1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

Single here and I do all of the above and computer is on 24/7

On a normal tariff fixed for a year and like the other residents of your building I am paying a similar rate.

Might be beneficial if you could maybe ask one of the other residents if they would mind reading your meter for you.

2. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Well, our electric (all electric) bill covers the three bedroom, garage, office, cooking, washing and three computers, two fish tanks/heaters/ filters running 24-7, cost £18 a week and that is OVO, and I have just used U switch to save £280 a year why don't people switch.

When our BT internet is due my son always phones, complains, talks about the latest deal with a UK based person not abroad, there is a trick to that, and we always get it back to the initial cost, it never goes up.

I remember my stupid father was paying that well know insurance company old people use £680 a year for his car, I forget the name of the company, he was typical, BT for 40 years same with British gas etc, I did a quick go compare and got better insurance for £230, I estimate he had lost £3000+ over the years.

It will be interesting to see the electric usage with the new car when it needs plugging in

Is it SAGA?

Go with small companies

CHANGE don't complain :)

"Welcome to So Energy"

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  3. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

TVs that don't last.

Hands up all those with a computer monitor that has lasted a decade or more
    Easy peasy - they last for a long time, we usually end up giving the things away when we want an upgrade.

SO why can't manufacturers make LCD TVs that last as long? They are larger, so easier to make on an electronic level. They are churned out in larger numbers than computer monitors, so quality control shouldn't be an issue, so why has my TV decided to join the ranks of the clapped out brigade? This is the second TV in a row which has lasted just 4 1/2 years. This time we have magenta blotches over the screen.

This one (Samsung) was a replacement for a Sharp, which came from John Lewis. Their 5 year warranty meant that we simply got a replacement, but were told the new one wouldn't have a 5 year warranty. Needless to say I am a bit pissed off with the thing.
    I have been in contact with Samsung, who say that it needs to go to a service centre. The service centre says they can do a diagnosis via photos and over the phone, as the problem is visual. I paid £20 for the initial diagnosis and am waiting on the results and what it would cost to fix.

Looking online shows that it is a known issue, and it can't be fixed. The only option is to replace the screen, which will likely cost more than the TV. When I get the report, I intend to then contact John Lewis and if necessary, Samsung, and see what redress I can get. I don't know how much help I will receive as it is out of warranty (although well within the EU expected life of TVs)

edit...

less than a minute after typing this, the service centre contacted me.
    As I thought, the TV is kaput as far as replacement screens go. The screen is not available from Samsung. The other alternatives the tech centre has access to are also no longer made. They were very nice, and said they didn't know the legal status of the screen dying, but they will forward me the report so that I can pursue Samsung.

4. Stephen Rundle

Well I am sure you are aware of the fact that a 12 month guarantee really means nothing in the UK..

It is fact that depending on the value of an item you can still claim for a repair/replacement after years.

I sucessfully got a replacement monitor from Samsung after three years (and a ccs) because as is the case the Court stated that for the cost it would be reasonable to assume that the item should have lasted longer.

A pairof £10 shoes perhaps a few m,months a £1000 monitor perhaps 5 years. People just don't bother.

40 years ago if something packed up after a few years they would complain now :(

I DO

5. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

Roving Mike,to answer your question,I`ve always had a great interest in film,
    actors and the industry itself.Very often the music used on the soundtrack is listed among the credits.
    I also like to see who did what,like best boy etc.Many of the names among the crew are familiar to me.

I suppose you may call that obsession but it`s important to me.

SqueamishOssifrage and Catriona like this.
  6. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

The man who covered only his mouth (not nose), took for ever talking to the girl at the counter, wanted her to go look for another pair of sandals, eventually paid by cash drawn from his pocket and got cash change. Then proceeded to walk out the in corridor - to the accompaniment of me berating him for his thoughtlessness on all counts.

Footloose likes this.
  7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Yep...
    masks.jpg
    ;)

Trannifan, Danno, Learning and 5 others like this.
  8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

It's why I flatly refuse to go into Waitrose in town. Its full of (mainly elderly) people who are only covering their mouths with a mask, pull the mask down to chat to people and manhandling all the stuff on the shelves before picking the item they want. You see it in all the shops, but Waitrose seems to be the worst.

Catriona likes this.
  9. Catriona

I can say, quite honestly, I was furious. I think it's the Spar shop for me from now on, whenever possible. The do-dos in the Co-op today had to be seen to be believed.

10. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Having fun and games with the laptop I've just bought; as usual, there are the Win 10 updates, but unlike my desktop version you can either use a keypad no or a typed-in password. Having configured it and added some software, I closed the laptop down, but on starting it back up, my password wasn't recognised - Somehow or somewhere I must have selected the keypad option without realising it and after much hair-pulling I eventually 'twigged'!

I was beginning to get stressed out because I intended taking the laptop with me on Monday the 17th when I go to Cirencester and around the Cotswolds for 5 days. I've always had short-term memory issues, so was thinking this had let me down, when in this instance, it probably wasn't to blame!

11. Catriona

What's the keypad option?

12. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

On Windows 10 you can select to log in via a four digit pin - which I always do, as it is way quicker than typing a password.

Catriona likes this.
  13. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

After turning all the IT stuff off and unplugging it as there was an electrical storm brewing, I find the NAS I had mapped as a network drive can no longer be accessed, even though the IP address hasn't changed.
    I use it for the imaging files. Fortunately the current ones have been copied to the office computer.

14. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Are you on MAC Catalina by any chance?

15. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

No, Win 10 Pro.

16. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

OK. Can't help then. If it was Mac I have a workaround as I keep losing connection to mine!

17. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Must be the built in obsolescence. Did you get any of them repaired?

I have given up buying expensive white goods. I avoid certain brands, keep to the basic models and never buy extended warranties. If they break I try to fix it myself, if I fail I get a replacement. Usually works apart from the washing machine we bought during the lockdown which does wash but rocks the entire kitchen.

My approach to photographic equipment is the complete opposite.

Catriona likes this.
  18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Even a 3 character password?

19. Stephen Rundle

Bought my Panasonic TX-50AS500B 50-inch Widescreen in 2014 still perfect ............................................... wait for it :(

20. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Fair enough, but it does irritate me when I have to sit through several minutes of them on TV channels I'm paying for. But pet hate is the ones that keep popping up every few mins during first 10 -15 minutes of the film. I usually switch it off.

Also the impenetrable and endless attributions: A Dogsbody production, in association with Costalot Films, a Fred Nurk presentation, from Dingbat Studios on behalf of Canal + and RTE, in association with Whoopee Ventures and Simon Smelly...etc etc. Who on earth made it FFS?

Gezza and Catriona like this.