1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

My reading of the law is that you are legally obliged to display your houses number, but only if it has one. If it has a name only, then I should think you're legally required to display that. The law doesn't say 'every house must have a number'.

But I could be wrong (and it's a bloody old law from the 1800's)

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

They could do with an official cartographer to explain why 'Team GB' is a stupid and inaccurate name.

NickM and AndyTake2 like this.
  3. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Oh go on then, I'll ask. What name should it be? :)

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Team Of Sad Stomping English Ranting Showers?

NickM likes this.
  5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I read this as meaning that every house should have a number "The commissioners shall from time to time cause the houses and buildings in all or any of the streets to be marked with numbers as they think fit".

If "The commissioners" haven't given your house a number it isn't your fault but theirs.
    Judging by the number of houses that don't have numbers, I would say that it isn't being enforced.

Nice little earner for some one, painting numbers on houses, say £25 a time.

7. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Two things. Wives who share stomach bugs and toilets that are 6" too far away from the basin when your body chooses to empty from both ends.

8. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Who are currently stomping all over South Africa, and will do the same to Scotland come the Six Nations.

Catriona likes this.
  9. Catriona

Haha! You've got to be good at something... ;)

10. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Sad stomping and ranting, it seems;)

Catriona likes this.
  11. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

For many years I thought the full name of the Scotland football team was 'Scotland Nil'

Zou likes this.
  12. Catriona

Hours after the end of the world, a border dispute emerged between heaven and hell. God invited the devil for conversations to find a way to resolve this dispute quickly. Satan, the devil, proposed a soccer game between heaven and hell.

God, always fair, told the devil, "The heat must be affecting your brain, the game would be so one sided, don't you know all the 'good' players go to heaven?"

The devil, smiling, responded "Yeah, but we've got all the refs'..."

Learning, Trannifan and John Farrell like this.
  13. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I hear ya. We've been passing something back and forward since November, although I think we're both out of the woods now.

14. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Don't you have an inside toilet?

SqueamishOssifrage, gray1720 and MJB like this.
  15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Great Britain ≠ The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. If they mean GB they should only select athletes from the area known as GB. Simplest and most accurate name would probably be 'Team UK" - for Olympics/etc. where the contingent nations of the UK don't compete in their own name.

16. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

That might be alright for a shot putter, but I don't think all that writing would fit on a running vest :)

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Bear with me, I'm pushing at the limits of creativity here... How about simplifying it to "UK"? ;)

dangie and Catriona like this.
  18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Also, 'Team GB" but in the vests/shirts they say "GBR" - it's a branding nightmare!

19. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Tony and his wife are bears... :D

Zou and John Farrell like this.
  20. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Team GB. Soon the NI bit will be proper Irish.