndyTake2 like this.
  6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

We've had that for quite a few years, and it does make life so much easier. Makes enough compost not only to supply the council with all its needs, but to sell on too. Only possible downside is that our (green) bin does get a bit smellier and in need of a wash out more often.

7. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Language and the abuse of it, is what grinds my gears. In a Guardian article today, the phrase, "there has been an uptick in cases...."
    I think there are times when a neologism can be valid, but in this instance why couldn't the writer use, 'rise', or 'increase'?

8. dream_police

As they mean the same thing, why not use it? Why is it abuse?

9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Neologisms are good when they serve to describe something not previously describable in a single word. Thus "byte" is easier to use than "eight bit word". They're just a nuisance when they attempt to replace an entirely serviceable word like "increase".

I hate sounding as if I'm on the same platform as the dishonourable member for the 18th century! :D

Learning likes this.
  10. Learning

Sometimes a neologism fills a gap in our lexicon. That is good and supports healthy evolution of our language.
    Sometimes a neologism serves no purpose but might be apt.
    Sometimes the neologism might be apt at its first use but then becomes abused, often by journalists who want to be seen to be using the latest jargon.
    If I was giving a presentation using a graph in which a parameter was gently falling and the suddenly made a steep rise, then I might use the descriptive term uptick. That expression strengthens the interpretation of the graph. The use of the term generally to mean a rise serves no purpose and is abuse of language.

11. Learning

The recycling information where stated is made useless by different local authorities having different recycling abilities..

On the matter of food waste. Raw vegetable waste such as peelings go in my own compost bins. The counsel does provide an optional paid for collection of garden and raw vegetable waste.
    Cooked food waste has to go in the bin for council incineration. Special methods are needed to deal with it by composting to stop problems with flies and rats. Our council does not compost cooked or none vegetable food waste.

12. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Yes, well, perhaps I am well out of my time where the English language is concerned, though I have long accepted that language does need to change in order to accommodate the everyday changes in life. However, I will continue to argue that the beauty of our language is rapidly diminishing each year and this almost deliberate ignorance of it is almost now a cause of celebration, rather than a shameful inability to enjoy the riches of good grammar. I will continue to 'sit' and 'stand' (I was 'sat' - I was 'stood') are examples of stupidity in my opinion - by every principle of good grammar irrespective of the seeming majority who could not care less.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Catriona likes this.
  13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Tut tut. Could not care fewer. ;)

14. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

My preferred usage is a variation on "I am constipated".

Zou likes this.
  15. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Both so wrong..."majority who could not be more careless"

Zou likes this.
  16. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

The modern way is "bothered, does this face look bothered"

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Oh dear, you're showing your age. :eek:

18. John King

John King Well-Known Member

That will start to pong a bit in the summer if the collection is 2 weekly! A veritable rats gourmet restaurant.

19. dream_police

Recycling again. In our Airbnb there are 2 bins in the kitchen. One is clearly labelled for recycling and even has a printed list on the lid explaining what goes in it. WGMG is people who are either too lazy, too stupid or don’t care, and put whatever they want in either bin. It really isn’t difficult.

20. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It doesn't, actually, so long as you put garden waste in as well. The empty bin (full of delicious bin juices) smells worse.