1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Please explain why you think the above.

The actual question on the form is , " Tell us how far you can WALK , taking into account any aids you use". (My caps and bold)

The guidance notes also talks about walking and possible aids. Aids are defined and might include sticks, crutches, zimmers or even prostheses etc (so Douglas Bader probably wouldn't get PIP) - but NOT wheelchairs. You are also tasked with declaring whether the act of WALKING causes pain, dizziness ,breathlessness, tiredness etc. I repeat what I said above - reliability and safety are vitally important.

Everything I've read, everything now on my desk in front of me , everything I've seen on line deals with WALKING not 'mobilising' . Unless you can show me some (respected) source for your assertion I have to believe that it's codswallop.

As far as Lesley's remark about planning a journey is concerned it's right as far as it goes - and it does form part of the mobility component . However even in that question there are nuances. It may be true that one has the ability to plan a journey but if making such a journey causes undue stress or is unsafe or needing a 'carer' along as well then the score in that section can be fairly readily increased. Dare I suggest that you took it too literally and thought only about the bit 'sitting in front of a computer'.

MickLL

2. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

PIP mobility questions and points awarded for each:

1. Planning and following journeys.
    a. Can plan and follow the route of a journey unaided. 0 points.
    b. Needs prompting to be able to undertake any journey to avoid overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant. 4 points.
    c. Cannot plan the route of a journey. 8 points.
    d. Cannot follow the route of an unfamiliar journey without another person, assistance dog or orientation aid. 10 points.
    e. Cannot undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant. 10 points.
    f. Cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid. 12 points.

2. Moving around.
    a. Can stand and then move more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 0 points.
    b. Can stand and then move more than 50 metres but no more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 4 points.
    c. Can stand and then move unaided more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 8 points.
    d. Can stand and then move using an aid or appliance more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 10 points.
    e. Can stand and then move more than 1 metre but no more than 20 metres, either aided or unaided. 12 points.
    f. Cannot, either aided or unaided, –
    (i) stand; or
    (ii) move more than 1 metre. 12 points.

To get an award of the mobility component you need to score:

8 points for the standard rate
    12 points for the enhanced rate

3. Derek W

DX courier service

They were supposed to deliver my new passport to me this morning, the tracking suddenly goes "dead" and is replaced by a message to call them as there was an issue.

I give them a call and they say there driver tried to deliver my passport but he thought there was a problem with the address so decided not to deliver it..... huh!??

I pointed out to the chap that no one has tried to deliver anything to me this morning and that my property is the only one on the road so what exactly was the "problem" with the address?

I think more than likely the courier couldn't find the address so just decided to say there was a problem with the delivery address.

I cant just organise a re-delivery either as it now needs to be referred back to the passport office and only they can authorise for another delivery "atempt" to be made.

Grrrrrrr..........

4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I had an issue with them too when delivering my passport. I contacted them and they were helpful to be honest. They passed my mobile number to the driver, who then gave me a call the following day when he was close so that he could speak to me for directions. I passed on info re the app What3words and suggested that they use that. He was passing it up through the company so hopefully they'll start to use it like a lot of companies are now.

5. Derek W

The guy I spoke to seemed really disinterested, said it was out of his hands and now back down to the passport office to decided what happens next.

I guess it all depends on who you get on the phone as to how much real help and assistance you get.

6. Derek W

Passport arrived this morning.

The delivery person phoned me this time and as I suspected he was totally lost and couldn't find my address

dream_police likes this.
  7. dream_police

It must be a nightmare for some places. My postcode haas 26 houses on it, yet none of us have a house number. The road, although rural, is quite busy but drivers will have to slow down to try and read house names and it's probably easy to give up.
    I am surprised that we don't see the option for What3Words on address fields.

8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

There's 19 houses in our village and no street names. We're number 26 (our neighbours are 14,15 and 21), there are three number 12s and 23 & 24 are the same house.

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Is your village called Numberwang?

beatnik69, LesleySM and MJB like this.
  10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I am not sure whether it is still the case but householders used to be legally obliged to display a house number.

11. dream_police

As far as I am aware I don't have one. None on the deeds, post code check with the PO only shows house names, so if the law states I have to have one, then I'll continue breaking the law I guess.

12. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I've only lived in 2 houses with a number. Two others just had names.

13. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

The four houses I've lived in with numbers, have all been single or combinations of 1,2,and 3. The other one had a name.

14. dream_police

Mine started life as a farm in 1755 (I think but can't remember and can't be bothered to go look outside at the date in the wall) Looking at old maps it still has the same name as it did back then.

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

You, of all people, should know that there is no requirement for the law to make any kind of sense!

Zou likes this.
  16. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

A friend moved into a Housing Association property 2 years ago, which had just been finished. On moving in, everyone discovered that their keys for the post boxes were all mixed up, some people not able to get their letters because their key was in a property which still hadn't been let out, so their respective keys could not be switched over.

Some months later, following considerable moaning about who should park where, the Building contractor comes along with a copy of the site plan - which contradicts with the numbers allocated to the houses ... Unfortunately, the Numpty concerned doesn't notice the numbers on the doors and his site map don't tally, so things end up in a bigger mess than before they were marked up!

Just to 'liven' things up, even more, someone from the Council has just recently come along and put 'Disabled' signposts on bays which are NOT the ones that have been allocated to disabled tenants! Everybody is wondering what else the HA, Council and Builders are going to make a pig's ear of next ....

17. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

If my memory of history is correct, Napoleon fixed it for France - all properties have (visible) numbers, and I think they're standardised.

18. dream_police

Why? I was more concerned with eating donuts and shooting guns than the actual law.:)

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

#stereotypes

20. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

"Official [insert business type here] partner of [insert team name or sporting organisation here].

Why does TeamGB need an official estate agent?