1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Now you're insulting his wife

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

An unintended aspect of my banter.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I'm sure I'm not the only male who looks at his wife, looks in a mirror and thanks whatever deity that's passing for her poor taste in men...

AndyTake2 likes this.
  4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I don't understand most of it! Ha! Innocent me.

5. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

I just googled “tools for women“ and got some interesting results :D

Apart from all the tool kits being pink in colour, I don’t see any obvious differences from quick online searches.

In my own experience of working in maintenance I’d say generally women have smaller hands and build than the average male, so maybe this is a case of ergonomics of tool design?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    AndyTake2 and Catriona like this.
  6. Catriona

I know this is the case with garden tools for me. I like border spades and forks in preference to standard size ones. I am a titch though, so it has always been that way for me. Where we might win is in stamina and determination!

retrofit likes this.
  7. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

They say love is blind.

8. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Not really sure if this is true. Men usually just give up as it’s often not worth the effort... :)

9. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Certainly when we have a woman around to carry on for us.

AndyTake2 and Catriona like this.
  10. Catriona

That's the normal excuse!

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Give up? What’s give up? Sometimes I abort an attempt in order to gather resources, other times I revisit a job to redo it properly. Occasionally I will take many small steps before I get there, giving up only happens when you run out of time.

12. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Even the bloody Haynes guide to DIY for women is pink! Personally I really hate pink!

13. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Going from my experience of mother, sister, wife and daughter, you are not alone! :D

14. Catriona

Good lad!

What used to really grind my gears was when I started a job around the house or garden - which I had been asking to be done by hubby for ages - was as soon as I got stuck into it, hubby would appear at my shoulder to 'advise' or correct where I was going wrong.

I think you can imagine my response!

Zou and Danno like this.
  15. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

The best advice would be to not go wrong in the first place, then he wouldn't need to advise or correct.;)

Zou likes this.
  16. Catriona

Oooooh! You devil!!

Zou and dream_police like this.
  17. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Over the past 4 weeks, I have noticed that our water has become a lot harder; I've been using a filter jug for ages and one of those powered magnets was also fitted when a new combi-boiler was installed 3 years ago. In the past, I've descaled my glass-lined Sage kettle* and replaced the water-filter every month, but now, I need to do this every 2 weeks. Cold water Limescale is even building up on the glass water-jug I use to top up the filter jug as well!

Needless to say, water suppliers don't have any 'standards' relating to water hardness, but maybe, that view may change in the future, as it's been cited as increasing the risk of cardiovascular disease and apparently, diabeties.

* The Sage kettle is one of the best I have encountered for getting your hand into, and you can also see if all the limescale has been removed. For that, I use a couple of squirts of bottled lemon juice, which is brought to the boil twice, then left to stand for at least 30 minutes.

18. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Water is very hard here.
    I use spirit vinegar neat in the kettle to get the worst of the limescale off, and a 50-50% vinegar and water mix topped up in the kettle to get the rest off.
    The coffee machine specifies a mix of spirit vinegar and water for it's cleaning cycle.

19. Catriona

I'll have to send you a few bottles of my water here. Descaled my London-furred up kettle in a couple of boilings.

Unfortunately it also shredded my fingertips until I got used to it!

PS I also kept saying to the people at the local Council where I worked, that they had a resource which could make them a fortune if shipped to London. They never took me up on it - more fools they.

20. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Only interested in Scottish Oil and Whisky...

Catriona likes this.