1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

One place I used to work had 2 microwaves, one was an 800, the other was a catering one with 1000 watts.

it was vitally important not to use the 800 cooking instructions when using the 1000 one, it resulted in explosions!

2. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Years ago, I was at a meeting at a site I rarely visited. The meeting overran, but there were some plated meals left over from lunch in the canteen which you could nuke. What I found out quite quickly was that the rating of the microwave was 1500W!

AndyTake2 and LesleySM like this.
  3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Along similar lines, a few upgrades back the 747 and 777 fleets were fitted with microwaves to allow passengers to heat snacks from the onboard offering (Premium passengers). The snacks weren't particularly popular and the microwaves rarely used. However, crews had to be told not to use them for anything except the snacks because they were rather more powerful than any domestic microwave. I think they have gone now.

4. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

If I remember, from reading the monthly Air Safety Review, they and the infra-red ovens the replaced/supplemented had a tendency to give cabin crew regular shocks.

The ASR was a good read. Covered all incidents from planes flying into mountains to crew accidents.

One that sticks in my mind was an incident at Moscow airport where a baggage loader punctured the skin of an aircraft with the prongs of a fork-lift. The final line was something like, "He was dealt with by the management," which sounded a tad ominous.

AndyTake2 likes this.
  5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

We eventually determined that the use of nylon carpets and inappropriate choice of underwear were probably to blame. The inappropriate underwear was conjecture, we assumed that the material of the uniform in combination with some other fabrics was charging up the crew members and the, grounded, galley was discharging them. We didn't ask to perform experiments, we thought we could predict the response!

6. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

The problem with these higher-output ovens is that the boxes they come in rarely state what power settings an oven offers, so unless you dig out the manual, you won't find out.
    I have just been to Panasonic's website and they don't show under the specifications for their products, what outputs their ovens offer.

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have a policy with such manufacturers, I don't buy the product.

Zou likes this.
  8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

When your wife knows you are on a video call but tries to distract you regardless. o_O

9. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Doesn't that depend on how she tries to distract you... :eek:

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

No. :confused:

11. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Phoned lastminute.com just now to ask where my refund voucher from March was. Almost unintelligible voice took ages to come up with "It'll reach you when it's ready".

12. RovingMike

Went onto booking.com site earlier to cancel for a wedding in Norfolk in July that is now postponed. FAQs says yes you can cancel, but no clues as to how. So I replied on the booking confirmation they originally sent me. No response yet.

No sooner had I posted than this email arrived from them:

Vielen Dank für Ihre Nachricht an den Booking.com Kundenservice.

Um Ihnen bei Ihrem Anliegen behilflich sein zu können, benötigen wir zusätzliche Informationen von Ihnen.

Bitte übermitteln Sie uns in Ihrer Antwort auf diese E-Mail folgende Informationen:

• Ihre Bestätigungsnummer und den PIN-Code:
    • Die E-Mail-Adresse, die Sie bei der Buchung verwendet haben:
    • Den Namen und den Standort der gebuchten Unterkunft:
    • Ihr Anreise- und Abreisedatum:

Wir freuen uns auf Ihre Antwort.

Falls Sie noch weitere Fragen haben, helfen wir Ihnen gerne weiter.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Glad to see they know who I am, where I am and what I booked with them.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  13. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Almost as helpful as the announcement I once heard on Feltham station: "The next train to Windsor and Eton Riverside is running five minutes late. This is because it has been delayed."

Learning, LesleySM and AndyTake2 like this.
  14. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Waiting for a train at Paddington I heard an announcement that passengers for the Westcountry should take the local train to Reading where a long distance train would be waiting for us. Having done as I was told I arrived at Reading to be told that no such announcement was made and no train was waiting. :eek:

At least eight other people, it turned out, shared my delusion. I know this because a group of us gathered and shared addresses. We each then wrote a complaint to British Rail who refunded our full tickets plus £15 each for "inconvenience".

15. RovingMike

Yes almost up with one on Harrow-on-the-Hill station: "This train has been cancelled due to cancellations".

16. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

What about Bernard Miles and his 'Over the gate' monologue, (at 7 mins 45 secs in) about Willy the Porter, during WW2?

"Ere you are for where yer goin' all you for 'ere, get out."

17. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

No related to trains but as it was an announcement at Warren Street tube station I have to mention it, I can only think the announcer got confused between busking and begging and came out with:
    "London Underground would like to remind you that buggery is not allowed in this station"

18. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

BRITISH RAIL??? How long ago was that??

Lynn

19. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Going for a walk. Now feeling as if I've been sledgehammered.

20. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Good punchline at 5-13. Best to start a couple of minutes earlier to get the story.