1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Funeral today. Ex-work colleague. Now more 'ex' than before (and he won't mind me saying that).

As time passes the number of ex-work mates funerals increases, but the number of ex-work mates there to say goodbye decreases. That's life.

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Just spent two hours at the optician.
    1) Got to get my cataracts done now!
    2) Can't see a ruddy thing at the moment.
    3) Walking back home was an exercise in how a drunk staggers home from the pub.
    4) the lights there have flared up my scalp sensitivity now prickling and burning.

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I had a spate of them some years back, but as most retired, I have lost touch. Just got a census from our industry association. Shows only 5% are over 50, 1% over 60 and there's probably me and a couple of others over 70. Getting lonely.

4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Rather than drive home this morning in the rush hour after the course cock up, I waited until around 0820 ish before I left. 10 mins into my return journey got a phone call from our company saying that GMP had in fact royally F’ed up and I did in fact have a course on as expected and could I return as my students were waiting for me. I did, the students were annoyed as no one in GMP told them that they were at fault. They were soon told! Course started an hour late. My free paid for day didn’t quite work out.

5. Catriona

What a bunch GMP appear to be. I can see you going elsewhere soon.

6. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

They aren’t my employer, just one of the companies customers. They pay us to deliver some training. They are useless TBF. Obviously they used to be my employer. Funny now I’m away from them I can see and experience things I didn’t when in their employ.

Catriona likes this.
  7. Catriona

I was slow picking up on the letters, but got it. Yes, being on the outside looking in must be a shock now.

8. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I heard that you are outstanding in your field.:D

Zou likes this.
  9. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Only on sunny days:)

10. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

And no slouch on the couch?

11. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Remembering a previous illustrated post on another thread it is not only his head that Martin has hair.

12. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I know today's problems have been trivial but the sheer culmination of them has ground my gears big time!

My clothes dryer collapsed as I don't have an overhead light in the living room (bulb blew ages ago and the friend who has no fear of stepladders (unlike me) hasn't been round for a while) I won't be able to sort it out until the weekend as I was in a massive hurry to get to work I had to leave my washing still damp piled up on the floor

Had an interview that whilst it was pleasant enough I shall be very surprised if I get it.

Bus back went past where Dave used to live, slightly outraged to see that decent little pub had closed down possibly due to the landlady's language, (Derek and Clive fan with a voice like a foghorn imagine her launching into the "Whats the worse job you ever had?" routine at full volume across the bar)

Got back in time to go for a quick one in the Bell's prior to having to wait in for my Amazon delivery I said I would be there by 6 but as they'd already tried to deliver and I had the whole "Why aren't you there?! Age restricted product you must sign for it!" routine (I do not like paying Amazon Pantry delivery costs when I already pay for Prime anyway but thing is I have sussed you get so much better prices on Pantry that I save even after delivery costs) I wasn't sure it would happen

So into Bell's - I forgot to check West Ham were at home still that saved me some money.

Co-Op, needed a few bits like cat food as due to waiting for the delivery from Amazon the cats were down to a handful of dry and the dregs of a tin of cheap tuna cat food if Amazon let me down I figured they would have to eat me tomorrow.

Okay so due to network problems they can't take cards but I had cash...They can't take the £3 I have on my membership card off my bill but the points will be added tomorrow so okay.....But the NHS cards aren't being accepted either so I lose my 10% discount okay its only about a quid but as one of the Co-Op's rivals says "every little helps!"

So 5.45 and as I cross the road I see the Amazon guy walking down the steps of my building with an empty trolley. Of course he ignores me yelling at him to wait!

So I get in and waiting in the hallway are multiple boxes of cat food, tins of cat food, dry cat food by the sack and somewhere in all this a pack of Stella (Amazon Pantry does actually save money but you have to get 4 items but on the cat food even after delivery I saved around £14 so 18 cans of Stella for a tenner was the fourth item)

There is no lift so I have to get 3 heavy boxes the last one of which I have to open and take the contents up in two trips I very nearly fell backwards down the stairs several times but finally I get it all in ...

Ganzi gets all excited at all this stuff arriving he ain't too bright but he knows what a big box of cat food looks like (I think I got too much but then last month I thought I had enough and ended up when I was short having to buy some more so if it is too much then with next month being shorter I can buy less) he gets so excited that when I go to put the boxes on the table in the kitchen he has only wee'd over it!

So I wipe that up , then fall over one of the opened boxes

I finally sit down, reach into my bag and find my best pen has fallen apart so I have to find the other half and reassemble it

And I am going down with a bad head cold

13. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

As long as he isn't upstanding in his field

14. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

...but apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?

Zou and John Farrell like this.
  15. John King

John King Well-Known Member

Why is it that the multitude of weather forecasts in papers, news channels, radio or even the Met Office simply cannot get the forecasts to correspond. The forecast from the Met Office at 8am this morning and the forecast given out on morning news are almost completely different and these differ on current forecasts that are shown on various websites. I know that forecasts are not a perfect science but the difference between the various sources of information relating to the weather are so diverse, just where do they get their information from?

16. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I just use whichever website gives you the best weather that day.

17. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I look out of the window.

MickLL

18. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

my seaweed, pine-cone, and dodgy knee are fairly reliable...

19. Catriona

Are my lights on?
    Are my lights off?
    No more needed here.

20. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Rumour has it that there are no windows in the Met Office;)