1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Having heard my call to the local radio station played back in full I now know that, when I have a head full of cold as I do today (all effing week, in fact), I sound like Frank Sidebottom on Mogadon.

Seriously? I'm from Essex, how the flip do I sound like a comedy Lancastrian?

2. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

Finally managed to get out to post my letter.

Only took me 2 hours instead of 5 minutes :mad:

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Bloomin shame.

Derek W likes this.
  4. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

There is an awful lot of this stuff which is attributable to mental well-being. Not knowing what causes a pain, anxiety about suffering pain etc, can really exacerbate the problem.

I know if I am in a good mood the pain is reduced, until I do something to piss it off, or one of the other issues (usually the patella trying to go walkabouts) gets to me - then the pain levels will increase.
    As a former Sports Therapist I know that the best solution for me would be physical therapy at least twice a week - previous shoulder issues have taught me that. There is something to the Placebo Effect of just having someone do something, rather than be told 'there's bugger all we can do' and I have no issue with either receiving such an effect, just as I used it whilst treating others.
    The psychological side of things would of course be helped by seeing a Psychotherapist or just ranting at someone who deserves it:p

5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Ah well, be my guest.

Must say I didn't realise how riddled with psychological pain I was until I married a psychotherapist. The IBS pain disappeared completely and the pinched nerves in my neck, which I'd had very painful spinal injections for, have not bothered me in years, despite, so neurologist said in September, being rather worse. Solution was to go and swing a racket at a ball or shuttlecock for an hour a week. Knees which had had three scrapes and consultant said wouldn't last another year have also not bothered me for about 8 years.

6. Catriona

It's 21.7degC in my livingroom. My hands are still icy. Just got my wrist warmers to see if that makes a difference! What is wrong with me??

7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I’d hazard a guess that you are cold.

Zou and Catriona like this.
  8. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Are you holding a large gin and tonic with too much ice?

Graeme

Zou, John Farrell and Catriona like this.
  9. Catriona

No! Perhaps I should be. :)

John Farrell likes this.
  10. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Just skip the ice

John Farrell and Catriona like this.
  11. Catriona

It's weird.. I don't know if my Raynaud's syndrome is the fault ((dreadful circulation) but I always feel cold after eating dinner. Boo!

12. RovingMike

I recommend a nice Vindaloo....

Catriona likes this.
  13. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

otherwise known as a ring stinger.

14. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

One of my friends on his first visit to an Indian (he would like to point out he was teenage boy trying to look tough to all his friends or as he freely admits "A complete prat") insisted on asking for the hottest curry and as he liked prawns he ordered a prawn phaal (I think that is the spelling, the one thing hotter than a vindaloo another friend who loves very hot curry claimed he had one once and his tongue went numb for 6 hours) even his friends warned him,

They had to get a train home and as they were standing at the platform his stomach started to make some loud noises and he realised if he passed wind rectally things might "follow through" as it were. Finally the train came and disaster! There were no toilets on it!

He describes the next twenty or so minutes as the "most uncomfortable of my entire life and yes that includes those boots!" (Another story, which was recent and proves he has not entirely stopped being a complete prat 40 years later)

Finally the train pulled into his station and he saw the toilet! The cleaner was in there and about to lock up for the night, he says he jumped the fence and barged the cleaner out the way and finally reached a toilet!

He came out 2 hours later and 3 stone lighter to find the station had closed down and he was locked in! Cue having to call for help, having the transport police turn up to let him out and ask him lots of questions as to how he got locked in to begin with. He says when he said (somewhat weakly) "I had a prawn phaal 4 stops down the line" the copper said "That'll do it" and sent him on his way

AndyTake2 and SqueamishOssifrage like this.
  15. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Developed a severe pain in my knee some weeks ago. Saw the consultant yesterday to learn that my knee is in an awful state. "How can that be?", says I, "It must have taken years to get like this and the pain came on very suddenly not long ago."

" That's not uncommon. I know a couple of front row forwards with knees worse than yours and they have no pain either - yet". That's no comfort and the not so thinly veiled reference to my size doesn't help either!

How much is a new knee?

MickLL

16. RovingMike

Before or after NHS is privatised?

17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Considerably more than the cost of parts and installation

18. RovingMike

I understand Messrs Burke & Hare Consumer Healthcare Ltd do a range of refurbished ones.

Footloose likes this.
  19. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Some friends and I go for an Indian meal. Usually I would get a vindaloo (though these days I just go for madras), but a couple of years ago I noticed chicken phaal on the menu. I'd heard my wife taking about phaals, from her time studying in Manchester and visiting the Curry Mile, so decided to try it. I managed to finish the chicken but couldn't eat the rice. The waiter told me that it had enough chillies in it to do his family for a month! Thankfully I didn't suffer from the digestive upsets your friend endured.

20. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Whilst I understand and acknowledge that spicy food is addictive I cannot fathom why anyone would want their food so highly spiced that the flavours are subsumed into the general discomfort created by so much chilli.