1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

In the meantime, try to enjoy your holiday and don't worry.

dream_police likes this.
  2. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Hopefully the radiation will sort out all the problems. Ultrasounds are not too bad, at least you are not having to wait months. We were in North Wales at the time it the time of the Chernobyl disaster, probably lost a few years as a result.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Camera reviewers who don't check their facts, despite having the information available and express as facts their own, probably irrelevant, prejudices.
    An example from a Nikon D4 review "CR1616 lithium coin cell for the clock, rated 2 years. This is new for Nikon; Nikon used to use a more expensive internal, permanent rechargeable battery that never needed to be changed". I'll not name the reviewer but Nikon actually introduced the CR1616 clock battery with the D2H in 2003, a full 8 years before the review was written. I am sure there are plenty of other examples.

4. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Not being able to buy a pack of cotton handkerchiefs in one of the well known supermarkets a short time ago.

5. Catriona

I'm just happy if mine has toilet paper!

6. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

For a while I thought I wasn't going to have a chance to grind any gears today, got in the car, put key in ignition - wouldn't turn, tried turning steering wheel - also appeared locked; went back indoors, took off anorak, changed into slippers prepared to sit back down at computer, had a thought, went back out to car, tried the fold away key that resides in the remote thingy, hooray it works, back indoors change back into shoes, put anorak etc back on , off to Tesco, shop wait for hailstorm to pass over , back home further investigation,key has a very slight bend about 2/3rds along. I'll have a go with vice and pliers & hope that sorts it.

Catriona likes this.
  7. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Recycling may be good for the environment but nor for me! I took mine out today tripped over it on the bottom step of the stairs and went flying! So now nursing a bruised hip and knees

8. LesleySM

I haven't seen cotton hankies in years!

9. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Pages of them on eBay and Amazon.

10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

People who post pictures which include part of their bookcases but in which the Titles are not readable:)

Zou and Catriona like this.
  11. Catriona

:D:D:p

12. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

OK, just for you...
    9983cess.jpg

;)

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Surely far worse is to see that the books aren't all the same way up?

14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I can't read the title on the fluffy grey one in the middle!

SXH likes this.
  15. Catriona

Just for you!
    Re my March First View)

Gliding Log book, Elementary and Solo booklets
    A dictionary of Science
    Travellers multilingual phrasebook
    When we were very young (A A Milne)
    Why Scottish Philosophy Matters (Alexander Broadie, 2000)
    Italy Travellers Handbook 1975
    The Observer's Tourist Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland 1976
    Science Data Book
    French Made Simple
    Florence Guide
    French/English/French dictionary
    Passport to Italian
    Bartholemew's British Isles Pocket Atlas 1952
    RSPB Handbook of British birds
    Bletchley Park Brainteasers
    The Don Camillo Omnibus by Giovanni Guareschi 1955 (price 4/6)
    A Christmas Carol (Charles Dickens)

I think that's all you can see!

Ha!
    PS Just realised there's more in the second picture, but you'll just have to use your imagination. Mainly cook books and philosophy books/periodicals.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    Learning likes this.
  16. LesleySM

I have no idea what people would make of my bookcases, I have everything from Terry Pratchett novels to forensic medicine textbooks on them

John Farrell and Catriona like this.
  17. Catriona

I used to have the same. We went to every library book sale in Ruislip when in London and of course, it all was sold by the boxful. David made the study walls into bookshelves, but still they ended up double stacked. Also in the cupboard in the livingroom and anywhere else available. When I moved, I got the mobile library round a couple of times and decanted nearly them all. The old paperbacks got chucked and I ended up with just a few reference books and novels. However, I started using a Kindle and I daren't look online to see how many I've got through in the last seven years!

EightBitTony and Zou like this.
  18. Catriona

I guess that's not so bad. Approximately two per week (books) purchased for my Kindle. Only 734 books in my Kindle library. :)

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have a few text books and reference books but mostly novels, reference works are now mainly on-line and professional documentation likewise or I have copies as PDF files.

Catriona likes this.
  20. LesleySM

About the same in mine and a lot of them I also have the physical book as well!

I even have some favourites from Audible so I can have them read to me when I can't sleep usually works very well so a single novel lasts me ages I put one on and curl up and next thing I know the book has gone a few pages on after I fell asleep so I have go back to the last thing I remember the next time