1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

People who don't know when to stop digging.

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I can sell you a nice shovel like.

Catriona likes this.
  3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Stupid thoughtless women and men (sometimes) who having put through a packed trolley load at the supermarket wait till the end, then sort and bag up their stuff, then decide to pay for it. All this time, people are waiting for a checkout to become free. If I have loads (seldom) but I do occasionally, I just dump everything back in the trolley, pay, then go somewhere away from people to bag it up before hauling it home.

Footloose and Zou like this.
  4. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

"Thou whoreson zed, thou unnecessary letter" , to quote The Bard.

John Farrell likes this.
  5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

As an English person myself, I’d use the words pardon and bastardised. :rolleyes:

Learning and GeoffR like this.
  6. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Supermarkets here have signs "Please don't pack your purchases at the checkout".

Catriona likes this.
  7. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

People who use the hand-scanners in supermarkets and 'bag-up' whilst selecting things and then have to unpack it for a scanning check ....

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I can always bag up as quick as they can scan it, but I do like it when supermarkets provide packing areas. In Japan there are often little tables with additional paper bags and packing bits and pieces past the till area.

Catriona likes this.
  9. Catriona

I do wish our supermarkets would follow this. At the same time, I wish our Government had followed New Zealand's wonderfully clear stages and been so clear about it all. You are lucky people.

John Farrell likes this.
  10. Catriona

That is so civilised and thoughtful. We could do with the same here. I go to the now empty area where there used to be a cafeteria and is well away from other people, if I want to bag up my stuff before leaving, since I'm not filling a boot!

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Even our local Lidl has a broad shelf along the window you can use for packing; rare to see such features in bigger supermarkets (presumably because they expect you're driving and don't need to decant the trolley?).

Catriona likes this.
  12. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Yes, our local Lidl has the wide shelf beyond the checkouts for packing. The checkouts themselves don't have much space after the scanner, so it's better to pop it all back in the trolley and pack either at the shelf or by your car. Also, Lidl checkout staff seem to be the quickest at scanning, compared to the other supermarkets.

Catriona likes this.
  13. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

The least expensive supermarket chain here, Pack & Save, are the one with the signs. The other two chains, New World and Countdown, have packers at the checkout. Guess which one I frequent.....

Catriona likes this.
  14. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Until Victorian times 'ized' was the correct spelling. The use of an "S" instead was a French idea that became fashionable in the 19th century.

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Nicely explaining why those from the USA use that spelling.

16. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have in the past found myself without shopping bags, because they were still in the car, and simply repacked the trolley and decanted the contents into bags to load back at the car. In a situation where there are people waiting to get into the supermarket that seems a good way to speed things up.

Catriona and Zou like this.
  17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

But not why they insist on the French-inspired dropping of the 'h' in herbs.

18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Interestingly they don't drop the h in hotel.

The international phonetic alphabet renders H as Hotel, I wonder how French pilots etc. get on with that?

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

With a shrug and "'otel"?

spinno likes this.
  20. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Nae cake, and nae flour to bake a cake. Sad times.