1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yeah, when we moved to Edinburgh, our kettle started descaling immediately. Oddly enough, having moved back down to within a couple of hundred yards of our old house, the water is much softer than before, and our kettle just hasn't furred up again to any great extent.

Catriona likes this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Mine was shocking in Hillingdon (Middx). Cost me a fortune in bottled stuff.

3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Gin,Brandy,Whisky etc.?

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Haha!
    Many a smuggle run to France was made...

John Farrell and spinno like this.
  5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Might have to start them again...

Catriona likes this.
  6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Our water is so hard, plumbers go round in pairs.

7. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Ice sea where you are coming from...

Catriona likes this.
  8. CollieSlave

CollieSlave Well-Known Member

I have a very good pension and could easily afford to panic-buy (or, to use the more acceptable, stockpile) for weeks or months ahead but I will not. What really grinds my gears are those who utterly selfishly panic-buy (stockpile) vast supplies risking both clearing shop shelves and making it really hard for those without the financial resources to do so, and for folk who have no personal transport (often elderly, hard up, less mobile folk). Starting to panic-buy, as we know from earlier this year, has a fast snowball effect: some do it, so many others do it to try to ensure they can purchase what they need. Just buy what you need, as usual, and there will be enough for us all!!

Catriona likes this.
  9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

If you can get stuff delivered then no problem. If you do your own shopping then one needs to limit trips to the supermarket. If you want to isolate then stockpiling long lived goods is essential. There are presently no shortages. Morrison's were even giving out coupons encouraging one to spend more than a certain amount on one visit within a week. Avoid trying to panic buy in a few weeks' time by responsible stockpiling now.

Catriona likes this.
  10. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Thames Water is based in Reading, right next to the south side of the river; however, if you live on the north side, the water isn't anything like as hard, so I'm guessing TW is unwilling/hasn't bothered to install pipes to merge both water supplies.

Catriona likes this.
  11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Brita water filters, much cheaper as long a you over use them

Catriona likes this.
  12. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Maybe I've always been lucky in the areas I've lived, but in the UK I don't know why anyone would buy bottled water... :confused::confused:

13. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I like to have a bottle of water (for drinking when I'm away from home) in my car door's pocket. I normally use tap-water, and it seems to stay drinkable for some time. I once treated myself to bottled spring water, and it went off in a day or so. (Milton Keynes is a hard water area.)

14. John King

John King Well-Known Member

It annoys me when people who drive come up to a junction but then stop as much as perhaps a cars length away from the stop line. This can have a two fold effect by blocking the path of someone who wants to turn left, but the road is too narrow at that point for them to pass. Plus where they do stop, many times this does not give them the clear view in either direction so they can see when it is clear to pull out.

Then

It is also apparent if I am driving on a main road with a junction on the left and I am going straight on. Many times I have seen a vehicle comes from the left and indicate to turn right and the driver never ever looks to his/her right to see what is approaching in the closest lane, they always look into the the opposite lane where the want to go. It is no wonder so many crashes happen where one vehicle hits another when they pull out in front of others and claim. 'Sorry mate I didn't see you.' Of course you didn't you muppet, you didn't look!.

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, stopping well short of the Stop/Give Way (Yield for our North American friends) line is common, not helped in any way by the number of such lines that are in need of a repaint. It seems many drivers don't know where the front of their car is so they can't drive right up to the line for fear of going over it. This means that when a suitable space becomes available they aren't in a position to exploit it because they have extra distance to travel, surprisingly, they are able to estimate this correctly making one wonder whether stopping short is deliberate after all.

Of equal concern to me is the number of drivers who see a right turn lane and use only half of it thus blocking the left hand lane, which the right turn lane is designed to relieve. Of course there are never cameras/police around when these individuals are encountered.

16. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Not seeing the front of the car is a pain!
    It can be difficult to judge where the front is if the line is badly painted, especially (not mentioning any names Mini) if the car has curves in weird places (mini always looks odd, or mine does anyway...that's what Mrs T says :D)

As for pulling out - it has become increasingly difficult to see vehicles beyond the pillars without doing an impression of a meerkat - I have nearly hit buses because they just happen to be travelling in an arc, at the right speed, right where my blind spot is:confused:

Not as unlucky as my brother though, who has just had another accident after re-starting as a taxi driver. Someone ignored a red light and T-Boned him at a junction:mad:

17. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Maybe it's time the 'HALT' sign was re-introduced? - If I remember correctly, as well as stopping, you also had to apply the vehicle's handbrake?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  18. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

On every driving course I have done, including my advanced, we had to do that at stop signs. My last assessment drive had changed IIRC, in that we didn't have to apply the handbrake but the car had to come to a proper obvious stop

19. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Another WGYGs. Live concerts on R3 without encores. This evening's concert finished 15 minutes early. I feel short changed. Just another minor irritation of the lurgy.

20. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Are you saying that R3 broadcast 15 minutes of silence, or some time filler which was totally unconnected with your concert?