1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Either I or an acquaintance have had an email security breach. I often get emails from "her" with the right name but wrong domain. They usually contain one of those abbreviated interweb links. I have told her about it but sadly she does not get it. I do not get suspicious links from other contacts on my lists. I think the problem happened at her end. Common contacts have the same experience.

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

BST

Catriona and DaveS like this.
  3. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Damn right.
    British Stupid Time. Who thought it any kind of a good idea?

Zou likes this.
  4. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Yeah madness. An increase of milk yield of 11% but an increased risk of mastitis (24%).Illegal in the EU anyway... Hang on... You're not talking about Bovine Somatatropin are you...

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

As someone who wakes up when it get light, I find the extra sleep very helpful. All the change does is effectively send you to bed an hour earlier.

6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I've spent a King's ransom on dog toys, teething chews, rope pulls etc. for the pup. Her favourite toy that goes everywhere with her... o_O

91382488_10156832691461669_4613133860492804096_o.jpg

Learning, CollieSlave and AndyTake2 like this.
  7. Learning

Is residue from artificial Bovine Somatatropin found in American beef and South American corned dog?

8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Not in EU imports. Now you have your Brexit that may change for UK imports.

9. Learning

Indeed it is banned in the EU and Britain. America uses it. I don't know if it is possible to tell the difference between the natural hormone produced in the cattle and the artificial stuff made in a factory. I don't see any need to import American beef. I prefer to see the country of origin clearly marked on all foodstuffs. That includes our own exports and all imports.

10. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Yes it is and quite easily. That's why post-your Brexit the US wants us to relax our food safety rules to secure trade deals.

Learning likes this.
  11. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

You only know where meat is produced because of EU legislation.

The European Food Information to Consumers (FIC) Regulation 1169/2011

As soon as the UK government can be persuaded by the US to drop that legislation it'll happily do so and you'll be none-the-wiser about which is British and which is non-British meat until the health impact kicks in.

12. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I gather that in the US, there are a lot of people who don't trust the US food regs and prefer the EU ones, so some US farmers/producers do actually process food to satisfy that demand. The US probably could indeed sell us food that satisfies the EU's rules, but I'm betting the really big producers prefer the less fussy/expensive US rules, and because they can muster a lot of political support, they are demanding we discard the EU rules?

13. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

hoarding and selling hand sanitiser upwards of £13 on eBay...

14. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

The money grabbers who upped the price of respirators from £27k to over 90k
    Link was on beeb I think but don't have details

15. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Are they money grabbers, or just reflecting the increase in production costs? They're being asked to increase production on a massive scale. They have to recruit additional staff, they can't just go go Screwfix and get a bucket of nuts & bolts and the suppliers are under equally heavy pressure to produce medical grade parts at an unprecedented level. Once this is over they know the world is going to be awash with ventilators and they're going to have to diversify into other areas for their business to survive. This won't be cheap for them.

Very easy for us to sit in our armchairs and be outraged, but I suspect the headline doesn't reflect the full story.

16. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

There is an old saying: "Fast. Cheap. Good. Pick any two."

EightBitTony likes this.
  17. Learning

Not only EU regs but our regs. In some areas we are likely to become more stringent, ostensibly to protect our consumers, and purely coincidentally to protect our producers. Bozo's government is now relying on parts of our population well away from the South East. Farmers, manufacturers and their employees may even outnumber the London parasitic elite. Bozo will follow the votes. Don't also forget that his chancellor represents Richmond. The real Richmond up in Yorkshire.

18. Learning

I cannot state here my message to them. To do so would risk drowning in fixer.

19. Learning

I am sure that you are keeping an eye on her. We wouldn't want her swallowing any bits that she might chew off.

20. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Our regs, as introduced as part of EU legislation. I can't help you if you believe a Tory government will have more stringent food labelling.