1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

That's how the forum works.

John Farrell and dream_police like this.
  2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Can sometimes be mildly irritating but there are always thread drifts. A bit like a conversation with a big group of friends. That's what this place is.:)

John Farrell likes this.
  3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Re Booking.com the most recent covid-19 visitor sentiment/confidence tracking results (last week's) I've seen show both booking.com and Expedia have both taken a big hit due to the way they handled cancellations. Some positives but overwhelmingly negative.

4. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Ikea instructions that are just plain damn' wrong! :mad:

For over forty years I have been sleeping on a waterbed, and have left frames scattered around the Middle East - add shelves and they make excellent bookcases - and replaced a good few mattresses during that time. Last week the damn' thing developed a leak, resulting in me spending two nights on the couch. It was quite a bad leak (and not the first, either), and as the mattress was twenty years old, on a life expectancy of ten to fifteen, I decided to dump it and trek up to Ikea for a normal bed.

Bought me a bed and mattress, and got stuck into the assembly thereof. All went according to plan, everything checked and double-checked, so got the instructions for the mattress. They clearly show placing the rolled up mattress on the bed, correctly aligned and orientated, and then removing the straps and cutting the vacuum-sealed bag, so the mattress just unrolls itself onto the bed. The next picture shows the small curve in the mattress, lifting the ends up, and then showing it flat after 72 hours.

I did all this, observing the turned-up ends as per picture, but when I felt the surface of the mattress, it was pretty damned hard and lumpy. I figured it must flatten out after sleeping on it for a couple of nights, so went to bed on it, after making it up with the old bedding.

It was a miserable night! It felt like sleeping on a cobbled street. Come the next morning, I was really was half crippled, despite having two mattress protectors between me and the cobbles. I thought I would have a look at the under-side of the mattress, and guess what? - nice and soft and squishy, no cobblestones, not even the tiniest bit of gravel, nor even a grain of sand - just smooth and soft - remarkably like a mattress, actually!

Of course, turning the mattress didn't go well, either, as it had to be done from the side and it kept on knocking the slatted bases off the frame in places, until I stuck the damn' things down with double-sided tape and covered them with duct tape.

I have put together quite a lot of Ikea furniture in the last few years. When I quit my office in the old stables, I turned it into an Airbnb apartment, entirely equipped from Ikea, with nary a curse nor cross word. Everything assembled as it should and as per instructions - including the unrolling of the mattresses. I have never known any problem with Ikea stuff, not even a missing wooden dowel, or small screw, but this time they screwed, and screwed me up. I had red welts on either side, and probably my back as well, that took most of the day to go down, caused by the bottom end of the springs which should have been resting on the slatted bases. I was too damned tired to get up in the night, after sixteen hours of draining and dismantling the water bed, and then building the new one.

I have to say, I feel much, much better about it after that rant. :p:D

Miserable Ikean bastards.

John Farrell and Catriona like this.
  5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Both cars have run their batteries flat. Luckily we don't need to use either urgently and the new battery charger is "in the post".

6. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I've grown to live with drift but still get irritated if I ask for help with, say, a blue widget and the next three posts say, "never has a blue widget, but I've got a green floggle toggle".
    OR ask for a recommendation and say please do NOT recommend ,say, AP. The first answer is almost inevitably - I recommend AP!!

MickLL

7. Andrew Flannigan

Wouldn't use a green floggle toggle myself. Then again, what sort of idiot buys a blue widget in the first place when red widgets are cheaper and better. :p

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Nonsense! Red widgets are for fitting on the left and green widgets for the right, are you trying to cause an accident?

9. Andrew Flannigan

Darn. Foiled again!

10. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Or those who answer pointlessly.
    For example a few years ago in The Lounge I asked 'For those who like Peanut Butter, Smooth or Crunchy?'

Answer... 'I don't like Peanut Butter...'

11. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Prefer crunchy, but neither do any favours for my equator (I don't have a waist anymore :().
    Sorry.

12. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Why? Does it really matter?

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The bits in crunchy get stuck in your teeth! I still prefer crunchy but it keeps the toothpick manufacturers in business!

Catriona likes this.
  14. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I don't like peanut butter.

Derek W, dangie and Learning like this.
  15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have a number of Microplane graters, possibly the Heineken of graters, one of which I discovered some years ago wasn't dishwasher safe. I obtained a similar replacement by asking a colleague to go to the only town centre store that I know stocks them (in Seattle) so I had no real need to keep the damaged one. However I decided to see if it could be fixed, just as well that I kept it because it is a Fine Ribbon Grater and they don't make that one any more. What really annoys me is that in the USA the basic grater is $9.99 on Amazon UK it is £17.99.

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of peanut butter but if I'm going to have to eat I I may as well have the satisfying crunch; helps to identify that you aren't eating poo on toast.

John Farrell likes this.
  17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

What's that got to do with peanut butter? Start your own thread, hijacker.

And now for some puns and a soupçon of politics!

Catriona likes this.
  18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Grate now you want to talk food politics!

Zou likes this.
  19. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

What grinds my gears is the way the drainage channels at the back of my fridge keep icing up. I have to keep clearing them. Grr!

Food? A labour of love isn't it? ;)

Zou and Derek W like this.
  20. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Mum's fridge does the same, no idea why.

Catriona likes this.