1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have a coleman stove.

2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

As a young man I used to eat them a lot and used to love them. A couple of years ago, my SIL bought me one for Christmas (as a joke). It certainly wasn't as good as I remembered them!

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Facing shelves up is a respectable supermarket term used by managers and shelf stackers. No need for the @#*.

4. Learning

Just enjoy your holiday in Malta. I am sure that your daughter will enjoy party time at home. I hate to think what you find when you get back.

5. Learning

Is that better than Ethelred the Ill-Named?
    I think it rather sad that the mods no-longer give us these distinguished titles. I actually complained to get my own insulting title back.
    I notice that another member of some seniority has the title 'Senior Knobhead' You wouldn't get that these days would you?
    Just look at the members contributing to this thread. They are all worthy of something better than 'Well known member.'

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

What can I say? When I think back to when I rescued her from the docks, fish wife by day - professional arm wrestler by night, she is a picture of modesty and decorum.

Footloose and dream_police like this.
  7. Learning

Fray Bentos steak and ale pie tastes best when on offer. A dozen tins might well be very welcome if you end up in self quarantine for a couple of weeks. A mixed case of red plonk might make a suitable lubricant.

John Farrell likes this.
  8. Learning

I saw her as the manager not the shelf stacker.

9. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Poundland do the Steak & Kidney pie and pudding, but not the Steak and Ale...

10. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Wouldn't a case of good red wine be better, in a life threatening situation?

Zou likes this.
  11. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Dave used to love Fray Bentos pies but he would be sitting there ready for his feast and half an hour later he would utter a plaintive cry of "When will it be ready?" and the reply with the kitchen would be: "When I get the f***ing lid off!"

dangie likes this.
  12. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Which reminds me of must be 45+ years ago. My young nephews and niece were travelling through London and I had to put them up for a night in my one room bedsit.I bought a big Fray Bentos steak & kidney pie and they thought I was a great cook.Never tasted one since.

13. Learning

Not too keen on offal, but if there is more steak than kidney, they would do. Pies not the puddings.

14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Has BJ told BBC R4 to dumb down?
    Today's brain teaser.
    Find a two-digit number which is 6 times as large as the sum of its digits.

(Today’s #PuzzleForToday has been set by Dr Nicos Georgiou, a senior mathematics lecturer from the University of Sussex.)

15. RovingMike

54?

Catriona likes this.
  16. Catriona

That's the answer I came to as I poured my cereal into the bowl!

PS It reminded me of how I always knew a number had been transposed in a series, if things didn't reconcile. Divisible by 9!

17. RovingMike

Ah I had not heard of it, so pondered for a full 30secs. But could be tricky.

Catriona likes this.
  18. RovingMike

54 cornflakes was it?

Catriona likes this.
  19. Catriona

No, silly. It was the rice krispies I counted. :p

20. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

glad it wasn't Weetabix....

Catriona likes this.