1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

However, dealing with WASPs can be rather more difficult..........................

Lynn

Learning and Catriona like this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Hmm. Can be demanding...

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

There was one of them wearing a dog collar asking awkward questions at the virus briefing the other afternoon.

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

To be fair it was the best question ever asked

Catriona likes this.
  5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm not in a good place today.
    Went to the Co-op.
    The queue to get to the point of being told what till to go to was about 40 metres long, snaking back down the frozen food aisle.
    I had a basket - no small trolleys this morning. So I sidled up to the exit and found a wandering supervisor and said I wasn't waiting, sorry.
    He signalled to a female assistant who took my basket and puit it through he self check-out for me. That was very nice.
    Got home. Put it all away to the tune of a text coming in on my mobile. Didn't know I was so uptight till I told the mobile where it could go!

Earlier, I phoned the computer shop, to find out the speakers are out of stock, so no music via my PC for a while.

Not a good day.

6. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

The bloody jack that connects my speakers to the PC has failed and the spare doesn't appear to be working so for the time being my music will be via Alexa

7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Well that’s what she is there for.

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

No it isn't.

[Cue Black Mirror theme music]

LesleySM likes this.
  9. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Don't you mean "Alexa, play the theme music from Black Mirror"?

10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Please can someone explain to me why anyone would want an internet connected device permanently listening in to what is going on. My computer does not have a permanently connected microphone. My laptop is rarely powered up in the home.

Zou likes this.
  11. dream_police

I could be wrong, probably am, but it is listening for it's wake word ie/ Alexa, Echo or whatever it is set at. If the device is not connected to the internet, "Alexa" spoken will still wake it, but it will tell you it is not connected, so even not connected to the internet it is listening for an instruction. That may still be the same. It listens (as it would if not connected to the net) and the wake word then connects it to it's servers.
    Even if that's not the case, it'll not hear anything interesting in my house. I could be wrong and it might be a big conspiracy to record every single conversation in my house.

12. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

In some people's cases, Alexa will quickly learn not to listen to them.

13. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Isn't Alexa Dominic's pet name for Boris; Alexa screw the general public and let me do what I like...

14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Can't be, Alexa is always switched on and as we all know, Boris often disappears for days at a time (not always just prior to publishing deadlines)...

LesleySM likes this.
  15. LesleySM

Exactly as demonstrated by my reaction to the alarm most morning. Mine has the single most annoying alarm, which serves it's purpose as it wakes me up if somewhat rudely

Many a morning the day starts with the alarm going off and me screaming "STFU!" but it just keeps going until I remember to say "ALEXA! STFU!" at which point Alexa says "Sorry I don't know that" and I have to say "Alexa, turn off the alarm PLEASE!"

16. LesleySM

I can just imagine someone getting a job listening into conversations from Echo Dots etc and thinking they're going to be like James Bond/GCHQ etc.

Just after 7 tonight, i switch my Echo dot on and the listener gets ready!

Well after 2 hours he/she will have heard me greeting the cats with the comment "Got SHEBA, you want SHEBA?" followed by a chorus of cats then me unpacking my shopping, putting down some Sheba and putting my dinner on, the only words I probably said were "Alexa tell me when 10 minutes are up!" because I had to add some things to my cooking 10 minutes after the rest

Then she'd hear some bad words as I tried to fix my sound on my PC (no luck yet but I think I am on the right track just a sod to miss the Bells quiz tonight) then a cry of "Sod it! I'll ask Cliff tomorrow!" followed by me serving my dinner, eating it, washing up, jumping in the shower and singing (badly) "Sugar Mice" by Marillion then I said "Must bag up the rubbish to take out in the morning" and did that and asked Alexa to set me an alarm for the morning and then "Oh I must sort out the recyling"

At this point the James Bond/GCHQ wannabe realises why the management have put large stickers on their desks with the phone number to the Samaritans displayed....

AndyTake2, spinno and John Farrell like this.
  17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

My wife's glasses have broken. Attempting a superglue based repair but something to add to the to-do list of "when this is all over."

John Farrell likes this.
  18. dream_police

Hayfever.

What grinds me gears is the same as what grinds my gears every year. Why the hell do I not start taking my tablets well in advance rather than wait for the first sneeze?

I'm doing 2 half day classes tomorrow. Not a good time to be in front of a class sneezing. I suppose they may all be worried and leave. That'd be a result!

Zou and Catriona like this.
  19. LesleySM

Based on my experiences recently there is certainly a market for t-shirts reading "Don't panic, it's only hay fever, not you know what"

dream_police likes this.
  20. dream_police

I have some T shirt transfer paper somewhere. Perhaps that's an idea before tomorrow. Not sure whether the company would be happy I am not wearing their logo'd shirt though.