1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I refer you to my above message.

Catriona likes this.
  2. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle Well-Known Member

Noisy neighbours kids any age :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Noisy neighbours are not a problem here, but I am sure that if we had them then they would be a real pain. Kids? I would cut them some slack, as long as they are kids, under eight or nine. Even ten year olds are teenagers these days.

4. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

My mobile phone is on the way out. Keeps switching off, emitting loud beeps then it went off and went I tried to restart it I got a ton of technical messages about fatal errors etc until on the 8th attempt it rebooted fine.

I need my mobile my landline isn't working right now, Dave's mum goes hopefully into hospital on on the 16th for heart surgery so I need to be in touch

So okay a new phone is an expense I do not need but as I don't want the lasted Kewl model it's not too bad but of course that means trying to swap the SIM over then the last time I tried I snapped the bloody thing?

5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

My cordless DeWalt drill/driver is on the way out. Put up hooks in the shed yesterday and all kinds of sparks, pyrotechnics and smells were coming from the back end. Still, it has served me very well, best I've ever had, although never used it on hammer. I use a real plug-in one for that.

6. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Are you sure it’s not just the brushes? De Walt were one of the best a few years ago but that is probably makita now. The better ones are now brushless.

Learning likes this.
  7. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Ditto Gezza's post on this one.
    Check the brushes - there are plenty of youtube videos dealing with how to change them.
    I love tools where the manufacturer actually thinks ahead to allow us to fix them without too much hassle.
    Some expensive gear out there is treated as disposable, but I have drills/grinders etc which actually came with extra brushes. Don't bin it until you know it has a DNR notice:p

Learning likes this.
  8. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

It's possible to get plenty of different models now at a reasonable price. All depends on what you want (Android/Apple) and what you do with it.
    Also depends on how much data you use. Phone calls are now effectively free with sims, but it can sometimes be cheaper to get a phone/sim combo when considering a new phone. Lots of the lower end Samsungs are still really good (although they tend to be more plastic than metal now) so just read a few reviews and take it from there.

As for inserting the sim, just take it easy. It is too easy to put them in at an angle and get them caught, leading to cracks or throwing across the room with such expletives as 'Oh deary me! I believe that this blasted thing is not worth my flipping time'...or words to that effect:D

9. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

My ZWO ASI 1600 camera that's playing silly buggers with the cooling. Keep seeing 100% cooler power but still at ambient temperature. Have to go out and unplug / replug the power lead.
    If the bloody thing hadn't cost me £1600 I'd have drop-kicked it into the recycling bin. As it is, it'll probably have to go back to China for repair.

10. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Or in my case ask a friend who I know can do it for me

Weirdly since the problems with my phone eventually settled it has been okay again perhaps it was just having an off day

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Restarting often good for phones, as is clearing cache.

12. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

most electrical items can benefit from such a kick in the pants

13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Microwave ovens too?

14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Most? Many I agree but the simpler devices are as likely to just turn up their toes at such treatment as to respond. That said I gave a voltage regulator a 16V inverse kick a few weeks back but when I tried it again the right way around it was fine.

15. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

@Zou seems to work for mine being turned on and off everyday
    @GeoffR yes most smaller items respond to the reboot. I did wonder about a nuclear power station....

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Will try it with the freezer next.

17. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I'm no expert...:rolleyes:

18. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

It didn't end well at Chernobyl.

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

You are Michael Gove and I claim my prize!

20. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

No I'm not, you've been made to think that I'm Michael Gove because he is not an expert, but I'm a better non-expert than he is.

Learning likes this.