1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I should add that it wasn't just one episode with M&S bank this afternoon, I had one runaround at 2 o/c including a phone call to the helpline, then went away for a while and tried again just after 3 with the same result, including another call to the helpline.
    This has been just too much.

2. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

'Basic Manual' supplied with the camera, in this case, an Olympus.
    This booklet has 330 pages, of which 12, are in English; the rest is in 32 other languages.

However, the full manual has to be downloaded as a .pdf file which consists of 332 pages ... Surely it would make far more sense (since the printing on the packaging is probably specific to each language) to supply the full instruction book instead? :rolleyes:

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Stick the 330 page manual on a set of scales and see what it weighs. Then multiply that by the number of cameras in a shipment, no I haven't a clue how many that is, and it probably comes to some significant weight. The cost of flying all that paper from Japan to, in this case London, will be significant which is why they don't do it. Why the chose to transport a different manual, of the same weight, instead is beyond my understanding. However, I have the manuals for my Nikon D4, D3 and 1J5 plus that for my wife's D300 and some flash guns in my shirt pocket. The PDF is, as the name suggests, rather more portable. PDF being an abbreviation or Portable Document Format.

4. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Just had to book an appointment to see a consultant re a cataract op, earliest I can get is July 13, what's the betting the op will be another 4 or 5 months after that? Good job the other eye is still working fine.

5. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

A well known high street optician who have begun offering eye scans for £10. They apparently know how to work the machine but not how to interpret or explain the results. Therefore they are referring patients to consultants for no good reason - and scaring patients at the same time.

MickLL

6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

But I did get a gist last year that there might be some tension from consultants that, after the hiving off by NHS of ears and eyes entirely to Specsavers, people were not being referred up to them, possibly when they should. At the private level consultants have been losing out.

7. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

My wife saw a consultant last night after a referral from Specsavers. Here's our experience:

1. the person in Specsavers could not explain what she saw on the scan.
    2. She had a name for it but couldn't explain the cause, the symptoms (there were none), the course of events or a prognosis.
    3. The referral letter said "we have noticed changes to the retina. " Note the word changes. As there had never been a prior scan it was impossible to say whether anything had changed! Better wording might have been "an apparent abnormality".

The consultant said that he's getting lots of referrals of this type both in his NHS work and his private practice. He is certainly not 'losing out'. In his opinion eye scans are not needed unless there's a 'clinical indication' . I cannot explain what that means.
    In my wife's case his opinion was that the 'change' was very common, didn't affect her vision, wouldn't affect her vision and he proposed no further action. He appeared to think that the referral had wasted his time (my interpretation) but he wasn't blaming us. His further advice was to steer clear of scans - particularly ones done on a commercial basis.

MickLL

8. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

This sounds a bit like what has happened since the 'Fit for Work' assessments were farmed out and the number of cases where people subsequently challenged their assessments.

9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Pulling the cord out of the blind pull. Then spending half an hour undoing the knots and rethreading it (with shaky hands). Done!

10. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Pulling the blind out to wind it back up further than it was going and then not able to put it back. Need herself to help with very tricky alignment of slots at one end and powerful spring at the other.

Catriona likes this.
  11. Catriona

Nasty!
    I can't pull the blind up in the livingroom more than about 2ft. It's so heavy! Then trying to get it down again needs more muscle than I have. I get there eventually, but fighting behind the darned thing to clean the windows is an art.

12. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Crate training a puppy. Not a pleasant experience, but will be worth the effort in the long run.

13. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Slow and steady, and plenty of rewards. Crate should be a happy place. You'll get there.

14. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The "news" services and their obsession with that bloody virus. Apparently the loonies are clearing the shelves of loo paper!

Catriona likes this.
  15. Catriona

What a load of sh*t!

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  16. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Well I bought a litre of isopropyl alcohol a few weeks back, and I have some ultrasound gel. I'm set for life! Just mix it up and sell it for loads of money as hand sanitizer.
    Form an orderly queue:p

Catriona likes this.
  17. Dorset_Mike

Currently suffering a plague of what I think are fruit flies although I see descriptions of 2mm long and a tan colour, not many of the ones here are that big, more like 1mm and look black, would they be the young 'uns? I've tried some of the counter measures listed on Google etc, a bowl of cider vinegar with a little wahing up liquid to reduce surface tension does attract some but so does a glass of water; but more keep appearing. They seem to like a white computer screen and that does give me a chance to fight back with a fly swatter at hand. Aerosol fly sprays seem to have little effect.
    Any suggestions?

18. Catriona

I'm no expert but it sounds like fungus gnats. This explains all about them.

http://www.plantadvice.co.uk/garden...he-ultimate-guide-to-killing-fungus-gnats/125

19. Dorset_Mike

Not them, legs here are much shorter.

20. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I cancelled a direct debit, company wanted to take a payment every 4 weeks but as I get paid every month it caused a payment to not go out, So I cancelled the direct debit and paid on my card.

Today they sent me 4 letters! Two of which said "We cancelled your direct debit but as you have paid by another method you don't owe us anything"

The other two said "We didn't get paid so you need to pay us"