1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

People are always so picky, they forget for how many years it did operate successfully

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The freezer. You are living dangerously. I have a kitchen freezer with draws and a small chest freezer. Both have many cold blocks and containers of stock to keep safe temperature through a power cut. If a freezer fails and if I hear the warning buzzer in time then I would get most of the valuable contents secure.

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

So am I. Who isn't?
    Yes I know. I'm supposed to be on his political side. Some of our chaps are better than others. Gove is in the set of others.

Zou likes this.
  4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The one that spends most of its life switched off?

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

The one that would take longer than any other to get to the plug to switch it off.

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Aha! So you're Donald Trump... :p

7. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I saw this statement coming I am an expert in fake news. If I didn't make it up then it didn't probably not happen unless I told you it wasn't going to not happen unless Dr Faurici said it wouldn't but he told me that I was right that it would which I then said we need to end the lockdown of fake news.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  8. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

My freezer is safe for over 24 hours as long as I don't open the door

9. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Probably is. That's where it is all coming from and I smell burnt carbon. I used to change them on my electric trains when I was 12. Haven't done any since.

10. LesleySM

GRRRR

Brought an under bed box to store some bedding in, been sitting in the hallway for ages because I needed to sort out the stuff under the bed anyway. Tonight sorted out under the bed so I could put the box in.....

Bloody thing is half in inch too tall to fit under the bed!

John Farrell likes this.
  11. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Daft question, but why didn’t you buy one that fitted? :)

12. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yes we got a couple of the Ikea ones a long while back. They were returned.

13. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

You can more in a bigger one
    :)

Zou likes this.
  14. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Always best to measure those boxes! Made the same mistake myself once.
    Mind you, not as bad as ordering the wrong Peli case.
    Years back I wanted something to protect all the camera gear. I got a couple of Peli 1510's which are flight sized cases.
    I also wanted something to put all the other gear in.
    I ordered a Peli 1630. It was the size of a house.
    Luckily I could return it for an exchange. I got a 1610, which stores lots of stuff. It isn't the size of a house, but could at least fit in my flat:p

15. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Radio stations not playing full versions of songs.

Back in the day of vinyl this was understandable - record labels would release shortened versions of some songs, as that is what would fit on a 45 single, and also keep commercial radio stations happy.

But today? everything is a digital file - and on BBC radio why do they persist with the practice?

Hearing songs such as More than a Feeling by Boston, Can't fight this Feeling Any More by REO Speedwagon, 2 out of 3 Ain't Bad by Meatloaf, and in my head I start singing the 'next' verse, only to find that it's not playing on the radio is a tad annoying (i.e. it pi$$es me of a lot) to say the least:confused:

Zou likes this.
  16. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Put the bed legs on half inch blocks or books
    MickLL

John Farrell likes this.
  17. LesleySM

I got it in the sales ages ago and it didn't occur to me the check the measurements! Oh well I stuck it in a corner of a bedroom, stores my spare bedding just fine there

18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Given that there is a gap of just 60mm under our bed I'll not be offering to take it of your hands Lesley.

LesleySM likes this.
  19. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

My camera bags and lighting kit live under the bed. There's space under Mrs F's side for inessentials; like spare duvets . ;)

RovingMike and AndyTake2 like this.
  20. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I don't think I've moaned about this before, but a disabled friend has been kicking off about the containers that ready meals come in. First is the plastic film over the top of these, which tears apart when opening, then there are the meals with 2 compartments, which aren't serrated to split them apart, whilst the Chinese and Asian meals are. The problem is that when you peel the covering off, the steam from the one you are not emptying is likely to scald you.

God knows how the partially sighted cope with this! Improving the quality/type or thickness of the film covering isn't going to increase the price by much, whilst serrating during the packing process, isn't that difficult, as they are already doing this with some of their other meals. No-one as far as I am aware makes a cutter specifically designed for this purpose, which isn't easy to do with scissors. Is this considered something that is only an issue with a minority of their purchasers? Another similar situation is the fitting of automatically-opening doors on shops. These came about due to the access needs of wheelchair users, but shops very soon realised it also increased the footfall of mothers with buggies etc, and that was why so many began fitting them.

Zou likes this.