1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

So when you try and embed a YouTube link here do you click on the media icon from the menu to embed?

Or are you just posting the link directly into the reply box?

2. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I click the media icon.

3. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

FWIW after spending enough of my voluntary redundancy from the bank I was able to claim but it was more hassle than it was worth and anything I did earn had to be declared so they could take it off.

What was more useful was the child tax credits we were eligible for.

If I had been in rented accommodation I could have got my rent paid and I think free council tax but as a homeowner you get no help towards a mortgage.

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

It's a minefield and it's in the DSSs best interests to make it a confusing minefield to navigate. The number of people at work with partners who could claim ESA and PIP but who don't, because they assume they're not eligible (neither are fully means tested, so are available to people with partners in full time work), is staggering.

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Seems to affect most (maybe all?) linked videos I've seen posted here for a couple of weeks at least.

Catriona likes this.
  6. NickM

NickM Well-Known Member

If AP can't even spell it, they have no need for my answers to it.

[​IMG]

7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Think there's a pride element to it. People who have not grown up in families on benefits don't naturally think that way. Our best examples are E Europeans, who wife has to treat for BUPA quite often. They suffer terrible accidents and can't work, lose all their savings trying to survive and pay rent, but see benefits as the ultimate shame. They have to be dragged to it.

8. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

PIP has no means tested element.

I think (but haven't bothered to check) that you can't have ESA and PIP at the same time.

MickLL

9. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

A friend of ours is on the bones of her arse, massively in debt (including to us and other friends) is out of work, yet refuses to even research what she may be entitled to let alone claim it.

10. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

You can have ESA and PIP at the same time.
    ESA is for those who can't work - either temporarily or permanently, but this does not automatically mean they can't get around, which is where PIP comes in.
    PIP is available to anyone who has mobility problems or needs help at home. It is a bitch to claim, and like other benefits the DWP will try to come up with reasons why someone can't get it. The criteria for mobility is whether someone can 'mobilise' 20 metres/

That isn't 'Walk' 20 metres, just get there. According to the paperwork, those with amputated legs 'may' be eligible, but it isn't guaranteed, as they may be able to get around on crutches.
    Using a wheelchair doesn't automatically qualify either - the rules are a PITA.

11. dream_police

20m! Is that all? I reckon most people could drag themselves 20m if needed. That really is a very short distance. I wonder how many people have to lie or exaggerate their condition to qualify, even though they really are in need?

12. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I suggest that you read the PIP information booklet (available on line) and , if really interested, the guidance for assessors (also available on line). The rules are detailed and complex but not as draconian as some folk make out. The moving 20 meters for example talks about walking, repeat walking, not crawling or any other means of moving. It also talks about reliability and safety - to the applicant . In addition the 20m applies to the highest level of benefit - there is a lower level as well.

I won't go on much more. Suffice it to say that I've helped several claimants (all successfully) and have read the guidance many times.

One thing I do agree with is that it's a bitch to claim. A long and complex form and it's important to have read the guidance. For example the 20m question. It doesn't ask if you can move 20m it asks can you reliably , i.e. repeatedly, move 20m and do it safely - and it suggests that reliably means on 50% of the days over a 12 month. (this is all memory so I guess I'll be 'nit-picked' over this!). All this is 'hidden' in the general guidance notes and is not alongside the guidance on moving. The DWP argument is that the advice about reliability, for example, applies to all of the questions and not just to moving so it's inappropriate to repeat it for every question or to link it to a specific activity.

My point is that claiming PIP isn't easy but my experience (I stress MY experience) is that it's fair. I've come across none of the horror stories that get reported and I reckon that I've got more direct experience than most.

MickLL

daft_biker likes this.
  13. dream_police

Thanks for the detailed reply.

14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I do remember when my husband was diagnosed with lung cancer and at home after major op, a Macmillan nurse visited and said to fill out this form for the DWP. This was 2012. He did and subsequently got a benefit payment. After some time, maybe a year, he got one of those forms to fill in on his fitness capabilities. He filled it in, honestly, and lost his benefit. So be it, we thought. I was working and we were managing.
    A few weeks later the benefit started up again. I don''t know why, we didn't query it and accepted it gratefully. It continued till he died. The nastiest thing I thought that happened, was because of the day he died, they claimed back half a week's worth. I ask you! I could have done without that slap in the face at that moment.

15. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

This, I believe, is a direct consequence of some benefits being paid ahead of their due date; and consequently the IR in its efforts to be fair to everybody, claws back any "unused" payments. I remember it happening (1974) when my wife's father (a Civil Servant) died, and his pension was clawed back from his bank account - the noise made by his recently bereaved wife was very memorable. I'm sure a more sensitive method could be found, but the Civil Service has its rules and traditions.

16. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

It's money out of the public purse so it must be reclaimed...
    However I am sure most of us can think of examples where "public purse" money never gets collected

Catriona likes this.
  17. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

thank you for explaining something that never made sense to me. Not long before he died Dave was assessed for PIP having previously been on DLA. Since despite it being repeatedly suggested he had never applied to be reassessed for DLA when the problems with his legs started etc. as a result he went from lowest rate personal care DLA to highest rate PIP in personal care and one short of highest rate for mobility.

The mark down on mobility was "Could plan a journey"

Well yes could sit in front of his PC and plan a journey all the way to the Artic, even pay for the flights with his credit card but could not have got out of his wheelchair or even got down the stairs at the time!

18. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

That I very much doubt. In its efforts to claim back easy money, yes. The hard stuff gets swept under the table.
    It was the seeming insensitivity which got me. I'm sure there are better ways to recover it. I had no problems with paying it back, just with the way and speed it was done.

19. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

My experience of the civil service is that they're in a lose-lose situation. If they apply the rules the public call them "jobsworths". If they show consideration in particular cases the media are sure to make claims of partiality and bias, not to mention the unpardonable sin of "wasting public money".

20. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

You're spot on with the assessment - the 50% of the time is something that is overlooked quite often - I have been on the receiving end of this for other benefits, where even in an appeal the 'judge' has said 'it doesn't work like that' and it isn't until I have shown the legislation that they just shut up. The guidelines for assessors are actually quite good, but the claimant must really know what these rules are (having someone like yourself helps) in order for them to answer the questions correctly.

Too many people say that they can walk the 20 metres, when in fact they are in pain whilst doing so. This just gives the DWP an excuse to cut the benefit, whereas there has been legal precedent which states that no-one should have to 'go through' pain.

I dug around on the government's website years ago in order to find the guidelines for assessors - it shouldn't be that tough to find the info, but it can be. The DWP like the fact that the claim process is a pain, so that it puts many off from claiming it.

EightBitTony and Zou like this.