1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

The United Kingdom will become the Untied Kingdoms.

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Got persuaded to sort out pictures for a shutterbug contest - Scottish women photographers. Then I find out you have to submit them as CMYK profile images. Which I can't. Bums!

3. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Amazon drivers yet again when I get paid I bulk buy cat food so whatever happens they get fed. And yes there was a decent offer on a few beers and I needed to buy 4 items for Amazon pantry to deign to accept my money,

And once again even though Amazon's own website says when it comes to age restricted products any person can sign as long as they can prove they are over 21 the driver wants me to be at home to sign for it! I have had previous deliveries where they have accepted downstairs (who is well over 21) signing for it but no this one will not have it. I am more worried about the cat food and I know how it comes in boxes labelled Whiskas but the driver won't even deliver that even though it comes from Amazon and NOT Amazon Pantry so it's in a box clearly labelled "Whiskas" so my cats are down to half a tin of crap with the local shop and some dry and if it does not get delivered tomorrow then I have to buy some more wet cat food (or be eaten) but I have paid for the months worth and then some of cat food!

4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I left home at 0630 (to avoid traffic) this morning to get to my training venue which took just over 30 mins. Arrive and found the course isn’t on as GMP forgot to add it to their system. Get back in my car and my phone automatically tells me how long it is to get home. 1 hour and 20 for just over 20 miles!
    At least I still get my days pay which is a bonus.

5. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

This week my loaves have been very variable and not up to standard. On investigation I found that the yeast I have been using is way out of date.

Eventually SWMBO tells me that she found a packet hidden at the back of the cupboard and put it into my 'baking box'. It's now in the bin.

MickLL

PS I reckon I'm lucky to have such a trivial thing to moan about!!

AndyTake2 and Catriona like this.
  6. Catriona

I remember those days of leaving at 6.30am to go to work. Funnily enough, I didn't mind it too much as I loved what I was doing. For absolutely ages afterwards, I still woke up at 5.40 am ready to jump out of bed.
    Glad you still get paid. I smile when I remember I didn't know what my normal net pay was for the last few years of my working days in London.

7. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Fingers crossed. It's still early in the day...

8. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

When I was working and traveling so much I got into a pretty bad state at one time . The cause was that I flew when the plane was scheduled, worked very long hours in many different time zones and had a very disrupted sleep pattern. It got better when the airlines introduced 'beds' in business class but I never truly conquered it. When I was in the London office (very rare) I would leave home at 6am , be in the office by about 7:15 and leave when it suited me. The reason was twofold. First it made the journey so much easier (leaving later often meant standing all the way to London) and second I had an hour or so with no phone ringing and no colleagues wanting to know what XXXXland was like.

These days I get up at 6:45 , have a coffee and half an hour alone then I wake my Grandsons and feed them while their Mother prepares packed lunch and clothes. Usually I also do the school, run (or more precisely school walk!) but for the past few weeks I've had ankle and now knee trouble and am very immobile. Sometimes I wonder if I hinder more than help but I enjoy it so much that I won't stop unless I have to.

MickLL

Catriona likes this.
  9. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

My commute is measured in seconds.

10. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

You are clearly quite extraordinary. Never had to apply for a job, a commute of seconds, drinking Ambrosia (OK I made that up!) and have hair on your head even if it has slipped slightly from where God intended it to be. :)

Good luck to you.

MickLL

11. Catriona

You live in the byre??

John Farrell likes this.
  12. Catriona

I was very lucky in my work career. I chose the jobs I wanted. Was never turned down for one, although I turned a couple down as unsuitable after being offered them. I feel sorry for those applying for many jobs now and not even getting an acknowledgement. My last success was finding the job my little sister has had for a few years now. I trawled the internet and found what I thought would suit her. It does suit her, fortunately, although her health is deteriorating so I wonder how long it will last.

13. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I live next door to work. Most skilled, full-time farm workers do. I've also been very successful in my job winning many accolades over the years, so I do get approached by potential employers.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  14. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I live where I work. The wife keeps me busy.

Catriona likes this.
  15. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

What's this "work" thing you guys keep talking about? :p

16. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

It's the thing I do that means I can walk away from the forum having only made a partial arse of myself instead of a complete and utter one. :D

17. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

It is a bit of light relief from all the heavy stuff here;)

Catriona and MJB like this.
  18. Catriona

Rest assured, we all (or mostly all) appreciate your efforts every day. You are a lucky man.

19. Catriona

Eyes examination at 2pm. Not looking forward to it - or afterwards. :(

20. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I've just used the last of my bulk-buy of Acdo washing powder from 1996! The box I've just chucked had an offer to buy a replica Corgi model van with Acdo livery - the offer ended in July 1997.

I suppose I'll have to buy some more now.

Cheers, Jeff

John Farrell likes this.