1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

30 minutes before the washing machine repair was scheduled for, I've just had a text message from Hotpoint telling me the engineer is no longer available and I need to rebook. Next appointment is two weeks from now.

1. I'm pissed off, that's a long time (added to the last several days) without a washing machine
    2. Two weeks? Sounds like the guy who was in our home a few days ago is isolating. Yikes, hope he's ok for everyone's sakes.

Guess it's time to start hand washing the laundry. :(

2. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

2 weeks!

Consider the laundrette revolution that operate 24 hours outside of supermarkets (Morrison’s)
    Buy a new washing machine as they can be picked up for around £200
    Buy a beater off eBay or local second-hand store (assuming some remain open)
    Can family help out? (just drop it off in a bag outside there house:D)

I’d never do laundry by hand, I have so much washing to do!

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Lucky I'm working from home - no need for presentable clothing!

Not going to spend £200 on something for two weeks, or realistically less when you consider delivery/installation. Then what when the old one is fixed?

No launderettes around here, too small a town for that. Closest is in the next town but that's a trek with bags of laundry, just not worth it.

We'll get by, it's just an inconvenience.

John Farrell likes this.
  4. retrofit

You’d then have a spare washing machine for the next pandemic in 10 years:p

5. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

This issue of fake news continues to wind me up a lot.

I expect certain people to comment through the lens of their own opinion. I wouldn’t expect Corbyn,for example, to be full of praise for BoJo. However there are certain things that must be a fact and I’m finding it harder and harder to keep calm when such facts are reported so differently.

I won’t try examples . I’m sure that you have your own.
    MickLL

6. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Going back to basics, I do recall that the best thing I had when first married was a standalone spin drier. Spout at the base and the water came out. I must admit I wouldn't mind having it now! Do you know anyone who has a mobile home or caravan, who might have something you could borrow? Worth a local appeal?

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

As we're both staying at home our laundry use is minimal; we will do priority items by hand and the rest can wait. Think of it as the wardrobe equivalent of running down the larder. ;)

Catriona likes this.
  8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Just don't get your pans mixed up when your giving your skiddies a quick boil on the hob.

spinno likes this.
  9. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Or indeed your pants mixed up...

Zou and MJB like this.
  10. Catriona

Anywhere to hang them outside to dry? Good luck. It's not so bad really.

Zou likes this.
  11. retrofit

Washing machine and a tumble dryer are your friends here.

I honestly couldn’t live without the two.

I used to hate seeing damp clothes hung up to dry (that damp smell) and hard feel towels get when put out to dry this way.

12. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Hung to dry in the garden clothes won't smell of damp and towels won't be hard.

Catriona and Zou like this.
  13. Catriona

Thank you for that!! They smell and feel so much better dried out of doors. What a weird thing retrofit said (for me)!

14. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

It seemed odd to me too Kate. I grew up in house with a Hotpoint twin tub and woe betide anyone who kicked a football near mums washing line.

15. retrofit

It’s just way more practical to wash then put the stuff directly into the dryer.

I like to think the high heat cycle of the dryer is needed considering the wife’s uniform can get a bit gross on occasion :eek:

Also, the dryer is reliable all year round and I hate looking at clothes all hung up, or in the garden.

I do a lot of washing, sometimes two in a day!

16. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Perhaps you should take it off before the fun and games gets messy?

LesleySM, DaveM399 and MJB like this.
  17. Catriona

I suggest your dryer is making towels hard. Also, they get a build up of detergent. If you don't believe me, try a few (and I mean a lot) of hot rinses of your hard towels. You will be surprised at the suds coming out.

18. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Since until the 15th of June is the close-season for fishing, their SWWBO's could give them a big stone and use them as a Dhobi? Having said that, they're doing very little when they are fishing, so they can still continue doing the laundry at the same time? ...

19. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Depends on the fishing. Trout season opened at the start or March. There's a river 100 yards from my house full of yummy brown trout and the wealthy tossers who pay thousands of pounds to fish it can't. Seems a shame to waste them;). I'll abide by their rules though. Upstream dry fly only.

Catriona likes this.
  20. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I live in a retirement block, no outside clothes lines allowed, not even hanging them out of the window.