1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Umm....again no. The skilled working class always had far higher disposable income and were off to Torremolinos long before budget airlines created an explosion of travel amongst the lower middle class. The rise in acceptability of economy class travel amongst the middle class then gave companies the excuse to ban club class travel for most frequent fliers, further fueling the expansion of budget airlines.

The call is actually for a frequent flier levy, which climate activists say will not impact single holiday takers:
    “There is this narrative that tackling the climate change problem from aviation means stopping people from taking holidays or seeing their families – and actually, when you look at this data that is wrong,” said Leo Murray, director of innovation at 10:10 Climate Action. “What we need to do is target a minority of problem flyers and stop them from taking so many flights,” he added.

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

But logical though this seems, it is of course the one-dimensional logic that activists are famous for. It is entirely possible that if you significantly reduce the amount of travel, you will a) tip the budget airlines into bankruptcy, which is easily done, resulting in higher fares for all and / or b) since they are massively subsidising individual travel, create major cost increases for the people who it claims "will not be affected", while the companies reducing travel become fatter and richer......

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Let's get this right: mechanical beheading devices had been around for centuries but it was the French who brought them to a pitch of perfection and the French who used them for a useful purpose by reducing the surplus population of the socially useless wealthy. Given that the only other things they gave the world were bacteria and radioactive contamination we really should let them have their moment in the sun. :p :p :p :p :p

Learning likes this.
  4. Andrew Flannigan

That is one statement with which I totally agree. On the other hand, reading the latest Flybe annual report made me think how much such companies contribute to their own downfall.

Flybe Dash 8 aircraft leaving Exeter Airport IMG_3642.JPG

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

We should all lead by example, never wait for someone else to lead.

Zou, Andrew Flannigan and Catriona like this.
  6. EightBitTony

Glorious weather, crisp, blue skies, dry, cold, amazing hard light.

But I'm indoors shampooing the lounge carpet after spend 2 hours between 1am and 3am cleaning a lot of vomit off it.

7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Oh dear. Can't like your post but I hope all OK now and the place is fresher!

8. EightBitTony

Getting there thank you. I wish it had been the result of a raucous night of beer and wine, but it appears that neither of us are quite over the vomiting bug we've had on and off for a while.

9. Catriona

Oh my. I am sorry to hear you've had that.

10. Catriona

Why is it that when you do something you really shouldn't have in the morning, your body waits until a few hours later to say 'I wouldn't do that if I was you' ?

John Farrell likes this.
  11. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Your internal sadist.

Catriona likes this.
  12. Catriona

I think it was a turning the mattress too far. Ouch!

13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Hipster food places that serve burgers it is impossible to eat without them falling apart. Get the width/height ratio sorted please!

14. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Oh hell if it was Norovirus I pity you since I've encountered it twice and have less than fond memories.

15. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Just as long as he doesn't smack you round the ears with them, you're ok:p

On the subject of Pratchett, the TV production of The Watch looks like it is about as loosely based on the discworld version as BoJos grasp of reality.

https://amp.theguardian.com/books/b...be-nervous-about-the-bbcs-punk-rock-the-watch

16. Andrew Flannigan

It sounds like the market rearch version of Pratchett's books. :(

17. AndyTake2

Don't know about research, but it is certainly a PC'd version of something thought up after too many beers.
    Still, it is BBC America, being made in South Africa, so we can completely disavow it as having anything to do with Terry's work.

I do wish they would leave things alone if they can't do things properly. I guess having steam-punk transgender humans, a female Patrician, and anything else they can throw in there ticks some boxes. Never mind the stories which show the Watch's tolerance of just about anybody, and how everyone from female dwarfs to Goblins actually found their place in what was historically a 'man's' world.
    I just hope they don't get the rights to start on the witches as well. Can you imagine how they would try to PC that even more? Granny Weatherwax would spin in her grave.

Trannifan likes this.
  18. Andrew Flannigan

"I ate'nt dead"!

Trannifan and John Farrell like this.
  19. AndyTake2

Some more info on 'The Watch'
    https://discworldmonthly.co.uk/terr...FS_M6Q7aUD7XsSxKfXS7JWvnJtLyRNhHNPnF_-0M7ju6g

Basically, the IP rights were sold around 2012. Terry Pratchett could have some control over content. Narrativia (Terry's production company) wasn't mentioned as having any creative control
    Terry Died. Therefore any control was buggered.
    BBC, who were in talks to produce the show, chopped and changed so it was a different crew completely.
    BBC America find some people who want to do their own thing, and no-one can do a bloody thing about it.

There are some more images on this site - Carcer is a woman, aided by a couple of henchman with crossbows....with Picatinny rails on their crossbows. Carrot has orange hair but is not carrot shaped (all the carrots were busy working for Aldi probably)

Sybil Ramkin is no longer the large forceful woman of the books but instead is some sort of vigilante, Sam Vimes has transformed from Richard Dormer (Beric Dondarrion, Game of Thrones) into Pilou Asbæk (Euron Greyjoy, Game of Thrones), The Patrician is now a woman who's character is described as being between Elvis and Dracula (shouldn't that be Otto), Dibbler is now a snitch with a network.

It appears that there is still some sort of Unseen University, as there is, on paper at least, an Archchancellor. Beginning to wonder if the entire series should be Unseen.....

20. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

The company I work for has gone from bad to worse. Let's see how this latest ball of clag turns out!