1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Apologies if this is what you did, but log onto the website, from your profile click bookings. Your upcoming bookings should be listed. Click view booking and there should be a banner at the top re COVID 19 with buttons to cancel, contact property etc.

Below the hotel details there maybe another button to select for cancelling (If it was one that allowed cancelling anyway). I have just done mine for Porto in July.

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Also, pro-tip, don't use booking.com. Nightmare to deal with (from hotel side), who misrepresent the property and disregard their customers frequently.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Early in the 1990s, when engines were still blue with white arrows on them...

Diesel railway engine Crediton Devon IMG0023.jpg

4. dream_police

I think you've mentioned that before. I have been using them for years. I for one, as a customer, have been happy with them.
    What do you mean by misrepresent? All the hotel booking sites all seem to have the same hotel descriptions, photo's etc as well as all having the same price, give or take.

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

They edited our room descriptions to make them more attractive, including features we didn't offer. They then expected us to compensate the customers if they weren't happy. Also with conflict resolution they tried to push everything to the hotel, even if/when the fault was with their booking processes.

Generally their attitude stunk and they always had ideas above their station when it came to negotiating commission.

To be fair there are a lot of agents with poor customer management so it can be a minefield, but they stand out as the only big agency we decided to drop - just wasn't worth the hassle.

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

As far as I can see all the hotel booking sites have a different interpretation of "Car Park" from mine. What I mean when I select "parking" is "sufficient on-site parking that nobody is blocking anyone else and there is one space per room". What the booking sites seem to understand is "there are some parking spaces on-site but you might be locked/blocking some one else but you might have to park half a mile away". The same can apply to other facilities; Wi-Fi can mean "a really good signal everywhere" but could be "A good signal in reception but nothing anywhere else". The situation is worse in the UK than in the US but then we don't have as much space.

7. dream_police

I agree re the parking. As I drive through Europe a fair but I always have choose a hotel with onsite parking, hopefully free and not one that charges almost as much as the nights accomodation!

We had one in Barcelona that was underground, below the hotel. I only had a Honda Civic at the time. Manoeuvring that relatively small car was a nightmare. Then to get to one in Zaragoza I had to drive my car into a lift that took me down. Only got my Evoque into that by retracting the mirrors and that was a real squeeze, sides. front and back! The parking sensors were screaming at me so had to ignore them. At the car park level I had to reverse out, No mirrors to use, it was very low light, sensors had to be ignored and I ended up hitting something as I emerged. I had no passengers so no one to guide me.

I wish that had been on the description for this city centre hotel!

8. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

You ok Cat?
    Haven't got the bloody bug have you?

Catriona likes this.
  9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I've no idea. Don't think so. Just dodgy bits everywhere.

John Farrell likes this.
  10. Catriona

11. Andrew Flannigan

I've read that. Allowing for the circumstances, there's nothing nasty about it. The article is carefully slanted to make it appear like the emergency legislation is an attack on civil liberties but it's really just good sense in the circumstances.

No: I have not the slightest idea what's happened to the real Andrew... ;)

Learning likes this.
  12. Catriona

The thing that went past my ears, just once, was a Law Society spokesman saying that legal representation and advocacy was now being denied. They were very concerned about that aspect, and so would I be.
    I heard this morning that someone is suing over the death of a relative in a Care Home. The case has been taken on and I hope it gets somewhere. It was a poanic measure to decant all those people into Care Homes without knowing if they were infected, and to then not follow up on the care or testing or protective equipment provided there. They are all happy to bankrupt people for care home charges and charging what to me are unjustifiably hugh fees for the so-called care provided. It has been a money spinner for those running the homes and the Government has just washed its hands on regulating it.
    Now, if what I read and hear is correct, protection measures to protect Home owners appears, to me, to be behind these measures.

13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

You'd be amazed* how many care home companies are Tory donors.

*You wouldn't.

Trannifan and Catriona like this.
  14. Andrew Flannigan

15. Catriona

I'd forgotten what a pain it is to get batteries for my lumix via Amazon. Then I remembered, WEX. No problem and ordered within a minute.
    None of the Amazon lot will post to the Islands.

EightBitTony and Zou like this.
  16. Andrew Flannigan

So much for the Universal Service Obligation. Of course, competition with private providers is such a good idea when they all have to play on a level field... :confused:

Postbox in Exmouth HX90V 15101710.JPG

17. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Are they not rechargeable, it can’t be that long since you last ordered some.

Catriona likes this.
  18. Catriona

Good memory. Better than mine.
    I had two right from the start and a cycled them. One seemed to not hold charge for very long, so I ordered another a while back. Now the other is failing, so another replacement. Not bad after quite a few years.

19. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle Well-Known Member

People who reply to a post you make that has NOTHING to do with YOUR question

20. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Ta, it all got sorted. At length I got an email saying it had been cancelled. The property had already reserved me for next year, so they got the booking direct.