1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

A reminder yet again about an exhibition for Scottish women photographers.
    First one I've ever seen which asks you to submit photos in CMYK colour profile.
    Stuff it. No can do in Elements 10.

2. Catriona

Or shredded wheat! Don't know why my hubby used to like those straw bales.

3. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

It seems that the full version of Photoshop can convert your files - I've had a look but can't make head nor tail of how to do it, but perhaps some kind soul with a full PS version and the relevant knowledge can convert the files for you?

Cheers, Jeff

Catriona likes this.
  4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Hang on a minute. When I was on loan at Nabisco in Welwyn, we had someone write in saying he was living on Shredded Wheat. Ate a family pack a day. I think legal wrote back advising him to seek advice about a balanced diet.

My old gran bought a pack when it was launched in 1926 and took it to the GP to ask if it was fit to feed to my father (5y/o). He said only if you want him to live on hay like a horse.

Catriona likes this.
  5. Catriona

Kind thought, but I really can't be ersed! Don't like the display mode either, so not really fussed.
    https://shutterhub.org.uk/call_for_...rFWvnEI1XRIYPZAW25HS5GVzjn9cGsPlgaGhdAAgZfo7M

6. RovingMike

Edit / Convert to Profile and it gives you choice of Working CMYK US Web coated v2, or lower down PS 4 or 5 CMYK. Sounds very old fashioned.

Catriona likes this.
  7. Catriona

I think they must have gotten a job lot of frames. Utterly ghastly! We'll print and frame for you? Big incentive (not). Weird competition.
    Surprised being shown on the RPS Contemporary Group in FB.

8. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Whenever I see a photo of Arthur Scargill, I'm reminded of Shredded Wheat!

Catriona likes this.
  9. RovingMike

But whatever way they print them, if using inks, they will be CMYK.

Catriona likes this.
  10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

People who park in a legitimate parking space with their hazard warning lights on! As soon as another vehicle parks behind them the nearside light is obscured and any one approaching from either direction could be forgiven for thinking they were indicating to pull out. If it is legal to park there you aren't a hazard.

Likewise vehicles being driven with amber beacons when they aren't excessively wide, long or high and are maintaining the same speed as the other traffic. Why do they think they need the beacon on?

AndyTake2 likes this.
  11. RovingMike

You must get out more than I do. Not seen that.

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I saw two example of misuse of hazard warning lights only this afternoon.

13. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

My gear grind today. I have just been to Tesco. The guy on the checkout was a friendly enough guy, no complaints about that but my god was he minging. His hair and beard was unkempt, he looked like a tramp. His shirt wasn't big enough to hold in his beer gut and his shirt was so stained and crusty it looked like he had thrown up down the front from his chin to the top of his belly. The rear of the shirt was filthy too. I also believe his hands were allergic to soap and a nailbrush. I am just glad the few items I got were in packaging.

How can people let themselves look like that and as importantly why hasn't a manager pulled him aside for his appearance. I know it is a hard thing to do, I have had to do it about someones personal hygiene, but he was a customer facing member of staff!

14. dream_police

It's not misuse. They are park anywhere lights no matter the obstruction.:rolleyes:

GeoffR likes this.
  15. dream_police

The fact that the BBC still cannot show local news in HD. How long have we had HD programmes? My local news comes from MediaCity as do a lot of other programs so why on earth they can’t switch on the HD camera.

AndyTake2 and Gezza like this.
  16. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Is it more likely to be broadcast bandwidth than recording quality? (I dunno, just musing).

17. dream_police

I have no idea. Just find it strange that BBC One news is on HD channel then I have to go to SD one for local. ITV local is on HD ITV channel.
    Out of interest is that same for your local news in your areas of the country?

18. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Same here.

19. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Same down here as well.

20. dream_police

In fact I have just googled it. It is lack of broadcast capacity apparently.