1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

When I got together with Greté we discovered we had a shared interest in books, and several duplicates. Over the following few years we ended up with over 2500 fiction books in the house, some signed, many much loved and very old. We moved house twice with them, packing was a nightmare. They were triple stacked on cheap ikea book shelves (can't afford to have proper shelves put up) for years, until Greté's arthritis got so bad she found she couldn't hold them easily to read them. She is a voracious reader and re-reader, often reading an entire series every time a new book is released. So she was pretty emotionally impacted by finding she couldn't easily hold the books - until she discovered the Kindle. It's been frustrating having to rebuy stuff she's owned her whole life as e-books, and even more frustrating finding much of it isn't available or only parts of a series are, but she's getting there. She also loves to knit while listening to an audio book (even harder to find for many of her favourite books).

We tried selling the physical books, including trying to find a second hand trader who would take them in bulk but in the end, we donated most of them, over 2000, to a couple of local charity shops. They just didn't have any value worth the effort, and we felt good about supporting some animal charities. We've kept a few physical books that we're sentimental about, and anything we got signed, but otherwise, all gone.

We've had to accept that if the Amazon Kindle DRM servers cease to exist, Greté will lose all the e-books. It's trivial to find people selling DVDs of DRM-free ripped copies of the books, but we try and support the authors as much as possible.

Edit: We gave up physical CD's years ago, making the move to MP3 much quicker than we did e-books, and just this weekend I've started getting rid of many of my 1000's of DVDs / Blu rays. Time to go digital there too and give up the physical objects (excluding a number again for sentimental reasons).

Catriona and retrofit like this.
  2. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

:oops:

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Now I'm not sure if my camera is on the blink Lumix LX-100 or whether the SD card is messed up. I think I put the card in incorrectly once (I think, because it seems strange I should get it wrong now, but message appeared). Now I'm getting the message off and on when I know it is in the right way! Argh. I don't want the upgraded LX-100, so now wondering whether to change route. :(

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

5. Catriona

6. Catriona

I'm wondering now if I should opt for the direct load to my PC from the camera to save removing the card quite so often.

7. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

I've posted this before, but one thing that winds me up is personal wet dreams like the Bloodhound SSC.

They only need £8million in the next month or they will wind the project up.

A bit like they have wound up the UK with the damn thing.

8. Andrew Flannigan

Pity it isn't this sort of bloodhound. At least it did something useful...

Bloodhound missile on launch pad Weston Super Mare DSC01671.JPG

Catriona likes this.
  9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I can't remember where it was but I came across one of those by the side of a road recently, there was a helicopter there too.

10. Andrew Flannigan

Weston Super Mare Helicopter Museum?

11. AndyTake2

Remember being shocked seeing one of those big buggers when they were in active service - at RAF West Raynham I think.
    Driving around taking photos for council, and the driver had clearance to go there. Just got round some hedges to see this monster pointing skywards.:eek:

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Yes quite possibly, we were going to, or from, Cheddar to or from the M5.

13. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Ooh, I had one of them.

The Airfix version, that is. ;)

14. Catriona

Much more fun!

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Fortunately the CAA agreed that he had done the right thing.

Catriona likes this.
  16. AndyTake2

Those Delta style wings have a curse and a blessing - they want to get airborne, and the ground effect means that they get pushed high with very little effort.
    I was always amazed to see the Vulcan (a true delta) thinking that there was no way it could stay in the air at such slow speeds, but it certainly did.
    As for the take off and landing - it was the only thing to do, and as the saying goes - 'it's better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6'

Catriona likes this.
  17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The Victor has a Crescent wing but the long wing root does indeed increase the ground effect.

18. Catriona

I don't think I will listen to the Today programme any more. Presenters are rubbish. Content is rubbish. Wprld Service for me now, or Radio4xtra.

19. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Sodding M&S sodding internet sodding banking. Tried to pay my credit card through their site, as I usually do, but got dumped out for no good reason. Was asked to log in again but got the "your session is ended"
    Paid by phone eventually, but M&S have fecked up once too often, and I will be canceling my card.

Catriona likes this.
  20. Catriona

Being told how to wash my hands by a local Health Service that hasn't fulfilled its functions for years!