1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Wossup Nige? Semper in excreta?

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Don't go there. Simples.

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Thank the non-existent god for company pensions.The Police pension is quite good isn't it?

4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Luckily it is quite good, yes.

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Well I certainly won't (either/or) order the burger again/return. If the quality is good I'm happy enough to return and eat something else, otherwise I'm out.

6. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

but not for future generations and like most old public sector pensions costs the country a fortune.

7. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Sod's law strikes again, bought a cheapy ink jet at the weekend as I want to print to some self adhesive vinyl, and I don't think the fuser in my laser would be very happy to be covered in molten vinyl. So today the laser is showing out of yellow toner - more expense. On top of that I got a letter from the letting agents this morning, my rent is going up by about £30 per month as from March, just hope pension rises will keep up, the state one and the RAF one usually go up, but my other employer's pension has only gone up by £2.03 in 20 years.

8. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yesterday I thought I'd made up my mind to finally go. Then today, call from son (unemployed at present) service charge at flat just gone up again (now x3 what it was when he bought 10 years ago and 16 year old Golf has broken down, £600 to fix, can I help out? Ah well, soldier on for a while longer I guess....

Catriona likes this.
  9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Ironic how the youngsters turn to us and not the other way round these days.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  10. Bazarchie

Does get any support from the State?

11. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Yes. That support is of the form 'apply for 10 jobs a day or we'll cut your benefits' and 'don't turn up and we'll cut your benefits' and 'get annoyed and we'll cut your benefits'. See, it's important that unemployed people understand the negative impact they're having on our economy.

What grinds my gears is our welfare system being absolutely utterly broken.

Zou, beatnik69 and NickM like this.
  12. Bazarchie

Thanks Tony

I admit I am not up to date with current benefits but my youngest daughter’s boyfriend suffered a major industrial accident 14 months ago and after a major battle all he receives does not cover his rent and leaves him nothing to live on. The daughter has fibromyalgia but is expected to fend for herself which means we have to support her and him.

13. RovingMike

No because he took an offer to go, so classed as making yourself unemployed. But that cash ran out long ago.

I have nothing against them requiring a willingness to work, but just fact you voluntarily accepted redundancy seems to be a trap. If you wait until they force you, you get the legal minimum. If you accept it is inevitable (as it has been for many, or most, local journalists) and take a higher offer, the state doesn't want to know you.

EightBitTony likes this.
  14. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Was talking to someone yesterday who is having problems navigating with the disability benefits system. I told him of a few he could apply for, which he wasn't aware of. This pretty well confirms my long-held suspicion that unless you don't know the name of some of the Benefits you could claim for, they don't tell you about them, because you haven't asked about them.

A few decades ago knew of people who were encountering this scenario:

Q: "What benefits can I claim?"
    A: "Tell me which ones you think you can, and I'll check if you are entitled to them."

One could have wondered somewhat cynically back in the 80's, that the staff involved had been told that passing on information about unasked-for benefits contravened the Official Secrets Act!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    EightBitTony likes this.
  15. Bazarchie

I have very little idea how the current benefits system works, but from the little I do know, it doesn’t work. I have mentioned before that my youngest daughter’s boyfriend had a nasty work place accident and is still unable to work. The employer admitted fault and their insurer initially made payments which covered most of his living expenses but they stopped after the company apparently received a reference request. He then had to try to get support from the state but the agencies provided little guidance and what they did provide was conflicting. Eventually he found someone who was helpful and knew the system. However the amount he receives allows him nothing to live on so he is reliant on family and friends funding his grocery costs etc. Hopefully he will receive a large payment for the injury but this unlikely in the near future.

16. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Without any egg suck teaching, maybe worth getting him to complete a benefit calculator and/or check with Citizens Advice, he may well be eligible.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/leaving-a-job/redundancy/voluntary-redundancy/

17. Catriona

I can't seem to be able to copy a link to a you tube piece of music any more. Wonder what I'm doing wrong. It copies over but when clicked on, it says it is unavailable. Hmm.

18. RovingMike

Must say I'd not looked at the issues, but rather trusted he had. That trust might be miosplaced. He is not the most diligent of people, but he did get carer's allowance for looking after his wife with cancer. She is now back at work. He has done odd jobs like proof reading a book translation and is now trying to set up as an English language tutor.

19. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

It could just be that the person who it belongs to has disabled embedding.

Catriona and DaveS like this.
  20. Catriona

It comes over to facebook, just not to here.