1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Having driven high powered front wheel drive cars for 35 years I have always put new tyres on the front. Only when buying four tyres has that not been the case, it is called lazyness!

retrofit likes this.
  2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I check my tyres every time I use my bikes. Pressure mainly. My singlespeed has slicks and commuter has fairly little tread.

The simple life. :)

dangie and beatnik69 like this.
  3. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

I just swap out the rears approx every 2 years, and I don’t bother with tyre rotation as the fronts are past their best after 4000 miles.

4. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

My 4wd tyres wear equally all the way round, and I use 50/50 tyres - on road/off road - using a very hard compound. Great most of the year when roads are hot, but I slow down a lot in the winter rain!

Incidentally, my monthly tyre check consists of using a tread-depth gauge at three locations, checking inner, centre and outer tread depth at each location. This is a very good check for correct pressure for the ambient temperature. and correctly aligned steering.

5. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

My front tyres wear faster than the rear. In more than 180,000 miles only once have I had to replace all four at the same time.

I tend to buy my tyres from Costco and they refuse to fit new tyres to the front if the rear are in good shape - they always insist on swapping them round.

Apropos an earlier thread I'm afraid that I would have to dump a vehicle that only gave me up to 9000 miles on a set of tyres. I normally drive (pre covid) more than 15000 miles a year and I couldn't afford to swap tyres twice a year. I reckon to get about 25000-30000 out of a set. (Michelin Pilot ) and even that's painful at £150 a tyre.

MickLL

6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

The actual performance difference between premium brands and cheap imports is now negligible, so you might as well buy them. I drove in tyre tests 40 + years ago and it was very little then and almost entirely due to the technology of the car and competence of the driver. Measurable difference in the products themselves could almost be discounted as the technology is very old and diminishing returns set into improvements soon after steel radials were invented.

7. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

My own records don't bear that out. Before I quote numbers I have to admit that I'm not convinced that I have dealt with the front/rear swap properly (in doing the arithmetic) and I also admit that it's hardly a properly conducted scientific test.
    Here are the numbers from my records:

Continental (original tyres on car) about 16000
    Vredstein (an experiment to save money) about 20000
    Michelin (several sets) between 26000 and 31000

I also admit that this 'experiment' has been conducted over the 13/14 years I've owned the car. The data (dates and mileage) taken from the tyre invoices.
    Last point. I drive well over 90% of the miles done in this car (SWMBO does the other 10%) and, to my knowledge my driving style/habits don't change according to the tyres I have on.

MickLL

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Interesting but, without knowing the make and model of car, not terribly useful.
    My own experience with a range of tyres on Three Saab 9000s, Two Saab 9-5s and my current NG 9-5 is that fronts last around 18,000 miles and rears something over 30,000. Basically I fitted new fronts every year and rears every two years at a time when I was doing 18,000 miles a year. The make of tyre didn't affect the life significantly, though Toyo tyres wore faster than others. My current economy tyres have lasted pretty well and I don't see any advantage in paying an extra 50% for a major brand.

9. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Useful to me - but, I agree, not to others. I deliberately didn't give the car details because of the irrelevance to others. If I gave you that information what would you do with it? My 'test' at least has the benefit that it's the same vehicle - not the same or similar model but the same vehicle.(Edit) There's also the further advantage of the same driver, same journeys (mostly) and , more or less, the same mix of road type and speed.

Your experience and RMikes post piques my interest. I'll look for properly conducted tests but all of the science in the world doesn't alter my own real life experience.

MickLL

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  10. retrofit

I like to test the market with tyre brands (for the car), but on my bike I always fit a super soft tyre like the supercorsa, and this is where you really notice the difference.

1000 - 1500 miles on a soft tyre
    3500 - 4500 miles on a medium to hard tyre.

11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

When you clean out your chest freezer and you find someone you don't recognise.

12. retrofit

did you mean, something:eek:

Catriona likes this.
  13. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Bought a couple of new fitted sheets. Washed and now ironing them. I noticed that the second one I was ironing was shorter than the first one - but wider.
    Fortunately I realised the problem when I spread it out on the bed. I nearly complained. Thank goodness I didn't. Very nice quality and not expensive. (Sleepdown).

AndyTake2 likes this.
  14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

No, he never lies! :)

MJB likes this.
  15. Jeff Farkas

Jeff Farkas Well-Known Member

At the moment.. my Gov.. in the US. They can't agree on the next stimulus package and they've had months to get the job done.

16. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Gas safety check guy refusing to come into my flat because it smelt of smoke, he was really rude about it as well. Find it hard to believe he hasn't encountered a smoker before, suspect the reality was he wanted to finish for the day

17. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Slow Forums

Zou likes this.
  18. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Seems to be fixed. Be happy:)

Zou and Jeff Farkas like this.
  19. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yes I was talking more about active and passive safety performance, rather than mileage. There are still harder and softer compounds, but I'm not sure the safety difference of the softer outweighs the loss of mileage, mainly due to the fact it is only a part of the overall geometry and the car / driver make a much greater difference. But a few years since I dealt with tyre advertising. Handled, Dunlop, Uniroyal, Goodyear at various times.

20. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Well for a start I would know whether it was front, rear or all wheel drive, had "interesting" braking technology* or unusual geometry. All factors that can adversely affect tyre wear. As it is the same car we don't have to consider the possibility of an alignment error but we probably need to consider that your driving style has become more conservative as you get older.

To be fair, Michelin have a reputation for long life so I'm not surprised that they last longer but I didn't/wouldn't have expected quite the difference you experience.

*Jaguar have a technology called "Anti-dive" which applies the back brakes rather more aggressively than is the norm to prevent the nose of the car from dipping under braking. Whether it makes the ride any more comfortable I couldn't say but it has, to my mind, undesirable effects on tyre and brake wear.